• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Thus confirming that not a single leader of a province, territory or the feds understands what defending the country is. It’s all about Jobs!Jobs!Jobs! and cheques flying everywhere but into the present day needs of the existing CAF. And if the country’s defences end up a tiny little bit better off, then that’s the secondary lowest priority collateral benefit.

Yes, which is how you get them to buy onto big, strategic defence programs like NSS.

No reasonalbe chance of suddenly having politicians that aren't very locally focused, so while it's annoying may as well just take advantage of it.

If you want to talk the babble, read the Jensen report, figure out what KICs are, and take a peak at the Value Proposition program under ISED (and the whole reporting naus under DPS).

Some very select items will get some of that waived, but unless someone is actually shooting at us expect and plan for 100% equivalent ROIs to bigger defence contracts. Most of that is met by the companies having a Canadian footprint (sometimes as a distributor, so it's OEM + markup) but some things are actually useful, like the investment into trade apprenticeship programs, or smaller companies getting steady income from a GoC contract and able to grow.

Thus confirming that not a single leader of a province, territory or the feds understands what defending the country is. It’s all about Jobs!Jobs!Jobs! and cheques flying everywhere but into the present day needs of the existing CAF. And if the country’s defences end up a tiny little bit better off, then that’s the secondary lowest priority collateral benefit.

It's always about jobs. Even in the US.

In the US, what is the sum total of leos, ems, guard, dod and doe as a percent of GDP?

In Europe there is a considerable degree of overlap between agencies complicating the 2% discussion.

Further to...

The Canadian Armed Forces is comprised of approximately 68,000 Regular Force and 27,000 Reserve Force members, increasing to 71,500 and 30,000 respectively under Strong, Secure, Engaged − Canada’s defence policy, as well as 5,200 Ranger Patrol Group members.

Just recently, Defence Minister Bill Blair estimated the military is short up to 16,500 members and said the Armed Forces' failure to boost recruitment is leading it into a "death spiral."

----

Other portions of the National Security picture

Police Officers

Total number of police officers

Add in CSIS, CBSA, CPC, DFO for another 15 to 20,000 with guns.

Fire Fighters

Census 2023 showed that there are 126,000 firefighters in Canada, of which 90,000 are volunteer. These volunteer firefighters provide fire and all hazard emergency services to their communities. Many of them receive some form of pay on call, an honorarium, or are given some funding to cover expenses, but they do not draw a living wage from firefighting.

Paramedics

the number of paramedics is over 36,000

In a state of war how many of those paramedics, firefighters, police officers and CAF members would be covered under the National Defence budget?

Further to...

----

Other portions of the National Security picture

Police Officers

Fire Fighters

Paramedics

In a state of war how many of those paramedics, firefighters, police officers and CAF members would be covered under the National Defence budget?
Sometime you really just love to throw shit against a wall don't you?

A war doesn't reduce the internal needs for emergency services. While some aspects (Counter Intelligence) would no doubt be more related to Defense issues - the average LEO, Fireman, Paramedic etc would still be needed for day to day operation of the country.

We buy civilian vehicles for “base utility.” The LUV project should buy absolutely nothing for on-base administrative functions.
You mean those awesome rear wheel drive blue fleet pickups? That was a great move to save money as long as you stuck with dry paved areas. Imagine in Canada getting told not to drive a truck because it snowed.

And then there is this:

🍻

"I want to maintain the Snowbirds. I just want to get them a better plane," said Blair, adding that he's asked the commander of the air force about the feasibility of using "existing fighter jets" to maintain an aerial demonstration team, as other allies do.

"I think that's something that I want to explore."

If Canada's NORAD and NATO commitments make that option impossible, he said, he wants to begin the search for a replacement for the Tutor as soon as possible.

Well we aren't getting a northern poverty version of the blue angels, so they'll have to find something new.

I'm not sure what the thrust of this post is, but for the sake of accuracy in numbers:

CSIS aren't armed
I'll defer to Haggis but I believe only a percentage of CBSA are armed, same for DFO.
I don't know what CPC stands for unless your are considering the Conservative Party of Canada as an armed agency

Other than the CAF, I'm guessing 'none'? Is there a legislated basis or history of civilian emergency services becoming a CAF problem during wartime?

Reactions: ytz
Back