• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kit Reviews, issued and non issued

I just got in my new TT MAV rig, with bib and X harness. Initally very impressed with the quality and design. lots of strapping for adjusting and wearing over top of armor, and feels generally good. will post some pics and a further review after I get some use of it in the field.

here is the new chest rig I got. Daves Army Surplus was great in getting it out fast and no problems. its a tactical tailor MAV with Bib and X harness.

315b077b.jpg

1cc02312.jpg

ada1b1cd.jpg

9b96f9f4.jpg

10f5aec8.jpg

IMGP0601.jpg

I plan on getting some Admin pouches from dropzone to put under the large accessory pouches.

Mike_R23A said:
KFS? it's all about the spork!

+1
I love my Ti Spork. Never leave home without it.

Some of my more beloved pieces of kit:

• Thermolite toque (black): awesome toque, my head is always at just the right temperature (this only works when the uniform nazis aren't around)
  • Helly Hansen polypro toque (black): Very lightweight and thin, it works wonders furing cool summer nights and under the helmet
  • Helly Hansen polypro balaclava (black): Actually not very useful except for snowboarding, but it just looks so darn cool ;D
  • Nalgene bottles: I'm surprised no one has mentioned these yet. Their durability is really their selling point, and a couple of 500ml wide-mouths will fit nicely in the C9 pouch.
  • Issued Thermos (.9L): Another favourite I'm surprised no one has mentioned. This baby is awesome for keeping a bit of hot chocolate steaming for that little pick-me-up half way through a recce patrol.

And that's about all I can remember off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Pinky

Guess this seems as good as place as any, What are the regs on using non issued gear?  I'm set to go to basic this summer and I've been scrolling through the forum making a list of all the stuff people recommend bringing with you.  But what i want to know is, can you use equipment bought out of pocket from a surplus dealer/eBay if its not what would normally be issued?  I mean i think the answer would be yes judging by the number of people here who have bought their own pieces of kit but where can i find the rules on this?

Thaern said:
Guess this seems as good as place as any, What are the regs on using non issued gear?  I'm set to go to basic this summer and I've been scrolling through the forum making a list of all the stuff people recommend bringing with you.  But what i want to know is, can you use equipment bought out of pocket from a surplus dealer/eBay if its not what would normally be issued?  I mean i think the answer would be yes judging by the number of people here who have bought their own pieces of kit but where can i find the rules on this?

NO! when going on course always I say again always follow the kit list/joining instructions sent to you.  Think about it you are going to Basic, do you really want to stand you with non-issue kit? I think not, so give your head a good shake.

Them old Mk III combat boots.  Just did a little march the other day, 7 km or so.  Checked the feet at the end, and of four guys wearing non-issue, non-chitted boots, three had blisters forming.  None of those with Mk III boots had anything more than some hot spots.  I normally don't wear those boots, but only when marching or in the field.  I guess, in this case, they worked.

Thaern said:

Thaern + non issued kit =  :pushup:

Thaern,

Unless your mother's maiden name is Hillier, you are going to find yourself the object of the attentions of enough large, perpetually angry people as it is, without giving them some more ammunition. Confine your non-issue purxhases to soap, boot polish and the like.

Ah, i should maybe be a bit more clear, im talking about after basic and sq.  What are the rules regarding using your own gear for reservist and reg force? 

Thaern, every unit is different. Don't worry about this, once you get your courses done, an get a bit of time in an know what you need, than look into non-issue kit.

Thaern

As said above wait until your courses are done. The military does give you everything you need for garrison, and excersices.

However if your being deployed, shoot tactical matches, or have a thing for gear, well that's different.

FourNinerZero said:
I just got in my new TT MAV rig, with bib and X harness. Initally very impressed with the quality and design. lots of strapping for adjusting and wearing over top of armor, and feels generally good. will post some pics and a further review after I get some use of it in the field.

