• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to get family on board

Being only 16, I had a hard time convincing my parents to let me join the Artillery (reserves). At the time, they were dead set against it, the main thing is to remember that not all people will agree with you, even your parents. Its important to respect their points of view, and where they are coming from. One night, try to sit down over dinner and have a logical, calm discussion regarding the military. I realize that your of age to join without parental consent, but gaining there 'best wishes' will make a big difference. If it is something that you truly want to do, well then, persue it! just keep an open mind and be willing to put up with all sorts of arguments.

You will encounter ignorance, rudeness and at times, even hatered for your chosen profession. I get this all the time at school, among friends, and even going down to work, the most important thing is to just brush it off, don't let it get to you, just keep at it.  Its not easy by any means. Again, keep an open mind, be open to talk to your parents. The CF is an excellent employer, not many people my age even have jobs, let alone a good paying, secure and rewarding job. Try and stress to them the pro's of the CF (ie. education, pay, housing etc.. - assuming your talking reg force). They may come around, they may not.

so, to sum up my mindless rabble - persue your dreams, its your life, but try and talk about this with your parents

Matt

Yeah, I'm kind of having that problem too. I'm going to talk to my Grandpa about it, he was a Lieutenant-Colonel.
I've joked about it with my mom, she says do whatever you really want to do.
I hinted at it today to my Dad, and he says the army is for "useless grunts who have no future"
"tell that to Grandpa" said I  ;D

The thing is, I've wanted to be a pilot since a baby, not necessarily in the air force, but now I'm seriously considering Infantry, and for them it must be weird seeing me turn on such a lifelong dream.

:salute:

I actually had my heart set on being a pilot ever since I was a child. Look where I ended up  :p (by choice)

Yeah, being a pilot would be a lot of fun and all, but I want to be on the front lines,serving my country on the battlefield. Even as a fighter jet pilot you can;t really accomplish that. Plus I hate dam terrorists and wouldn't mind putting a bullet or two in their heads.  :threat:

When I firsted suggested it, my Dad said no unless I was going to become a doctor.... and my mom said NO. Once my dad realized I wasn't kidding and when I managed to answer 2 hours of his questions on my choice he has supported me ever since. My mom's finally accepted what I want to do. As for the rest of my family, they've gotten used to the idea. ;D

My point is show them your serious and be as well informed as posible to explain why. Good luck.

Then the only problem is waiting two years before you can join :brickwall:

He does make a valid point. If you have the opportunity to go to college/university you should. If you still want to join the army in a unskilled position then at least you have something you can fall back on. You are not going to make a lot of money in the military, especial as a non-officer and if you have the intelligence to get into college/university the infantry will not be much of a challenging job, it might get boring. I would suggest trying to get in as an officer. You can do your training in the reserves and go to university at the same time.

Thats exactly what I'm going to do. Going to call the Seaforths tomorrow

GUNS said:
Dude, never call your parents ignorant because they don't agree with your career choice.

Absolutely.

My middle son and I had an argument a few (four) years ago regarding his choice of careers.  He is a psychologist, and I'm extremely proud of him.

The argument involved my belief that psychology is a "soft" science - not based on reliable, repeatable, demonstrable science.  He took extreme umbrage at my opinion, and I haven't heard from him since.  There are (of course) many other mitigating factors - but it boils down to his belief in my "ignorance", and my own bullheadedness regarding the "social" sciences.

Your career choice is not worth a schism in the family fabric.  LISTEN to your parents (that doesn't mean you have to AGREE with them) - although they may object to your career choice, they WILL remain proud of you.  Once you are of the age of majority you're going to do what you want anyway - don't make it a "cause celebre" just because you disagree with their opinion.

For what it's worth:  my oldest son (a Mechanical Engineer), and my youngest son (a Registered Nurse) never had this type of disagreement with me - but by the same token I didn't have the same criticism of their chosen vocations (neither being a "soft" science).

I don't know any of your parents - but from what's been described, some of you may be in for a rough time.  So be it - but don't burn your bridges.  Do what you need to do, and remember that no matter how much your parents may disagree - they WILL be proud of you.

Roy

FrenchAffair said:
He does make a valid point. If you have the opportunity to go to college/university you should. If you still want to join the army in a unskilled position then at least you have something you can fall back on. You are not going to make a lot of money in the military, especial as a non-officer and if you have the intelligence to get into college/university the infantry will not be much of a challenging job, it might get boring. I would suggest trying to get in as an officer. You can do your training in the reserves and go to university at the same time.

Wow.  Are you ever full of yourself.

There ARE no "unskilled" positions in the military.

