• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is it just me?

ccdec

Inactive
Reaction score
Is it just me or are others going through that same thing. I retired from the CF in 2001 after 25 years of service. I wanted to pursue something else but it did not happen...........anyways. I moved back to Ottawa in 2003 and was offered a job with DND as a reservist (this is because they knew of me and my background). Now the contract is over and was taken off the NDHQ PRL but I'm still looking for employment with DND. NDHQ is always crying for qualified and experience RMS Clks but I find that if they keep a list of retired ex member wishing to work they are keeping it a secret from all of the Directorates looking for RMS Clks.  After some research I found that most reservist working in admin position are not RMS Clk qualified.  Not wanting to prevent a PRes person from employment but would you not think they would try to get someone that knows the trade. I called PRL to inquire and was basically scrugged off. You'd think if they had problems filling clerical jobs they would go to their SRR list. Don't know maybe I'm just rambling here.  :salute:

I find DND totally inept at employing people to the best of their abilities.  But I do have some sympathy due to the shear size.  Unfortunately people have to be treated like checkers; cookie cutter people if you will.  Smart employers see their people as chess pieces with distinct abilities.  I too will soon be eligible for retirement and will be glad to be rid of the facade of the "good soldier" and choose my employment.

ccdec said:
Is it just me or are others going through that same thing. I retired from the CF in 2001 after 25 years of service. I wanted to pursue something else but it did not happen...........anyways. I moved back to Ottawa in 2003 and was offered a job with DND as a reservist (this is because they knew of me and my background). Now the contract is over and was taken off the NDHQ PRL but I'm still looking for employment with DND. NDHQ is always crying for qualified and experience RMS Clks but I find that if they keep a list of retired ex member wishing to work they are keeping it a secret from all of the Directorates looking for RMS Clks.  After some research I found that most reservist working in admin position are not RMS Clk qualified.  Not wanting to prevent a PRes person from employment but would you not think they would try to get someone that knows the trade. I called PRL to inquire and was basically scrugged off. You'd think if they had problems filling clerical jobs they would go to their SRR list. Don't know maybe I'm just rambling here.   :salute:

One of the clerks at the Mewata ASC in Calgary is an infantryperson, it seems to me they have a few clerks that are infantry but not RMS trained.  The one at ASC doesn't have a clue but the others seem ok. My understanding it was a shortage of clerks.  Teh majority of clerks at the ASC and at the units do have RMS training though - some are remusters from other trades due to physical injuries or med cats - this may be a source of confusion for you.  It may be different in Ottawa.

Is it possible your job performance was low, or you had a personalityconflict in your past post and made yourself undesirable for further employment? It may be a case of the forest for the trees. There is also the question of employing a 20 year old who is likely going to stick around for 5 years while he attends University, and bumping him for a 50 year old reservist who is likely going to retire in a year or two, or a 45 year old reservist whom you just know is seeking "better"employment civvie side and is going to quit in a month or two.

Calgary Tanks - I would be very careful about posting here.  I viewed your profile as crewman, a very respectable title in its area.  However, ccdec and I seem to have about 55 years experience between us, mine is 15 years Infantry +++.  I suggest that when you post

"Is it possible your job performance was low, or you had a personalityconflict in your past post and made yourself undesirable for further employment? It may be a case of the forest for the trees."

you be a bit more subtle.  I may be out of line but of all of my class of remusters in 92 only a few have made Sgt.  I try and err on the side of caution when posting; if you have info I don't I'm sure you'll let me know.

Looking for sense from the personnel policies of  NDHQ is like looking for integrity in Cabinet.  I suppose its remotely possible, but quite unlikely.  The information that NDHQ collects and archives it seems completely unwilling to access and evaluate to meet its own needs.  If you are asking if they are ignoring you in particular, not a chance.  If ignorance is bliss, the NDHQ personnel offices have no right to be as snarky as they were when I dealt with them, they should be amongst the happiest people in Ottawa.

ccdec:

Check the CFSU (Ottawa) Routine Orders.  There was a boatload of Class B positions listed in the last issue (01 Mar 06).

You may also want to speak with someone in the Joint Career Tranisions office.  There was a mention of CF/DND employees now being eligible for assitance through this program a few months ago so it may be worth a check.  I have included the NCR link below and anyone else can get to the National site from there.  There should be a DND contact who can help you.

http://jctc-cctc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j_member.pl?region=4&action=VMEM&lang=0

Back