• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

inside look at RFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunner98 said:
Nope, I've read it several times, it must be so simple that I still don't see it, sorry DW. 

Fact: Applicants must meet a minimum aptitude level during the requirement process.  Fact: Recruits/OCdts will be required to meet the minimum fitness standard.  Upgrading is plentiful in the CF, once you have met the minimum enrollment standards.

Yeah, it's a funny thing that "simplicity" factor.

I'm glad you can see my point, and yes. The way I see it is as a potential loophole.

I'm glad you don't want to be the kind of person who takes advantage of it, but others will.

I'm certain I didn't state that your opinions are synonymous with those of the CF or of other board members, though

Wasn't stated, so much as the implication I got.

But, I still wince when you use "fat-camp"...it's most likely not accurate, I'm sure you'll agree

Maybe, but if you knew me like some of the others on this forum, I'm not the most PC, loving, hand-holding type.  ;)

DeltaWhiskey said:
Yeah, it's a funny thing that "simplicity" factor.

I have been reading your rants, and some of them sound like someone who has done the egg in the fryingpan/mind on drugs commercial for real.

You really have to get over yourself and just take the advice of people on the site who have the experience and time in the CF to give it to you.  Many of us have joined the CF after attaining University Degrees.  Whoopee Ding!  It is your ability to pass the PT Test that we are talking about here, not your friggin ego.  If you fail the PT, your ego will have let you down.  Get off your butt and buy one of those jogging buggies for your kid and get out and push it around town to get that physical training you may need.   Right now you sound like one of the biggest whinners this site has seen in the past year.

DeltaWhiskey said:
Now my perspective: I feel that the RFT program could quite possibly benefit people like me who, a very short while ago, were in decent condition, but have lagged in that physical state in recent time.

No doubt it could.  Hell, I would love to just kick back and have a personal trainer and have a couple of months in pure gym mode.  It would be a riot.  But there is no good reason that an applicant should not be in shape BEFORE they apply.  I'm with SigDes on this.  This is not Jenny Craig--CADPAT Edition.  We have the training standards published.  The fact that someone would see then, try them, fail them, and then say "feh, I'll just get in shape when I get there" is pathetic.  That the CF is enabling this lack of initiative with this program is even worse. 
What you are not aware of DW, is that the standards at basic training are just that...basic.  The lack of enthusiasm you are seeing from the members that have done it comes from knowing that we can look back and see what we were asked to do and realize that it really wasn't all that hard.  It just seemed hard given the total stressor package that basic training provides.  Physical fitness (or lack thereof) is supposed to weed out the weak elements, not redirect them to some corpulent twilight zone. 

Since I've spent the better part of my last 10 years smoking, drinking, and eating like a king, I figured I was RFT bound even though I passed the PT test.  My weight bit me in the ass another way though as I've now got stress fractures that don't seem like they'll be healed by the end of Christmas leave. 

The EXPRES test is really quite easy.  If you can't make it to 4 on the VO2 Max test, AND you've been "working on your fitness for 3 years", I'd say you've got problems.  Just my opinion. 

George Wallace said:
I have been reading your rants, and some of them sound like someone who has done the egg in the fryingpan/mind on drugs commercial for real.

You really have to get over yourself and just take the advice of people on the site who have the experience and time in the CF to give it to you.  Many of us have joined the CF after attaining University Degrees.  Whoopee Ding!  It is your ability to pass the PT Test that we are talking about here, not your friggin ego.  If you fail the PT, your ego will have let you down.  Get off your butt and buy one of those jogging buggies for your kid and get out and push it around town to get that physical training you may need.   Right now you sound like one of the biggest whinners this site has seen in the past year.

I should take this opportunity to say that I may, afterall, not have to go the RFT route anyway. I don't necessarily forsee any/many problems with the regular PT, but that remains to be seen.
George Wallace, you're just getting down to personal attacks here now. I have no problem whatsoever taking advice from these guys here. As a matter of fact, I think we were having a legitimate debate...I was actually learning something, in case you couldn't tell from my last post addressing Sig_Des. I can see where he's coming from, and I appreciate his perspective(s).
It appears you just feel like I need to be set straight for some reason. Where did all this come from anyway?
And as for whiners (not "whinners", BTW), well, I think you've overshot your judgement a little bit. I wasn't whining, just sharing comments back and forth. It's what adults do these days.

Sig_Des said:
I'm glad you can see my point, and yes. The way I see it is as a potential loophole.

I'm glad you don't want to be the kind of person who takes advantage of it, but others will.

Wasn't stated, so much as the implication I got.

