• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV 6.0

Spencer100 said:
Is the Cockerill turret not the one the Saudi's picked to put on some of theirs?

That's right. The Saudis have purchased some LAV variants with the 105mm Cockerill CT-CV turret. It's a two man turret with an autoloader.

article in the canadian army today about the Bison replacement

https://canadianarmytoday.com/the-agile-eight-leveraging-the-lav-6-0-for-armoured-combat-support/

Now this will never happen but could they offload the Bison or m113 fam to the PRes? Make a couple reserve units mechanized. Heavier recovery would be helpful to deal with larger vehicles to recover.

MilEME09 said:
Now this will never happen but could they offload the Bison or m113 fam to the PRes? Make a couple reserve units mechanized. Heavier recovery would be helpful to deal with larger vehicles to recover.

My unit was one of the Infantry Reserve units that had the Grizzlies. We had a platoon of four.

Maybe one was operational at any point in time, and we were full reliant on the good humour of the local base shop to fix everything, which was quite alot.

Waste of time for those that don't have much of it, especially infantry, IMHO.

MilEME09 said:

For the love of god, no.

Old broken vehicles without spares provide zero capability.  The CAF can't afford old, broken down, fractional fleets.

Moving to a common LAV platform for the majority is actually a good news story from the perspective of service support; keeping old, clapped out equipment would not be.

dapaterson said:
For the love of god, no.

Old broken vehicles without spares provide zero capability.  The CAF can't afford old, broken down, fractional fleets.

Moving to a common LAV platform for the majority is actually a good news story from the perspective of service support; keeping old, clapped out equipment would not be.

How about sole source another 500 LAV's in the name of economic recovery ;)

MilEME09 said:

My M113 in 2RCR was older than me. 10 years older than me. And I drove that thing back in the 90's. The old tracks are tired, give them a rest. And I also recall that our Bison/LAV-2 fleet was also pretty much driven into the ground, if my old Mortar Bison was any indication.

Colin P said:
480 vehicles going away, replaced by 380, the magical shrinking army  ::)

Not sure, just throwing this out there.  Perhaps the TAPV numbers are somehow included in the calculation? 

That may be it, 500 TAPV, not exactly a like for like, but aren't they also replacing the armoured G-wagon?

No.  The TAPV was purchased as a replacement for the Coyote (LAV 2) recce vehicle (with it's advanced recce & surveillance kit) and the RG-31, which was a MRAP type we purchased urgently for use in Afghanistan.

The G-Wagon and Milcot replacement is a separate project altogether. 

So 75 RG-31 and 203 Coyotes being replaced? For once there might actually a vehicle neutral replacement? colour me surprised!

Between the 550 LAV 6.0, then the additional 360 LAV 6.0 based support vehicles...And the 500 TAPV...

I'm just as shocked as you are lol    :eek:

The surprise announcement of the 360 additional LAV 6.0 based support vehicles a few years ahead of what "Strong, Secure, Engaged" called for really surprised me.  One of the only pleasant surprises I can recall when it comes to CF procurement  ;)

MilEME09 said:

Not a good idea. The PRes have a difficult time training now and this would only compound it.

Hamish Seggie said:
Not a good idea. The PRes have a difficult time training now and this would only compound it.

OTOH, we could use them as decorations in front of the hundreds of armouries we have stationed across the country (you know, so that we can speedily mobilize local populations for WW1 :) ).

Hamish Seggie said:

I shall freely admit being wrong, if they are run into the ground, it isn't worth the effort. Buying more LAV's though, placing them in training centers like Wainwright, and gagetown for training, coupled with putting simulators in reserve armouries would allow for a closing the the reserve training delta. Keeps the economy of London happy too.

MilEME09 said:
I shall freely admit being wrong, if they are run into the ground, it isn't worth the effort. Buying more LAV's though, placing them in training centers like Wainwright, and gagetown for training, coupled with putting simulators in reserve armouries would allow for a closing the the reserve training delta. Keeps the economy of London happy too.

Pooled training resources, and units in proximity to those training pools tasked with those skills (and getting sims) is to my mind a valid CoA.

But not all units would get "the toys" which would cause internal friction, and the Army's traditional approach has been to try to placate everyone rather than make rational equipment distribution decisions.  (That's common to both Reg F and Res F; the thankfully cancelled CCV had among the most egregious examples of that).

dapaterson said:
Pooled training resources, and units in proximity to those training pools tasked with those skills (and getting sims) is to my mind a valid CoA.

But not all units would get "the toys" which would cause internal friction, and the Army's traditional approach has been to try to placate everyone rather than make rational equipment distribution decisions.  (That's common to both Reg F and Res F; the thankfully cancelled CCV had among the most egregious examples of that).

I agee, I would only task the closest units to training centers. Example for Wainwright I would pick the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, their proximity to both 1 VP and Wainwright makes them an ideal choice for a reserve infantry unit to become mechanized.

MilEME09 said:
I agee, I would only task the closest units to training centers. Example for Wainwright I would pick the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, their proximity to both 1 VP and Wainwright makes them an ideal choice for a reserve infantry unit to become mechanized.

Except they'd suffer from all the same exotic maintenance issues, with little recourse to quick assistance.

My guess is that everything 'militia' must be 'light'.

Infantry walks, artillery is towed (well, not much choice there), armoured is 'recce', and we have some good, solid and reliable SMP vehicles to shuttle everything around for us.

In the reserves, if it can be fixed by the local GM dealership we've got the wrong vehicles.

dapaterson said:
MilEME09 said:

Pooled fleets need dedicated leadership, PYs, infra and other support resources.  Without it you just do a smaller version of the giant LAV fleet CMTC had when it first stood up that required 2 TAVs a year pulling from across the CA to maintain them. Which even then in the end couldn't keep up with the needs of the fleet.

If we we went down that road it would have to be very carefully implemented or else you just ending up with rusting carcasses.

Back