• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview advice (merged)

Jaxson -

Yup.  There is lots on the topic of BMQ and the rest.  Check out the search function at the top of the page.  Use the advanced search.  You can narrow your search more specifically.

If you have bad credit are you not considered further? What about with no credit (me)?

Makaveli said:
If you have bad credit are you not considered further? What about with no credit (me)?

If you have no credit issues then why ask the question?

Don't worry about the interview. If it is something you truly want to do, the interview should be a breeze for you! Know your selection(s) and know the CF and its missions / roles and how you can contribute to both the CF and your trade.

For the interview sheet, I would not only complete it, I would suggest that you make it presentable. Although the interviewer did not read mine, he did add it to my file. Fill it out on the computer and bring it with you. If nothing else it shows that you devoted some time toward the interview and you are serious about a career with the CF. Really it is a guide to prepare you for the interview.

Just a suggestion but don't wear jeans and your best Metallica shirt. You will shake their hand, they will look you up and down from shoes to hair. Dress the part. No need to go nuts but be presentable. I know it seems like common sense but I just noticed in the waiting room that a lot of people were really dressed down for the interview and it didn't make sense to me.

Good luck to all!

I sported a shirt/tie with dress pants. I feel that is sufficient. Some guys opted for the full suit but I thought that was overdoing it for me personally.

I would say wearing tie is pretty much a given for the interview process. This is an important part of your life!

- Zach

At my interview, I was made to fill out a prep sheet, but didn't hand it in( I wasn' t asked to), nor did I take it in with me, but just doing it helped out; it allowed me to anticipate the direction of the conversations.

My advice would be to try and make your interview feel as natural as possible, don't sound robotic or memorized (even if you did memorize it), just be yourself, Answer as honestly as you can, and take time to think about what you say before you say it(keep your speech pattern in mind and be natural). The interviewer will be noting most things that you say.

Dress conservatively and speak liberally!  And maintain eye contact.

That's what I did and I left with a very good impression

P.S Make sure you get a contact card from the interviewer so that if you forget to mention anything on your interview you can email that information ( I had to do this)

I've already enlisted passed both my physical fitness test and aptitude. After my physical fitness test I went on a vacation with my parents :lol:  to the Philippines but it ended up being 9 months. Now I got no gr. 12. My security app forms are done their processing, the lady taking care of my information said she will hold my info for 3 years till it's terminated, so I'm kinda confused if I don't get pass my interview will that mean I will have to redo all my processing

Not as confused as I am after reading your post, twice.

What did they tell you was going to happen to your file?  If you don't know then call them back and try writing down what they are telling you.

Yeah sorry about that, my network connection suddenly unplugged I thought the post didn't make it through.
Like I said from my previous post, my file will be terminated in 3 years. I'm just wondering what would happen if I wasn't hired? Since I'll be doing it soon right after my medical test.

You know it isn't any clearer.

Your paper file is held at the CFRC/D for three years minimum until it is shredded however, an electronic record of what has happen to you is kept forever.  If you are enrolled or don't finish the process and you come back in three years to try again or to re-enrol then yes you would have to submit all the documentation over again but you wouldn't have to do your CFAT again unless you didn't make it for the trade you want.  You would have to do all the other processing again.  I am now tired and need some tea.

kincanucks said:
You know it isn't any clearer.

Your paper file is held at the CFRC/D for three years minimum until it is shredded however, an electronic record of what has happen to you is kept forever.  If you are enrolled or don't finish the process and you come back in three years to try again or to re-enrol then yes you would have to submit all the documentation over again but you wouldn't have to do your CFAT again unless you didn't make it for the trade you want.  You would have to do all the other processing again.  I am now tired and need some tea.

ok go enjoy your tea

In my interviews i was basically asked general questions about my previous work experience and education background, also a few question on volunteer work and physical fitness. Also they ask questions to see how much research you have done on the career path you have chosen. Just keep yourself relaxed and answer to the best of you abilities (honestly too). Id say it is not to much different then any other interview you may have with a large organization. The form you fill out and hand in with you application really is similar, and kind of a guide line to what they will ask in the interview.

