• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I6 Magpul PMAG Testing

I guess if you weren't carrying the pistol, the belt wouldn't be neccesary?

What gloves are you wearing?  Hatch?  How do they breathe in the heat?

I don't think he wears cloves, but I have heard that he reeks of allspice...

The Iraqis often speak in hushed tones about "The Potpourri of Death"

muskrat89 said:
I don't think he wears cloves, but I have heard that he reeks of allspice...

The Iraqis often speak in hushed tones about "The Potpourri of Death"
;)

WileyX CAG gloves -- all gloves suck in the heat - but its better than burned up hands

Sorry for my ignorance, but is that vest/rig a modular soft armour vest with mag shingles etc. attached to it and then a plate carrier underneath?

I'm just wondering as it *looks* like it wears/carries well and was wondering if that vest could be use in conjunction with the required issue Canadian frag vest.

Some of the chest rigs I've noticed looked like they don't distribute the weight we'lland look a little front heavy.

BTw - Nice patch on the helmet. ;)

Its a BDT FAPC (plate carrier) - with a set of soft armor underneath.  It's my lite rig - for times you need a rig but dont want to look like your doing a DA...

I dont think it will work well with the CF GenV Frag Vest.  -  The best thing for over the CF setup is IMHO something similar to what Jay4th ran on TF106 - a TT MAV.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006smallarms/foltz.pdf

This makes me wonder what you guys think of transparent (tinted) vs opaque mags.

Doesn't really matter does it? A mag that works, is a mag that works. Tinted vs. Opaque doesn't really make a difference at all.

Hm, so I guess that being able to check the number of rounds in the mag at any time is useless, and just adds to the look cool factor?

Snaketnk said:
Hm, so I guess that being able to check the number of rounds in the mag at any time is useless, and just adds to the look cool factor?

huh... I wonder how we ever got by with the metal mags...

I think a clear mag like the ones the Indian army might be a liability the same way the Garand used to make a loud ping noise when the clip was ejected... it gives the enemy too much information on the state of your weapon.

An idea I liked that solves that problem yet allows you to get a visual verification with a metal mag is pin holes drilled in the back of the mag... seen that in Bosnia with Britsh mags... you could see brass coloured dots where the rounds were...

c_canuk said:
I think a clear mag like the ones the Indian army might be a liability the same way the Garand used to make a loud ping noise when the clip was ejected... it gives the enemy too much information on the state of your weapon.

An idea I liked that solves that problem yet allows you to get a visual verification with a metal mag is pin holes drilled in the back of the mag... seen that in Bosnia with Britsh mags... you could see brass coloured dots where the rounds were...

Dude - if the bad guys are close enough to count the rounds left in your mags you have either been missing alot or you have the situational awareness of a rock.

I'm just sayin'...

blake

mudgunner49 said:
Dude - if the bad guys are close enough to count the rounds left in your mags you have either been missing alot or you have the situational awareness of a rock.

I'm just sayin'...

blake

X2

As for holes, just more ways for crap to get in there.

Okay I have to make this rant effective since I'm sitting in the DIH having a beer while I type this as I wait for my dinner to arrive.

The windows allow you to see how many round you have to about 22
Now based on my experience - when you have less than 22 rounds in your mag - its a good time to reload, its an added visual comfirmation that one will want to do a tac reload -- or in up he sees me down terms for those who dotn have any intermediate weapon training - if your buddy is abotu to do a bound - and you dotn have 22 round -- you may wish to have him hold while you reload.

Its designed to give a comfort area for areas you need the most you can.

As for the idiot who is worried the enemy will see how many rounds you have left -- put down the XBox clown.

I cant get on my photobucket account here - but I have some pics of a PMAG being dropped off a roof (not sure why youd want to do that -- but if your bored...)

As for the Holes - that the stupidest idea I've heard of (I guess the whole SA80A2 mag came about for a reason then eh?)

I've got 12+ hours in Geneva tomorrow - and will rant more then.

Infidel-6 said:
Okay I have to make this rant effective since I'm sitting in the DIH having a beer while I type this as I wait for my dinner to arrive...

...I've got 12+ hours in Geneva tomorrow - and will rant more then...

WRT the beer, have a few, ponder the issue and save up some really good stuff for the rant when you get to Geneva... ;)

blake
(just stirring the pot...)

Okay rant continues at the Movenpick Zurich-Regensdorf...

I dropped a 08/07 PMAG (tan non windowed loaded with 30 rds of Mk262) off the roof of our villa in Baghdad onto pavement lips first.

I had intially dropped it from 8 feet onto the marble floor - but decided it was not high enough.

First time from about 20 feet it bounced no issues

Second time - it spit a round of 262 out - but the follower runs fine - and it took the 30th round back.
It shows some road rash on the lips -

Pics of mag dropped last night, small hint of "roadrash"
IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

I did some more drops today - just to see.

Height was 22ft.  Same mag as before - drop lip first.
This mag was dropped two more times today

IMG_3524.jpg

first drop - spit one round again.
IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

second drop - spit 4 rounds - and spine cracked as seen.

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

Mag will now only hold 28 rds (it takes 30 then one will pop out - then the next over a few minutes)

However I found you CAN load 30rds - and place it in the mag well -and the mag well hold it together - that it feeds and cycles all 30 rds.

There is NO WAY in hell a USGI or HK "high reliability" mag will do that -- the lips would be toast - and the system worthless.

This mag (08/07) will be swapped out for a 06/07 body I had from the replacement bodies magpul sent me.

Oh and I got Big Red hooked on PMAGS now too..  ;D

Nice, I can't wait to get my dirty mitts on some of those!

BTW I like the "get the fuck out of my way" bumper on your ride  ;)