• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I6 Magpul PMAG Testing

Infidel-6 said:
Its a BDT FAPC (plate carrier) - with a set of soft armor underneath.  It's my lite rig - for times you need a rig but dont want to look like your doing a DA...

I dont think it will work well with the CF GenV Frag Vest.  -  The best thing for over the CF setup is IMHO something similar to what Jay4th ran on TF106 - a TT MAV.
Sorry to go off-topic again, but.....

The TT MAV works better then say, the HSGI Warlord?  I always thought the TV MAV looked uncomfortable.....  Basic chest rig with thin webbing suspenders.

LBVs and plate carriers "look" much more comfortable and ungainly then chest rigs.

DirtyDog -- given you will be wearing a CF Gen V FPV, the lack of padded staps is an asset.  Why wear a HSGI "Legacy" rig over the CF FPV?

You have to let the mission dictate your kit - and dont fight your equipment.  Bulking up when its not necessary is dumb.

Mudgunner49, I6

As for the idiot who is worried the enemy will see how many rounds you have left -- put down the XBox clown.

look, I'm not attempting to pretend I'm some sort of expert, I don't have any experiance on the two way range... I was just making a comment about something I'd noticed and my thoughts on it. It is really easy to see the difference in colour of a big clear mag and a big shiney brass coloured one based on what I'd seen working with the Indian army. For what I'd encounter I am sure it would never come up, but you and a lot of cbt arms guys seem, from what I've read on this site, to end up working in a lot closer quarters to the enemy than I would be expected to. I imagine the story of the WWI soldier who ran out of ammo and called to the Germans he was fighting to surrender might not have turned out so well if he had been outfitted with a clear mags.

The mag with the pin holes on the spine of the mag could easily have had an epoxy filler to keep out dust while maintain a view port... I just thought it was neat, not saying it's better or worse, just was something I thought was interesting and might have some relavance to the subject at hand.

I suppose I shouldn't have piped up in the PMAG thread... I wasn't talking about the PMAG, just putting in my 2 cents based on a clear mag I have seen. Perhaps I should have formed my statements into questions?

either way there is no call for insults. I'm noticing a hostile environment in here more and more. I was under the impression that this site was supposed to be for freindly conversation between proffesionals.

This site has a reputation of being filled with reactionary jerks. More than once my fellow CF pers who find out I frequent this forum make the comment "oh, you are one of those people?" and roll their eyes.

I6 I look forward to and enjoy reading your threads as they provide insight into a world I'm not involved in and are very interesting, you have up to this point always seemed to be an amiable character to me.

C_canuk,

You are mostcorrect that this site is supposed to be a site for friendly exchange and conversation. In fact we do, but more often now there seem to be an influx of posers, wankers and those who think they know all from playing the.. Well any gaming system. You'll have to take things with a grain of salt. Most of us give people a fai chance, and I do mean a fair chance. By fair chance I mean a combined effort, but for those who've been given friendly advice from many of us and chooses to ignore it, the next time we're not so nice. Like I said we're finding more trolls and spammers lately so sometimes we're not so nice (guilty) and we try and stop a 'potential' problem before it starts. We're not always right, but hey this is our on-line family and we're kinda protective of it. Now, I would suggest that you laylow for a few, get a feeling of this place and contribute when you feel more confident. Laslty, to those people that you've met who had an adverse reaction to this site, well... We're not for everyone. Not all fit into our family, and those who don't they just don't. Perception is everything. Hopefully you'll stic around and see for yourself what we offer as a community and not take words of other people.

Dude -- when I'm cranky I typically end up unitentionally taking it out on a poster who's comments seem to me to be dumb (sorry).

I'm not a fan of the clear mags - I think the smoked and windowed mags are a much better idea.  However in a M16 FOW you will have 12'ish rounds that are not visible in the mag well, so if you feel confident to bluff - fill yout boots, and some bullets for those who tried to call your bluff.  However in this day and age - attempting to bluff an enemy that wants you DEAD more than anything, its not a pretty good idea...

Many AK mags have the witness holes - the issues is they let the talcum powder like dust in - and will jam the mag.  They where designed for savages to know when the mag is full - and their superiors to come around and ensure they are not selling ammo (or shooting it at weddings).

I6

meh... it's all good.

I have a lot of respect for your opinion

MedTech... I guess I should have treaded a little more softly... but I am seeing a trend where the FNG gets dogpiled and not always deserving of it... I'll go back to lurking

:salute:

c_canuk said:
Mudgunner49, I6

(1)  ...you and a lot of cbt arms guys seem, from what I've read on this site, to end up working in a lot closer quarters to the enemy than I would be expected to...