I completed my interview last week in Toronto.....I was fairly nervous going in because I've had some harry interviews in the past . However, my CF interview literally took 10 to 15 minutes. It was like the officer was just going through the motions. Very simple questioning about past sports, educational background, previous employment, what is the role of the infantry, drugs (if you admitted to doing any). Most of my responses consisted of no more than three or four words, he didn't even ask why I wanted to join...let alone really look at me when conducting the interview. Anyways, I passed...even told him that I kinda expected to get grilled a little more. Although,  I'm going res...maybe that's why it was a painless process. Just my experience anyways. 8)

aluc said:
I completed my interview last week in Toronto.....I was fairly nervous going in because I've had some harry interviews in the past . However, my CF interview literally took 10 to 15 minutes. It was like the officer was just going through the motions. Very simple questioning about past sports, educational background, previous employment, what is the role of the infantry, drugs (if you admitted to doing any). Most of my responses consisted of no more than three or four words, he didn't even ask why I wanted to join...let alone really look at me when conducting the interview. Anyways, I passed...even told him that I kinda expected to get grilled a little more. Although,  I'm going res...maybe that's why it was a painless process. Just my experience anyways. 8)

It is called a target interview and it is short because you are going into Res F combat arms.  You really don't need much of interview for the job.

kincanucks said:
It is called a target interview and it is short because you are going into Res F combat arms.  You really don't need much of interview for the job.

I hope they don't care that I've had 12 jobs in the last 2 years as a result of no intrest in them.
I don't see how you can get bored with ammunition, exercises, and explosives.
...I just hope my mullet doesn't get caught in the C6 :warstory:

Don't worry, that will be long gone before you even touch one.

Alright tonight was a long day...  Woke up at 6:30 am to drive 2 hours to Barrie from Owen Sound.  Went to the armories in Barrie to be told I had to meet at the Canadian Resources Center, so I did...  Went downstairs and as I entered the aptitude test was about to begin...  So I followed the crowd of guys to the room where they sit you all in a room with computers...  I did the test, headed out and began to talk to the fellow soliders...  Every single one of them were 17-21...  I was the youngest at 16...  We all introduced ourselves, became good friends, even got some emails and such...  Told some funny stories and jokes and then was told to go back into the room...  Entered the room and found out we ALL passed the aptitude test for our trades!  We all shook each others hands then waited for the drug screening...  Wasn't to bad, wrote that I experimented pot once and caffeine and such.  So then waited again, then waited some more...  Told me stories and then took the step test...  2 whole steps lol...  All of us took the heart rate and the test and everyone passed the pushups and situps...  Went back in and waited to be talked to by a desk worker...  Finally at 2 pm it was over...  She told me to come in on April 12th for my interview and my phsyical...  Wish me luck...  I just hope to get into a BMQ anywhere SOON... 

What's the soonest I can get in?  I don't have a criminal record and I am healthy...  Any ideas?

Sorry to get off topic, but I just find it intresting how greatly the recruiting process varies from center to center. The only time I've seen a group of recruits was for the CFAT and that little PT video they show you after. Heck they didn't even really tell me IF I did pass the CFAT. Although since they did book my interview and medical, I have to guess that I probably did. When I went for my fitness they did it one at a time, everyone had their own time slot. I guess there's a big difference between east and west.  :cdn:

Not to mention there was only one person in my CFAT testing group that was probably sub 21...they also managed to do the whole process so you really had no idea if anyone else passed. They call you up all one by one, pass or fail.

By the way, my experience relates to the Edmonton CFRC.

This might be kind of a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, should I call the recruiter SIR during the interview or would I just sound silly?  :p

Jake said:
This might be kind of a stupid question but I'll ask anyway, should I call the recruiter SIR during the interview or would I just sound silly?  :p

If the interviewer is in fact an officer there is nothing wrong with calling them Sir.  In fact you should call anybody older than you Sir anyway.

Back