• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

K9 unit

Does the Canada Army need its own K9 unit

• Yes

Votes: 41 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

armchair

Inactive
Reaction score
Do you think Canada Army needs dogs trained in patroling bomb sniffing etc.

I think a K9 unit is a great idea.  The americans use them in Bagram and I think every Canadian camp should have them. 

I also agree that this is not the right forum. 

It's a funny thing. A lot of K9 reference manuals found in the UK are old CAMTs.
Dogs is a specialty that the CF neglected to the point that it just dissapeared into oblivion.... It's a definite specialty that should be resurected (like many other things).

Might as well add another brick onto pile of "things to do".

Perhaps Paracowboy might have the time to interject something here.  I think he has info on this subject.

BetterThanTheBest said:
I don't think this belongs in the "Weapons & Ammo" forum.
When I posted I was not sure if it was the right spot.My thinking was if train properly dogs can be us for both for defence and attack.
As well as finding explosive.Used on foot patrols they can be a great help.Not being people I thought they would be a weapon.

I've used search dogs myself on ex.

A WO in my unit is friends with 2 people in the search and rescue buisness and have search dogs.  Occasionally they come out to play with us and we use the dogs in OpFor to track down the troops during there patrols and OP's. 

It's actually been a pretty good training aid.

im interested in the Idea... so the question is where would they fit?

specialized role in the infantry? obviously not going to be their own trade I Imagine. part of the MP's even? I dunno... Its pretty far out of my lanes so im just throwing ideas out there.

the thoughts and opinions from those in the know would be most appreciative.

cheers
  josh

Any one who is interested in the use of dogs in past conflicts and history of there use just Google (Dogs at War).
I seen somewere on Canadian Army or Combat Camera site photos of the Army using them.
They were dogs train to find mines.The dog were owned by a private group.

armchair said:
Any one who is interested in the use of dogs in past conflicts and history of there use just Google (Dogs at War).
I seen somewere on Canadian Army or Combat Camera site photos of the Army using them.
They were dogs train to find mines.The dog were owned by a private group.
Found full storie of dogs and handler that were used at Camp Julien 2005 link is
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Feature_Story/2005/08/08/_f_e.asp

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Feature_Story/2005/08/08_f_e.asp

worse come to worse... go to the forces.gc.ca site, use the search box in the lower left column and do a search on "dogs"..... it will take you right there.

armchair said:
Found full storie of dogs and handler that were used at Camp Julien 2005 link is
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Feature_Story/2005/08/08/_f_e.asp
You are right it does not work. Not being a teckie do not know why.
Try this go DND Website and type in the search:  (dogs)
were site is
http:forces.gc.ca/

It would be a pretty sweet go to be a K9 handler in the army.

I was thinking though, if your dog bites someone, do you get charged with an ND? NB?

A proof of concept is being worked on. Where it stands I don't know...probaly pushed aside by the new found focus on CP. Looking at a possible joint task with engineers and MPs.
LFRR was going to be engaged, trg done by OPS.
If there is any movement I'll let you guys know.

Cheers

"It would be a pretty sweet go to be a K9 handler in the army.

I was thinking though, if your dog bites someone, do you get charged with an ND? NB?"

- Non, you merely state:

"Monsieur, that's not my dog."

Tom

The R22R have already decided to form their own K9 corp....
Unfortunately - someone sold em a Billy Goat..... Baaaaaa

Its funny cause alot of countries use dogs for bombsniffing and for MP patrols. I know I saw alot of them in Bosnia with the British.

This is something I've always been interested in, mostly police dogs myself. I think it would be very useful in Canada and in places of Operations.  :salute:

geo said:
The R22R have already decided to form their own K9 corp....
Unfortunately - someone sold em a Billy Goat..... Baaaaaa
I hope you guys still got it you can tell us all about it under the post Mastcots ;D  :salute:

Poppa said:
A proof of concept is being worked on. Where it stands I don't know...probaly pushed aside by the new found focus on CP. Looking at a possible joint task with engineers and MPs.
LFRR was going to be engaged, trg done by OPS.
If there is any movement I'll let you guys know.

Cheers

Admittedly K9 Sections employing Patrol and Sniffer Dogs are a valuable tool in their specialized areas, but one must take into account that Animals specializing in Explosives detection are limited just to that.

Whereas they are able to detect a Explosive Substance (thus; a concealed bomb or device) they would be useless in the detection of Pressure Plates and Trip Wires and other Detonating Devices. Therefore making them useless in mine clearing and for Patrol Units, other than being used to trip those devices, that IMO would certainly be cruel and inhumane.

Cheers.

Back