• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Individual Meal Pack (IMP) [Merged]

I agree. Sausage & Hash was more edible than some of the other ones, allthough, the tortelinni wasn‘t awful either.

A Mirage bar coated in a white powdery film always tasted great after the Cabbage Rolls...

For your curiosity, this page displays the IMP 2002 menu:
http://www.mreinfo.com/imp_menus.html

Redeye; the mini tobasco sauce bottle comes standard in every American MRE. If you can get hold of one of the MREs, there should be a really tiny bottle in there. It‘s only about 3cm x 1cm and is small enough to put just about anywhere. However, it‘s only enough sauce for one or two meals, but you could refill it, I assume.

Apparently the Canadian soldiers liked the MRE tobasco sauce bottle so much (not the MRE itself, mind you) that the CF is planning to integrate something similar with the new IMPs along with an MRE heater-thing.

Yeah, there is. A Warrant in my unit is allergic to MSG and pukes em out after he eats em. And a NEWBIE, or FNG eats his or her first IMP on their first field ex.

Jonsey,
I believe it‘s forced down your throat as part of a hazing ritual... just kidding. For the RegF, its usually during your final ex at the end of your basic, I can‘t remember there being too many other opportunities before that point, but as for the reserve... no idea, you‘d probably get the chance if your unit employs untrained soldiers as GD‘s on normal exercises like my old one did.

untrained soldiers on exercises? I never got to do that! :(

The reserves get their first taste of IMPS on the basic field-ex too. As I recall, they tasted quite good, but then again it was the last couple days, and also my 18th birthday..."I went into the woods a boy and came out a man" :warstory:

By the SQ 6 day ex, rations were less of a treat...

Originally posted by Argyll:
[qb] Scarlino you wanker! Come join the Argylls!

Sausage & Hashbrowns all the way...

:D [/qb]
since when do you post on here spearin

email me some time, mattoigta@hotmail.com

Originally posted by L/MCpl_Argyll_ Kurrgan:
[qb] Yeah, there is. A Warrant in my unit is allergic to MSG and pukes em out after he eats em. And a NEWBIE, or FNG eats his or her first IMP on their first field ex. [/qb]
So, how does he not starve if he just pukes it up after eating it?
My body doesn‘t like MSG either. It‘s really difficult to wake up the morning after I eat something with MSG in it.
Oh well, hopefully I‘ll get used to it.

Recruits get to eat thier first IMP on the field portion of the BMQ course, which is usually the last weekend of the course if you are on the weekend BMQ (likely May).

Not sure if you are in the Co-op programme, but it will likely be the end of May or early June.

If you‘re lucky, you may get a taste of IMP heaven earlier in the course if the instructors decide to give it to you for lunch (to save money) or do a little pre-field course workshop on survival.

A note of caution, don‘t just eat the sweets and not eat the main portion (some do, because the sweets seem like the only edible bits). And, you don‘t need to eat the whole thing. Eat a balanced portion. You‘ll figure out in time what you like, dislike, and what you need to keep you going overnight on patrol or sitting in a $hitty hole doing OP (i.e. how to break down the IMP and only take the important stuff).

a little piece of advice. peanut butter is gold. Horde it. Those little packets of peanut butter will keep you going on those long patrols when you‘ve already eaten your meal.

and like humint said, make sure you eat the main meal!! learn to like it, hot or cold.

Ok so I am heading to basic this summer for my first taste of army life and I just tried an IMP for the first time and I must say its not too bad...

I had the Thai Chicken # 4 Lunch...Here is what came inside it

Thai Chicken in a vaccum pack that you boil for about 5 min (Didn't look great but didn't taste bad at all)
Packet of teriyaki sauce
Salt and Pepper packet
Piece of bread in vac pac
Peanut butter and strawberry jam
Package of flavoured instant rice that you pour boiling water into
Piece of strawberry flavoured candy
An After 8 chocolate bar
Instant coffee packet and tea bag packet & whitner and sugar packet
Mango flavoured instant powder drink
A very long spoon, toothpick and wetnap finger cleaner packet

All in all the whole meal wasn't too bad and its loaded with protein and calories to keep you going...I'm interested to try the other ones...I hear the Mac and Cheese isn't the greatest...

Some are ok. Like the beanie weenies, pretty hard to mess those up.   But stay away from the ham and mustard sauce one.

Quiet Riot said:
Some are ok. Like the beanie weenies, not too hard to mess those up.   But stay away from the ham and mustard sauce one.

Eww I hate weeners and beans...I wonder if they let you trade if there is something you just can't eat...I would probably throw up if I was forced to eat weiners and beans...

tannerthehammer said:
Eww I hate weeners and beans...I wonder if they let you trade if there is something you just can't eat...I would probably throw up if I was forced to eat weiners and beans...

Maybe give starvation a try then    ::)

Quiet Riot said:
Some are ok. Like the beanie weenies, not too hard to mess those up.   But stay away from the ham and mustard sauce one.

I like the ham and mustard one :P

Back