"Intelligence" has little to do with success in University, and MUCH to do with success in the Infantry.

I hold a Bachelors (earned while serving), and I'm working on a Masters.  I spent my career in the military as a Pte/NCO/WO - go figure.

Education is a wonderful thing - and should be pursued whenever possible (even, perhaps ESPECIALLY on your OWN - for the pure joy of it, not for the perceived advantages it conveys) - but it does not implicitly make one a more intelligent person.

I ASSUME you are either in, or in the process of joining, as an Officer.  If that's the case - be prepared for some serious ego deflation in your future.

You are correct, however, in that if one has the opportunity to further one's education, one should take advantage of that opportunity.

Roy

FrenchAffair said:
the infantry will not be much of a challenging job, it might get boring.

I'm not an infanteer, nor an officer, but I've never heard anyone say the infantry isn't challenging, and I've defiantly never heard anyone say its boring. Where do you draw your conclusions from? (not ignorance, I'm genuinely curious)

MattP said:
I'm not an infanteer, nor an officer, but I've never heard anyone say the infantry isn't challenging, and I've defiantly never heard anyone say its boring. Where do you draw your conclusions from? (not ignorance, I'm genuinely curious)

Challenging in aspects, but not intellectually so.  And of course there are times when it is not boring. But the day to day grind of the average grunt is not that exciting. 

FrenchAffair said:

Actually, I've found combat arms NCOs to be the most intelligent and articulate posters here on army.ca.  I have a bachelor's degree, and I am no where near as articulate as they are.

RangerRay said:
Actually, I've found combat arms NCOs to be the most intelligent and articulate posters here on army.ca.  I have a bachelor's degree, and I am no where near as articulate as they are.

I guess when you put your life on the line day in and day out you can see through the bullsh!t and see what really matters.

FrenchAffair said:
Challenging in aspects, but not intellectually so.  And of course there are times when it is not boring. But the day to day grind of the average grunt is not that exciting. 

FrenchAffair:

Your profile says you are 20, and that's ALL it says.  I don't think you know what you're talking about.

ALL jobs have a "day to day grind" aspect to them.

Based on your extremely thin profile (and a perusal of your past posts), I don't think you have any idea how "intellectually" challenging ANY trade is - I think you're still in school, full of yourself, full of "book knowledge", lacking in "world experience" and unaware of just how ignorant you are.

Some of your posts are thought provoking and well researched.  But in this particular case, I think you are well outside of your experience area.

Roy

FrenchAffair said:

As others have already stated please fill out your profile a bit more. How do you know how much money the military makes? Yes it is posted on websites but that is just a base salary. Speaking from an Infantry point of view, I make enough to survive and be happy, There's still field pay i get when i spend time in the field and going on tour you make a fair bit  ;D As of the job yes like any job there are days were it's slow and painful but the days were we go out and rappel and shoot outnumbers the slow days by far!

non-officer and if you have the intelligence to get into college/university the infantry will not be much of a challenging job
Challenging in aspects, but not intellectually so.

FrenchAffair, please tell me you are trolling and not really that out to lunch.

Mod's, I saved you some work by not typing what I really really really wanted to.

{QUOTE}
He does make a valid point. If you have the opportunity to go to college/university you should. If you still want to join the army in a unskilled position then at least you have something you can fall back on. You are not going to make a lot of money in the military, especial as a non-officer and if you have the intelligence to get into college/university the infantry will not be much of a challenging job, it might get boring. I would suggest trying to get in as an officer. You can do your training in the reserves and go to university at the same time. {UNQUOTE}

I must say that I find this a little distressing. In the past month I've gone to several funerals for some of the best and brightest people I've ever met. They were Soldiers, Students and Friends. All were brilliant in their own way.  I no way were they UNSKILLED.  Donny Lucas had a set of skills and knowledge that I can only dream of having.  Chris Stannix was one of the most educated, thoughtful (but humorous) people I've met.

I guess I'm lucky. I'm the fourth generation of my family in Canada to serve in the Army. Even though I took a different route than my parents would have liked, All the comments that others have made apply. They never failed to support what I choose as a career.

I went to college, and I stilled joined knowing full well what I was getting into.  My parents were behind the whole way and like to state that I am in the CF as often as they can. My grandmother does have some reservations about me being in, but other than that I have full family support, a college diploma, and membership in very tight nit group, made up of individuals who are professional, intelligent, and think about more than just themselves and their colleagues but the nation as a whole.

FrenchAffair said:

"FrenchAffair"    [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]HOW WOULD YOU KNOW ?[/size][/size][/size]

Back