• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to waste your money on kit

Thanks for the info, Vern.

Again, it goes to show you that you have to be careful what you "believe" when told things by people: "I heard from a guy, who heard...."

Regardless of whether the CDS or the Base Chief, or whomever doesn't "like" a certain boot, especially ones that are worn by soldiers serving in Iraq, which is like, you know, a war-zone, and all, the priority should be function, not looks.

They shit-canned running in combat boots, which has bred a whole generation of sniv's who feel that their life is in jeopardy if they have to shuffle 5 metres to catch up the rest of the gaggle during a webbing march. I don't think it's the running that does you in; it's the crap boots that they have bought (the Mk III's), and I don't imagine they will change the policy once the new boots are on line, because it is in the collective memory now that running in boots is bad!!!! It couldn't be the rucksack that many of said sniv's has permanently afixed to the front of their body.......

Anyways, the whole talking about boots got me onto one of my many jihads/rants/pet-peeves. Must go to sleep now........

Al

Daidalous said:
Thouse Magnum Stealths are a very nice boot.  Just so you know, (IF)  you have problems with your feet or   normal combat boots  don't fit correctly.    You can go into clothing stores and get your foot sized for proper fitting boots, you can get custom made combats,  work boots   from a  local  supplier  ie  Kodiak Iseco  or even   Magnum Stealths,  but army bases might be a little slow at that process.   Once again nice buy on the boots ;D

Oh Daidalous,

Come on now. You know me. I just spent 6 years in Trenton and this has got nothing to do with the Army. period. It's the Supply system and the tech specs. Purchasing boots is a local responsibility so it's what ever your base chooses to buy via it's local contractor.  Do not be going on forums and stating categorically that they can get this type and this type and this type when that is nabsolutely not the case. You can only buy whatever style of boot your local contract is for. You guys in Trenton choose to bring in the boot truck. The boys try on the boots ....good to go. Greenwood chooses to send their guys to Mark's.

The custom fitted/custom made boots are a national contract and there's the difference right there. All Clothing stores can do that. But why would they when it takes 8 freakin months to get the boots made and costs the Crown (ie the taxpayer) 900.00 bucks a pair. Don't make much sense to do that now does it when you can just send them down to whatever local store your Base happens to deal with and fork out 300 bucks instead.

Now every other Clothing Stores in NATO is going to have their troops, sailor's and airmen coming in saying well some supply tech said I COULD have this kind of boot. And us who get to serve them will once again have to get b*&^d at as we explain to them that that Supply Tech was wrong, that we are only allowed to buy what is on our Local SOA.

And as for the custom fitted boots, my take on that is this... in Trenton I could have managed to go 9 months in WW Boots while I eagerly awaited my custom combat boots. You can't wait around 9 months when you're out in the field or doing a ruck march can ya?

Before you go all nuts over the Merlin bags, look closer to home, Integral Designs in Alberta has just provided me with a wicked sleeping system, one inner bag, and one outer. 

http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=720&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1

Just got this as my inner, in olive green

http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=717&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=5

This is my outer, again in Green.

The bags each came with a compression sack, and go down to the size of a novelty pumpkin and a basketball respectively.

Something I noticed on the site, and I saw their sales team demoing the issue cadpat liner, and never put the two together
Look at this poncho liner and picture it in CADPAT

http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=833&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1

Lets keep it Canadian for sleeping needs, Dropzone or the Integral Designs line are both worth it.  Also, if anyone is still wondering about the "sleeping bag light test" it is real, I had it done, my sleeping bags were toast.

Bomber said:
http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=720&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1

http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=717&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=5

OK Bomber, How do you like them? This is the same thing that I purchased for 1 of our allergic pers 2 weeks ago. He's not out to the field till next week though. You're advising me to stick with this I take it?

I see they come in the extra length too, so if that's the case I might satrt buying them for our really "tall" gentlemen. Your input appreciated ! Thanks.

I was stating the Magnums from a Trenton prospective, I know there are other bases that  buy Magnuns,  and yes it is up to each base as to where they would like to send there personal to buy boots or buy them. I only said the army "might" be slower at the process,  I never tried to come across as it was hard facts I had. And on the long waiting period,  yeah I have always been wondering what the heck is up with that.  I have asked about it but never got a valid answer.

BTW  the boot truck is gone.  good things never  last

They look great on the floor for now, next use will be in November, last use was May.  The various sizes is the reason I got them, the Sleeping bag LCMM threatened a curse upon me if I cut up another pair of sleeping bags or got my bivy modified again.