Maybe, but if you knew me like some of the others on this forum, I'm not the most PC, loving, hand-holding type.  ;)

All points here well taken, Sig_Des.  :)

Wow!  Another PT Thread!!!

Almost 30 years ago, when I signed on the dotted line, there was no fitness test.  There was no RFT either.  But there certainly was an expectation that each and every person who wore the Queen's uniform would step up and get the job done.  Our "RFT" consisted of increasingly brutal (in the opinion of today) twice daily PT sessions in which you kept up or "paid in pain" to those who dragged you along.  After a few weeks, the dragging stopped and those who couldn't/wouldn't keep up were counseled out (asked to leave).  Some left on their own, after admitting that they were woefully out of their depth academically or, more often, physically.

Instructors back then taught soldiering and the lifeskills we were taught centered around surviving combat.  No diet and nutirition lectures.  No remedial PT.  You ate in the mess.  The food was good, plentiful and healthy.  There was lots of work to do after hours.  Studying, station jobs, kit and quarters.  You were confined to barracks anyways, so you might as well work on your uniform.  And God help you if you called the pizza man during your CB!

It's that generation that leads the CF today.  Yes, us creaky, scarred old bastards who you see in the gym, on the road or under a ruck you wouldn't dare lift, every damned morning.  By God if you can't keep up with even the slowest of us on the first day of the rest of your life, you've failed the first test in your CF career.

Haggis said:
Wow!  Another PT Thread!!!

Almost 30 years ago, when I signed on the dotted line, there was no fitness test.  There was no RFT either.  But there certainly was an expectation that each and every person who wore the Queen's uniform would step up and get the job done.  Our "RFT" consisted of increasingly brutal (in the opinion of today) twice daily PT sessions in which you kept up or "paid in pain" to those who dragged you along.  After a few weeks, the dragging stopped and those who couldn't/wouldn't keep up were counseled out (asked to leave).  Some left on their own, after admitting that they were woefully out of their depth academically or, more often, physically.

Instructors back then taught soldiering and the lifeskills we were taught centered around surviving combat.  No diet and nutirition lectures.  No remedial PT.  You ate in the mess.  The food was good, plentiful and healthy.   There was lots of work to do after hours.  Studying, station jobs, kit and quarters.  You were confined to barracks anyways, so you might as well work on your uniform.  And God help you if you called the pizza man during your CB!

It's that generation that leads the CF today.  Yes, us creaky, scarred old bastards who you see in the gym, on the road or under a ruck you wouldn't dare lift, every damned morning.  By God if you can't keep up with even the slowest of us on the first day of the rest of your life, you've failed the first test in your CF career.
Speechless.

What he said....only with a Cpl (who really doesn't care about your self-esteem) poking you in the chest as it's being said!

Obviously you two will not be selected for RFT Phase II instructor.  :mad:
Once candidates have achieved a fitness standard on par with that of a Grade 3 dodgeball team, they pick coordinated PT gear that best suits their personality along the principles of feng shui.  Third fitness session is replaced on even days with "Fitness Visualization" whereby candidates sit in a circle (in ergonomically sound chairs, of course) and talk about how to run and be fit.  Each gets to spin the "Wheel of Blame" and multiple excuses categories are talked about and adopted.  Coffee and donuts after, 'natch.  Odd days are massage/acupressure/pedicure days as it is unreasonable to expect our precious goslings to go without basic physical necessities. 
And it goes without saying that this program cannot possibly be successful if the CF does not provide a domed, climate controlled environment to perform all these incredibly harsh taskings. 
God, how we mistreat our people! 

[/sarcasm]

airmich said:
Will we get paid on the 14th and 29th too, zip??  :D

Of course.  Special heart rate monitors will be worn, and anyone who has a heart rate over 140 bpm for longer than 15 minutes will get danger pay. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Of course.  Special heart rate monitors will be worn, and anyone who has a heart rate over 140 bpm for longer than 15 minutes will get danger pay. 

Not to mention the redresses of grievances if the air is not perfectly conditioned, an *gasp* the water isn't bottled.

{muffled sound}

Hear that ?

Thats the sound of yet another PT thread going down the drain.....

cdnaviator said:
{muffled sound}

Hear that ?

My work here is done.  :salute:

cdnaviator said:

As long as Des' precious bottled water isn't used to wash it down!  (well, unless it isn't at the perfect temperature, and then it's a waste anyway....much like this post! ;D)

Tis true...we should all have the last 3 posts of our post-count removed.

da plane boss, da plane....and is that the ramp opening??

I think there may still be some discussion left in this thread, but I'm not gonna post here until any new debates open up.

I've stated my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back