Hey 4 9er 0,

How big are those TT utility pouches on the sides of your rig? Would C9 boxes fit through the opening of them (even though they look a little deep?)

Thinking about getting a 2 piece MAV and some HSGI pouches after reading all the positive remarks on LightFighter.

Mickey said:
Hey 4 9er 0,

How big are those TT utility pouches on the sides of your rig? Would C9 boxes fit through the opening of them (even though they look a little deep?)

Thinking about getting a 2 piece MAV and some HSGI pouches after reading all the positive remarks on LightFighter.

The large utility pouches will not fit a C9 box. They are too narrow for the box to fit into unfortunately. However, they do fit an IMP meal, a one quart canteen and a pair of gloves quite well.

Edited for spelling.

Could always swap a utlitiy pouch for a TT SAW pouch
http://tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=63

I ordered a few pouches from Drop Zone.

40mm Long Grenade Pouch in Digi Woodland -- Nice pouch, well constructed. Fits Magellan GPS 315 and Motorola T7100 radios very well ...... might even fit 40mm long grenades  :p

Compass Pouch in Digi Woodland -- Another nice build, fits the issue Suunto compass great, I'll give it a try with a prismatic compass when I get a chance.

The Digi Woodland doesn't clash too badly with CADPAT, plus the pouches have a really interesting tag sewn into them ...... " CF Experimental Trials Version, Authorized For Use " ....... I think Brian might be able to sell a pile of these tags  ;)

I plan on putting these pouches on my Tac vest on the shoulder adjustment straps.

I also ordered a pair of the Sniper Ammo Pouches in OD but these are for hunting and range use not mil.

I liked dealing with Drop Zone, not many places have the CEO answering the telephone on a holiday  :) , I'll be buying from DZ again.

CP Gear Personal Kit Bag in CADPAT -- Not quite as heavy duty as the DZ pouches, but how tough does it have to be to haul a shaving kit and a change of underwear from your vehicle to the shacks ? Lots of pockets to organize your kit. I like it.

Service from CP Gear was fast and efficient as usual.

Craig

Those new motar gloves are awesome.  I've probably worn them every day here in Alberta for the last month give or take. They keep your hands warm when it's too warm for goretex gloves and they are pretty good in the grip and dexterity department.  Probably could be a little more durable but nothings perfect.

New cadpat thermal blanket.  Very good IMHO.  I was in my sleeping back inner and cotten liner and it was getting pretty cold. Curled up in the fetal position a few times to keep warm :)  When I swapped the old liner with the thermal blanket i immediately noticed a difference. I'm not sure why it's so much warmer but it really works.  Having a zipper in the middle of it so you can go all poncho clint east wood style is cool too, no more slicing a hole in your ranger blanket.

Garmin legend GPS.  I finally got fed up with the size of my Magellan GPS. It was great and the speed and accuracy of it can't be touched by garmin but i just couldn't find room for it on my kit.  I picked up the legend GPS and was surprised. It's very easy to use, straight forward light and compact.  The accuracy takes a little bit to improve (no where near as fast as the Magellan) and it has a problem working under cover (trees vehicles) which was mentioned in the GPS thread but it wasn't too too bad.  Only thing is with the garmin line is that they really go after your money.  The legend only has 8 megs of built in memory, unchangeable. I'm bringing mine back to get one with more expandable memory only thing is if you want one of the garmin vista's or legend's with upgradable memory your going to really pay for it.

Here I have the issued small pack, with a dropzone hydration panel installed. This serves two purposes, 1) water (duh) and 2) a molle panel. It works well, too bad it is only held on by the 6 biners. Im trying to think of a better way to get it done, but so far this is best. Its very stable, and holds on as good if not better than the issued pouches. (not saying much I know)

IMGP0673.jpg

For those of you who are C9 Gunners there are vests out there for you:

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=CR-RiflemanCR&Category_Code=CR

as well as the Arktis NL rig.

Back