Daidalous said:
I was stating the Magnums from a Trenton prospective, I know there are other bases that   buy Magnuns,   and yes it is up to each base as to where they would like to send there personal to buy boots or buy them. I only said the army "might" be slower at the process,   I never tried to come across as it was hard facts I had. And on the long waiting period,   yeah I have always been wondering what the heck is up with that.   I have asked about it but never got a valid answer.
BTW   the boot truck is gone.   good things never   last

What slower process are you talking about?? The fact that some Army and AIR bases do not have a supplier locally that has magnums for the troops to try on? I can't knit them. All enviornments can only purchase what is avail locally. So my problem with your post was that you didn't qualify what you were saying ("I was stating the magnums from a Trenton perspective") in the first place. You just said they could go get magnums etc etc which is absolutely not the case, then the Supply techs (where these certain styles are not avail) always hear well how come so and so in Pet can get them or so and so....
I find it's much easier to explain why this difference between Bases occurs than to post just go into your clothing stores and you can go get this this and this.
I'd rather suggest it should have read, just go into your clothing stores and then you can go downtown to try on what is available locally, and we will buy you a pair of whatever you find that works for you.

Too bad about the boot truck...I'd love to have that option here... same day delivery!! Vice the 7-10 days it takes me now. But 7-10 sure as hell beats the hell outta 9 month waits for customs.

Bomber said:
They look great on the floor for now, next use will be in November, last use was May.   The various sizes is the reason I got them, the Sleeping bag LCMM threatened a curse upon me if I cut up another pair of sleeping bags or got my bivy modified again.
Bomber, If (as you obviously are) a really tall man... then it is a Supply system responsibilty to get you a bag that fits. We buy custom made DEU's, raingear, footwear (I had a girl with a size ZERO!! foot in this week), sleeping bags etc etc for those people who don't fit the standard issue gear. LCMMs are meaner than SMs!! I'll pull up the ref for you at work Monday ref LPOd/custom made kit for non-standard size personnel for when you need a new bivvy bag, SB, liner etc.

armyvern said:
Bomber, If (as you obviously are) a really tall man... then it is a Supply system responsibilty to get you a bag that fits.

Bah, look at the US soldiers and Marines fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - not one soldier looks identical in layout.  As you said, nobody will ever be happy with what the Army provides so I think we are best off creating guidelines for letting soldiers explore with other items; this has the additional benefit of producing new and improved solutions to problems as the private market seems better in order of magnitude to adjusting to end-user needs.

Infanteer said:
Bah, look at the US soldiers and Marines fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - not one soldier looks identical in layout.  

I'd go further, and say that in every photo of soldiers in combat since the Boer War that I've seen, everyone looks different.

No doubt 'Marius' Mules' were always searching for that next piece of high speed chain mail, and trying to convince the 'Primus Pilus' their new dagger from Gaul was ok to wear.

And if they were caught wearing high-speed sandals, they got beaten with iron rods...RSM's never change.   ;D

Atlla to his huns:
"Remember the sequence.....Rape, pillage and then Burn"

Vern, don't worry about me.  LCMM's are just misunderstood I believe.

If your buying Wiley X's buy from  a Canadian company  ;D

----------->http://www.oneshottactical.com/

Daidalous said:
Thouse Magnum Stealths are a very nice boot.   Just so you know, (IF)   you have problems with your feet or    normal combat boots   don't fit correctly.      You can go into clothing stores and get your foot sized for proper fitting boots, you can get custom made combats,   work boots    from a   local   supplier   ie   Kodiak Iseco   or even    Magnum Stealths,   but army bases might be a little slow at that process.    Once again nice buy on the boots ;D

Actually they are a POS I have seen them issued mainly to people with very small feet. And usually as a safety boot. My wife was issued 4 pairs inthe past 4 years and each one has blown a heel right at seam. Buyer beware.

Steel toed version

http://www.martyshoes.com/store/mag5167.html

Still a POS. The wreck within a year. She is a SUPPLY TECH AT AN AIRFORCE BASE. Not very rugged on the warehouse floor but the boots still manage to fall apart.

I was thinking of picking up the Wiley X's.  I tried wearing the issue ballastic lenses and I don't know if it was just because I read there was a problem with them or not but I get a headache after about 20-30 minutes and feel a little weird.  Is there much difference between the goggle looking Wiley Xs and the "M frame" looking ones?

I've put more miles on my magnum stealths. Standing around and walking their awesome. I went for a ruckmarch/run and I got some pretty big blisters. Never got blisters before from mark 3s so im not prone to them.  Kinda frustrating.  They also wear out VERY fast so be prepared to constanly dump polish on them.

Back