• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

History of Canada in Afghanistan

westernarmymember

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for books on Canada's involvement from any perspective, be it the history thereof, soldiers stories, etc. I will deploy with TF-108 shortly and looking for reading materials. I already have "On Combat" by Col Grossman and "15 Days" as a starting point. More ideas would be appreciated.

Try "Canada in Afghanistan: the war so far". Gives an overview of Canadian involvement there as well as a thorough history of the Afghan people and the culture you will be interacting with.

Serving In The West said:
Looking for books on Canada's involvement from any perspective, be it the history thereof, soldiers stories, etc. I will deploy with TF-108 shortly and looking for reading materials. I already have "On Combat" by Col Grossman and "15 Days" as a starting point. More ideas would be appreciated.

Er our tasking has just started,we are baby's in this part of the world.

Try reading some history about over 100 yrs ago when Britain and Russia were trying to employ their Imperial power in Afg.
There is only one man who came an conquered Afghanistan and that was Alexnader the Great and he did it by the sword and yes It is said Alexander founded Kandahar.

Correct me if I am wrong. (old farts diseace,read to many book's) :salute:

Try "A Bear Came Over The Mountain" - I don't recall the author, and a google search reveals a couple of unrelated books by Sid Marty and Alice Munroe - those aren't the ones (and my personal copy is still packed away in a box somewhere - I'll get the bookshelves built someday.)

The book I'm thinking of was written by a Soviet who had direct experience in their Afghan campaign in the '80s.  It was required reading for all 3 PPCLI Sr NCOs, WOs and Offrs prior to our embarkation in '02.

I'm sorry I can't give better details here - someone help me out.

"The Bear Went Over the Mountain"  by Lester Grau. A better read is his next book "The Other Side of the Mountain" by Grau and Ali Jalali which deals with tactics from the muj side.

Also, "Taliban" by Ahmed Rashid and "Koran, Kalashnikov and Laptop" by Giustozzi are great reads.

Mortar guy said:
"The Bear Went Over the Mountain"  by Lester Grau. A better read is his next book "The Other Side of the Mountain" by Grau and Ali Jalali which deals with tactics from the muj side.

Also, "Taliban" by Ahmed Rashid and "Koran, Kalashnikov and Laptop" by Giustozzi are great reads.

Yes - THAT's the one.  Thank you.

It's a good take on the tactical problems faced by the Soviets - and you're right - "The Other Side of the Mountain" is also an excellent (perhaps better) read.

Back