• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I was rejected for ROTP, now what?

Reaction score
Currently a university student. I applied to ROTP with the hopes of doing civillian university. Just now recived and email stating that the selection comittee has rejected my application for ROTP. It is most likely due to my low university GPA (2.8).

This means that I will have to wait till I graduate and go through the DEO plan. Im not sure what to do since they sent me forms to do my medical after I passed my CFAT. Im not even sure if my application is open anymore.

Currently a university student. I applied to ROTP with the hopes of doing civillian university. Just now recived and email stating that the selection comittee has rejected my application for ROTP. It is most likely due to my low university GPA (2.8).

This means that I will have to wait till I graduate and go through the DEO plan. Im not sure what to do since they sent me forms to do my medical after I passed my CFAT. Im not even sure if my application is open anymore.
Have you tried calling your CFRC to see if your application is still open or if they need you to do anything?

Have you tried calling your CFRC to see if your application is still open or if they need you to do anything?
I contacted them but they said the counsellors are busy and they will email me instead. But I will call again later.

The email did not specify wether I was rejected for RMC or Civillian university. Though it would make sense to assume both.

I was rejected for ROTP wayyy back in the day. Joined the reserves instead with the plan to go full time when i ws done University. I didnt go that route in the end but its an option

I'm interested in answers for this as well.

I completed CFAT last week for Pilot, but was just informed I've been rejected to ROTP.

I contacted the recruiter today and I was told just because I got denied for RMC doesn't mean I necessarily got denied from Civvy ROTP?

I was under the impression that being rejected from one meant I would also be rejected from the other?

I was also told I should have received an email outlining why I was rejected, which I never did?

He also said there is no way for him to look this up and I would need to contact RMC?

I'm a bit confused here to be honest.

Should I try to contact RMC? Would they really be able to indicate if I qualified for Civvy ROTP?

I completed CFAT last week for Pilot, but was just informed I've been rejected to ROTP.

I contacted the recruiter today and I was told just because I got denied for RMC doesn't mean I necessarily got denied from Civvy ROTP?

I was under the impression that being rejected from one meant I would also be rejected from the other?

I was also told I should have received an email outlining why I was rejected, which I never did?

He also said there is no way for him to look this up and I would need to contact RMC?

Should I try to contact RMC? Would they really be able to indicate if I qualified for Civvy ROTP?
I also never got a reason for rejection. I'm not sure how applying to civilian ROTP stream works either. But I will see if I can talk to a counselor once I hand in my medical forms.

Reserves are always a great option to get engaged with service while you are an doing undergraduate program.

The recruiter cannot see the e-mail sent to you from RMC, they will just get a short message from RMC that says something like "found unsuitable for military colleges".

RMC does not find applicants suitable for Civvy ROTP, although they may actually say "suitable for civilian university only"... what they mean is not suitable for RMC. They have no authority whether or not an applicant can get admitted to a different school, or if Civvy ROTP positions are available.

If an applicant already has a year of civilian university complete (as in 2nd year or later already), RMC will not admit them. RMC considers itself a 4-year program, not just a degree granting university, and doesn't want students to graduate after 3 or less years. Typically, if you already have a year of university complete, RMC would make you restart as a first year student and complete 4 full years... if an applicant has yet to start university though, then it means they didn't meet the school's minimum course and GPA requirements, which can be found on RMC's website.

A recruiter or MCC should be able to tell you if you qualify for Civvy ROTP, including if there are positions available for your desired trade... the academic requirement is current enrolment or unconditional acceptance to a relevant bachelors program.

The recruiter cannot see the e-mail sent to you from RMC, they will just get a short message from RMC that says something like "found unsuitable for military colleges".

RMC does not find applicants suitable for Civvy ROTP, although they may actually say "suitable for civilian university only"... what they mean is not suitable for RMC. They have no authority whether or not an applicant can get admitted to a different school, or if Civvy ROTP positions are available.

