• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IR and LTA

BK

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered already,

I tried going through the mega threads but I am also aware new policies come and go; some of the threads were a few years old.  I was recently told by a MCpl clerk (I mention rank just to indicate their experience) I am not entitled to LTA while on IR.  I already bought my ticket and flew home but the question has always been in the back of my head. 

Is this really the case or is there a mix up.

CBI 209.50 - TRANSPORTATION ON LEAVE

209.50(1) (Definitions) The definitions in this paragraph apply in this instruction.

"home"(domicile)
means

in respect of an officer or non-commissioned member who is married or in a common-law partnership, or a member who is single and has a dependent child as defined in CBI 205.015 - Interpretation
the place to which the member’s spouse or common-law partner or dependent child was last moved at public expense,
if the member’s spouse or common-law partner or dependent child is residing elsewhere than at the place to which last moved at public expense, subject to paragraph (3), the place where the member’s spouse or common-law partner or dependent child is residing, or
if the member’s spouse or common-law partner or dependent child has never been moved at public expense, the place where the member’s spouse or common-law partner or dependent child is residing
, or
in respect of an officer or non-commissioned member other than as described in subparagraph (a)
the place where the member’s parent is residing,
subject to the approval of an officer commanding a command or formation, the place where the member’s child, legal ward or individual adopted legally or in fact who is officially recorded as the member’s next of kin is residing, or
if the member’s parents are deceased, and subject to the approval of an officer commanding a command or formation, the place where the member’s officially recorded next of kin is residing.
"parent"(parent)
means, in respect of an officer or non-commissioned member, the father or mother or the person or persons who, prior to the member’s enrolment, had undertaken the responsibilities and fulfilled the duties of a father or mother.
209.50(2) (Entitlement to reimbursement) Subject to paragraph (4), CBI 209.51 - Subject to paragraph (4), CBI 209.51 - Compassionate Travel Assistance and CBI 209.52 - Transportation on Special Leave, an officer or non-commissioned member proceeding to their home on leave with pay and allowances is, on one occasion only in each leave year, for the portion of the journey actually made in Canada or between Canadian points, entitled to actual expenses for transportation not to exceed an amount calculated at the rate established in subparagraph (3)(a) of CBI 209.25 - Use of Private Motor Car, Motorcycle or Airplane for Temporary Duty Travel for each kilometre of the completed journey that is not travelled at public expense, in excess of 800 kilometres.

209.50(3) (Limit) When an officer or non-commissioned member proceeds to their home as defined in sub-subparagraph (a)(ii) of the definition "home", the cost borne by the public may not exceed the cost that would have been incurred if the member had proceeded to the place to which the member’s spouse or common-law partner or dependent child was last moved at public expense.

209.50(4) (Calculation) Calculation of the kilometres between the officer or non-commissioned member’s place of duty and their home shall be made using

direct road distance in respect of that portion of the journey served by road; and
for any other portion of the journey, the actual kilometres by the most direct route./quote]

In short, yes you are entitled.  I can't recall the distance but I think it has to be over 500 kms.

Even though you bought a plane ticket, you will only get reimbursed for mileage.

Yes you can. I did it last Christmas - Ottawa (IR) to Halifax (home).

Thanks a million,

much appreciated!  I'll go back to them.

However, keep in mind there are restrictions.  CANFORGEN 33/11 provides some details:

TRANSPORTATION ON LEAVE (LEAVE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE (LTA)) – IAW CBI 209.50

MEMBERS WITH DEPENDANTS ARE ENTITLED TO LTA TO RETURN HOME TO THEIR NOK WHEN THEY ARE AWAY FROM THEIR PLACE OF DUTY FOR MORE THAN 60 DAYS FOR SERVICE REASONS

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO HAVE SERVED A MINIMUM OF 90 DAYS IN THE CF IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR LTA

THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO THIRD LOCATION LTA

THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT TO REVERSE LTA

WHEN THE LOCATION OF THE LTA IS OUTSIDE CANADA, ONLY THE PORTION OF THE JOURNEY ACTUALLY MADE IN CANADA OR BETWEEN CANADIAN POINTS MAY BE REIMBURSED

Back