• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview advice (merged)

• Thread starter Thread starter Jug
  • Start date Start date
Hi! Just a quick question. I've done everything that needs to be done (CFAT, fitness, medical), and I have my interview tomorrow. I am applying for a DEO INT Officer position, and I'm just wondering how long I can expect to wait until I know I've been accepted. The detachment commander told our group that they only hire something like 4 INT officers a year, so I know the odds are against me. I already have another job lined up, and I begin next week. How long should I expect to wait before I know if I've been accepted?

Thanks!

Well....it will be more than one week.  Looks like you will have to take that job, and wait for a few months for a call.  You chances of getting that Trade as a DEO will seriously be how much in demand your special qualifications are required.  You may also be held up for several months due to your Security screening.  There is no knowing how long it will take.

Thanks. It's actually better if I have to wait. I applied to business school as well and I want to know if I got accepted or not before I seriously consider joining the Canadian Forces.

Hi, I've read thru most of this subboard (specifically this thread here) and I have noticed a few things.

- For some people, the interview was a fast 10-15 minute questionaire with the interviewer barely looking at the interviewee.
- For others, it took from 45 mins to an hour with the interviewer grilling you questions.
- Also, in one post, a person stated that interviews for positions in the combat arms are very easy and short.

So, my question is, are there different specific interviews for different jobs in the CF? Like would an interview for a Pilot job be any different from an interview for an infanteer job? Or is there just one basic interview?

I'm asking this because I'm signing up for the MP reserves. I just wanna know if my interview will be different from any other or if there's anything specific I should be aware about.

Thanks.

Your interview is your interview -- they're all different. 

I came from the Regs to the Reserves, so I don't know exactly how they run theirs.  As a reservist, I dit OT.  My interviews for that were done at the company level (for them to pass along their approval for a position) and by a PSO (for the trade).  I was required to present my knowledge of the trade and the skills, experiences, and abilities I had that would allow me to excel in that trade and be of benefit to it.  Upon my return to the regular forces, I had to undergo an interview again, this time with a recruiter whose trade I do not know (perhaps a PSO).  Again, I was required to demonstrate my knowledge of the trades I applied for and illustrate how I would be of benefit to them.  The one trade I wanted most, I didn't express my desire enough for and was called on it by the recruiter, and so did poorly on that portion of the interview (and did not get that position).  The trade I wanted, pilot.  Trade I got, armoured.  All of them were during 1 interview session.

As with any interview, be open, be honest, be friendly and don't be boring.  Don't lie, don't make crap up, go in knowledgable.  Don't speculate, don't spread rumors, and don't believe rumors. 

My interveiw for a Cbt. Arms trade was short and sweet. The only real thing I was really questioned about was drug use. The interveiwer wanted to badly know why I hadn't tried any of the potions on his list.  >:D

It was far less intense then I imagined, but I suppose they can guage what you are like pretty easily...

Kool, thanks guys.

Shamrock, i think i get the basic idea. As long as I know about the trade Im interested in thoroughly and if I show that, I should get it.

Hopefully my interview for the MP Res won't be any harder than the interview you had for the Cbt Arms, Smith.

Just one more thing...this is what Im planning to wear on my interview:

- white dress shirt
- black dress pants
- dress shoes

But...should I tuck in my shirt or not? Will it make a significant difference if I do or don't?

P.S. Any other input or comments about my original post will be much appreciated.

Tuck in your shirt
You are setting an example of yourself

Don't worry about what is happening to the other person worry about your own application process.  Be prepared to answer questions about yourself and the occupation(s) that you are interested in and fill out the preparing for the interview sheet.

anton said:
Just one more thing...this is what Im planning to wear on my interview:

- white dress shirt
- black dress pants
- dress shoes

But...should I tuck in my shirt or not? Will it make a significant difference if I do or don't?

P.S. Any other input or comments about my original post will be much appreciated.

Tuck it in and wear a tie. It is a job interview and you want to look your best.

On the topic of the interview, the only question that I was asked that, at that time, I thought was weird was if I was able and willing to use a firearm to kill someone else.

I got both the "Why didn't you experiment" and "Would you be willing to use a gun if need be" questions...

For my interview (pilot, Air Nav, AEC), I got several generalized questions that benefitted from the interview prep on the recruiting site. I also got the questions about my past, drug use, etc...

And then there was the "Do you know what you're getting into" type questions... I needed to spew information about the trades that I wanted.

When I spoke to my brother about the interview that he had undergone for infantry, they basically wanted to know if he was willing to use a firearm, willing to go overseas to do it, and they tested his knowledge of the situation in Afghanistan, because that is where they intended to send him. It was definitely described as far less exacting than the one I went through.

Prepare using the interview prep, know what you are getting into, and you should be fine... One word of advice, you wont actually be able to use the interview prep sheet or anything else during the interview, so don't get dependent on it. I don't understand why people made such a big deal about bringing the sheet with you... Know your stuff off the top of your head.

Springroll said:
Tuck it in and wear a tie. It is a job interview and you want to look your best.

On the topic of the interview, the only question that I was asked that, at that time, I thought was weird was if I was able and willing to use a firearm to kill someone else.

I will tuck in my shirt for the interview. However I don't have a tie. Now if they asked me this question I wouldn't be surprised especially, because I'm applying for Infantry this would be  a good question. My answer would be Yes, definitely in order to protect myself and team mates I would have to kill bad guys! I hope my answer doesn't sound weird.

How did you answered this question by the way?Springroll

How did you answered this question by the way?Springroll

There are two answers to the CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR question: Yes or No.  So if she is now enrolled which answer do you think she took?  This is not a question open for discussion.

HH

I applied for Infantry but due to my vision I was told I cannot go in to that field but my options for Signals were open. I called CFRC and talked to them and they scheduled a new interview. I was wondering if that was necessary. My question arises because I changed units from Engineers to Infantry due to Distance from my house as to The engineers I had to travel 1 1/2h in both directions while infantry it was only 30min and when I did that I did not need another interview.

Thanx in Advance

I'm a civy,

but I'm wondering why would you think they have schedule you for
another interview, if tis not necessary?

I'm curious...

My logic is that its for a new job that's pretty different from infantry but why didn't they do the same when I changed the first time...

Although some questions within the interview are generalized, many are also job/trade specific, which would necessitate another interview.  Check out this thread for some more info on that: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/48757/post-426451.html#msg426451

As to why they didn't the first time, only they know why.  But the point is, that part doesn't really matter now.  What does matter is that they are requiring you to do another one for Sig.

Is it during, or after, the interview that the officer tell you if you're enrolled, or i will have to wait days, weeks or months?

Thank you for your answer!

Back