If an applicant already has a year of civilian university complete (as in 2nd year or later already), RMC will not admit them. RMC considers itself a 4-year program, not just a degree granting university, and doesn't want students to graduate after 3 or less years. Typically, if you already have a year of university complete, RMC would make you restart as a first year student and complete 4 full years... if an applicant has yet to start university though, then it means they didn't meet the school's minimum course and GPA requirements, which can be found on RMC's website.

A recruiter or MCC should be able to tell you if you qualify for Civvy ROTP, including if there are positions available for your desired trade... the academic requirement is current enrolment or unconditional acceptance to a relevant bachelors program.

Thank you for this throrogh answer.

I will definitely contact them again next week and ask more about Civy ROTP options.

Since I'm first year uni I'm pretty sure my highschool grades just weren't good enough to make the cut. I'm doing pretty well so far ,I'm confident I can really improve my grades and get in based on RMC requirements as well if Civy university does not work for me.

I'll definitely keep pushing for this, I really appreciate all the help.

Just curious, did you specifically ask for Civi U ROTP?

I got an email saying I was rejected from ROTP, but when I called they said that was just for RMC and I'm still eligible for CivilianUni ROTP.

Lots of people have said something along the lines of "If you got rejected from RMC, you got rejected from both" but that's simply not true.

Thanks for this it helped a lot when I called them yesterday.

I am still eligible for CIVI U ROTP as I also shared above, however no more pilot slots for this year.

Reserves are always a great option to get engaged with service while you are an doing undergraduate program.

RESO ... have a normal university experience, owe the CAF nothing in return ;)

University Uongraduation GIF by UniOfNottingham

Pick a trade apply as a Officer if you don't have a degree Join as a NCM, if you have a degree and then go in on Aero Technical side Aircraft Maintenance or any other Air Force trade just get your foot in the door and then there are numerous opportunities to work your way to what you want in your Career, it's easier once in.

...just get your foot in the door and then there are numerous opportunities to work your way to what you want in your Career, it's easier once in.
This is bad advice, don't take it. While it is possible to switch careers, there are a lot of potential hurdles that exist. Pick a trade that excites you. Then, if you can't switch streams later on, at least you are stuck doing something you like.

This is bad advice, don't take it. While it is possible to switch careers, there are a lot of potential hurdles that exist. Pick a trade that excites you. Then, if you can't switch streams later on, at least you are stuck doing something you like.
isn't that what I just said? how is that bad advice? get in a trade you like figure the path if being rejected from ROTP? Hurdles in the way? yes of course but that is on the member once in to figure out....objective is only reached once the path ahead is clear in the members mind, IED's along the way are plenty but that is what soldiering is...

you are a comm's guy I would love to know where you think this fits your advice to a member in front of a computer the way I know you all operate. Is there a Java script there ludoc?

Pick a trade apply as a Officer if you don't have a degree Join as a NCM, if you have a degree and then go in on Aero Technical side Aircraft Maintenance or any other Air Force trade just get your foot in the door and then there are numerous opportunities to work your way to what you want in your Career, it's easier once in.

Thanks for the reply.

However I just changed my application over to Civi U ROTP and we are carrying on with my application that way.

I'm on my way to medical next week.

I agree to be honest.

I'm already in first year university and I have no desire to join under an NCM trade.

I'm going for pilot for sure, even if it takes extra time or what not.

I currently have a 4.0 gpa, and I'm confident I can maintain it.

I'm going Civy U ROTP route, and they have told me I do qualify for it. So now I'm on to medical, then interview, then CFAST.

I don't mean to hijack this thread though, so hopefully Level100mafiaboss is finding some useful information throughout here as well.

I agree to be honest.

I'm already in first year university and I have no desire to join under an NCM trade.

I'm going for pilot for sure, even if it takes extra time or what not.

I currently have a 4.0 gpa, and I'm confident I can maintain it.

I'm going Civy U ROTP route, and they have told me I do qualify for it. So now I'm on to medical, then interview, then CFAST.

I don't mean to hijack this thread though, so hopefully Level100mafiaboss is finding some useful information throughout here as well.
good for you man, keep it up I wish you the best on your venture of the CAF.

Back