(2)
  ...either way there is no call for insults. I'm noticing a hostile environment in here more and more. I was under the impression that this site was supposed to be for freindly conversation between professionals...

(3)  I6 I look forward to and enjoy reading your threads as they provide insight into a world I'm not involved in and are very interesting, you have up to this point always seemed to be an amiable character to me.

(1)  I try to avoid "close quarters" anything - I'm old and fat and in the Artillery; ;D

(2)  I don't think that I insulted you, and in fact, I believe that I was most PC (very unlike me).  The "friendly conversation" usually requires one to stay in their lane - this cuts down on the repetition of urban legends and people spouting off about what they did  on SOCOM or HALO or whatever the game du jour might happen to be.  I'm not sayin' you did, I'm just sayin'... ;)

(3)  Kevin is very introverted and quiet - a real teddy bear.  It is generally quite difficult to get him to respond to this sort of thing.  Consider yourself to have accomplished something!! :rofl:

It's the internet and intent/emotion/sarcasm, etc are hard to convey.  Try not to take it too seriously...

blake

Mudgunner: +1 on that, I have jumped on more than a few who have shown a habit of spouting off without having the facts or subject knowledge to comment on a topic, I make no apologies for that, but will attempt to reign in a bit.

MG34 said:
Mudgunner: +1 on that, I have jumped on more than a few who have shown a habit of spouting off without having the facts or subject knowledge to comment on a topic, I make no apologies for that, but will attempt to reign in a bit.

As you well know, I've shown my a$$ a time or two and opened the yapper without engaging the brain-box - but sometimes it's so hard not to jump on someone who has proven in the past to be an idjit...

blake

Infidel-6 said:
DirtyDog -- given you will be wearing a CF Gen V FPV, the lack of padded staps is an asset.  Why wear a HSGI "Legacy" rig over the CF FPV?

You have to let the mission dictate your kit - and dont fight your equipment.  Bulking up when its not necessary is dumb.
I will admit, those HSGI rigs look pretty damn bulky, but some guys seem happy with them.

It's just that with the amount of weight you might carry, those thin shoulder straps look like they would dig in and get uncomfortable, regardless of the FPV.  But then, I have no idea....

If you say a TT MAV is one of the more prefferable choices, I take your word for it.  I just though something like amodular LBV with perhaps a wide modular belt would "carry" better.

I'm trying to educate myself for if and when the time comes.

I ran a HSGI Warlord , and had zero issues with it, the same couldn't be said with some of the garage made rigs and knock offs that were being flogged  before our tour , but that is another matter.
With what ever rig that is used, it is vital to know that all pouches and molle loops don't have to be filled with something. You have to tailor your gear for the mission,this hasn't changed since the time of the 1st caveman hunting parties. As long as you are able to plan for a mission you will know what you need, everything else goes into the RAID pack until the next mission.

Back on track hopefully my shiney new Tan P mags will be arriving soon (modified to hold 5 rounds of course  ::) ) We need some 10 round" Pmag Pistol "mags here.

MG34 said:
I ran a HSGI Warlord , and had zero issues with it, the same couldn't be said with some of the garage made rigs and knock offs that were being flogged  before our tour , but that is another matter.
With what ever rig that is used, it is vital to know that all pouches and molle loops don't have to be filled with something. You have to tailor your gear for the mission,this hasn't changed since the time of the 1st caveman hunting parties. As long as you are able to plan for a mission you will know what you need, everything else goes into the RAID pack until the next mission.

Back on track hopefully my shiney new Tan P mags will be arriving soon (modified to hold 5 rounds of course  ::) ) We need some 10 round" Pmag Pistol "mags here.
Seen (re. tailoring gear to the mission).

A lot of people have different opinions as per which rig, and I'm just trying to get a wide of range of opinions as possible.

With regards to rigger's post, I've talked to HoM and a few of the guys quite a bit.  Some guys still advocate the TV.

DirtyDog said:
Seen (re. tailoring gear to the mission).

(1) I'm just trying to get a wide of range of opinions as possible.

(2)  Some guys still advocate the TV.

(1)  never a bad idea;

(2)  some guys still think that smokeless powder and the Internet are passing fads too - doesn't make them less wrong...

blake

There is still a brass,canvas and wool crowd out there as well, I just they inhaled too much Blanco as young fellas ;D

MG34 got away with his HSGI rig as he did not put it over the CF gen 5 FPV...

He gets away with some things you wont...