• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ground sheets

solid1191

Inactive
Reaction score
I have some ground sheets for hootches but they smell reallllly bad any way i can fix this??

Get used to the smell, or you can try airing it out, an maybe spray it with febreeze(or something like that) might help.

you really only need one ground sheet.  General issue is 1x Utility Sheet per Person.  But what DNA / Combat_Cook has said will work...  although personally i like the smell of QMS and surplus store.  For more info on setting it up check out my topic on hooches.
Regards

great post on  the hootches, if i put febreeze on it wont it attract insects and such/

Like moths to a flame....

Combat_Cook said:
an maybe spray it with febreeze(or something like that) might help.

God, I hope you were joking.

If you are able to, just air them out for a couple days. The ground sheet usually smells when brand new (good smell). Or when the get packed away wet (bad smell).

If you really have to get rid of the smell, washing them in a huge heavy duty washer like you find at a laundrymat in lukewarm water works as well. Caution (only 2-3 per load. Hang to dry (NOT in a dryer).

After a few days in the field, you'll be smelling worse then the hooch anyways. ;D

If it's got a kind of pukey smell, then that's the characteristic odor of the urethane laminate on the nylon. 

If you want to try and get rid of the smell, you should try Mirazyme.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7638027&memberId=12500226

you really only need one ground sheet.

I'd disagree, I have about 4 groundsheets.   During your ex your groundsheet might get swapped with a shitty ratted one by accident and now all of a sudden you need a new one which can sometimes be a hassle.
If your on an excersise and its non tactical sometimes it's nice to set up a big hooch for yourself to make you more comfortable.
Having a spare hooch is great if you want to use it (with chalk) to make a map model and you don't want to go digging in your kit.

Ghost778 said:
If your on an excersise and its non tactical sometimes it's nice to set up a big hooch for yourself to make you more comfortable.

bug out!    :eek:

I keep it as simple as i can.  You never spend much time in it anyway  ;)

If you see the CQ and the rest of thehigher ups putting out nice big hoochies it's a pretty safe bet theres not going to be a big bug out.

Pulling those when it's an untactical administration hide is just dicking around the troops and even then theres a good chance someones doing to drop a hint that theres a bug out (because the higher ups dont wanna look stupid right?) so you'll quietly hear to start pulling down your hooch.
Yes that negates the whole bug out idea and another reason they shouldnt be pulled under those circumstances.

i have two sheets but, one of my sheet's insides is all ripped. The inside layer. is that important? theres liike none left its been like peeled off or skinned or something. Will it still work?

What kind of excercieses do you do that you need ground sheets? Do you guys do survival stuff?

sgt_mandal said:
What kind of excercieses do you do that you need ground sheets? Do you guys do survival stuff?

back when i was in and it sounds like the ground sheets described here are the same, we used them for quick tents.  zip two togther and you get a cozy tent for two - body heat in the subzero.  or we just use them to lie on in the wet/mud.  worst/best case is you wrap yourself and the sleeping bag up in it to keep the bag dry/clean while your lying on the ground

I know what ground sheets are, I've had to use them myself more than a few times over the summer lol. I just wanted to know what exercises you guys use them for.

142Highlander said:
i have two sheets but, one of my sheet's insides is all ripped. The inside layer. is that important? theres liike none left its been like peeled off or skinned or something. Will it still work?

Yes the inside layer is the most important.  Its the urethane coating that makes it waterproof.

The vomit scent from a ground sheet and the Hexamine tablet smell, ahh the scent of war!!Almost as good as cordite. I carry one with all the paracord attached to the tabs and 6 black size large bungee cords.The inner skin is what makes it water resistant.If thats gone, exchange for a new one.

In regards to knowing whether you're gonna but out or not...

Units will have SOPs as to different states of readiness.  At each of those various states of readiness you'll have a matrix of activities that can or cannot be performed.

For example.  If you've been notified that you're in a 5 minute state of readiness (which is that you'll be moving in either 5 minutes, or prepared to stand-to, etc.) you'll probably be told that you want to be within the confines of your immediate sub-unit (section, crew, etc.) and performing activities that are only essential ie. refilling your water bottle, taking a piss, throwing some CLP on your weapon, etc.  Stuff like laying out your sleeping bag and setting up a hooch, or breaking out the stove to brew up are not permitted.  If you're at a 20 minute readiness level, then other activities are prescribed, such as digging fighting positions, weapons maintenance, running the stove, setting up a hooch etc.

The other thing to always do is keep your stuff together at all times.  When you're done using something, put it back in its place.

Here's a bit of an anecdote.  Back in August of 2001 my unit, D Co. 4th LAR Bn. USMC, was up in Wainwright AB of all places on Ex.  We were on our final FTX. and doing a force on force against a Gurkha unit that was over from the UK for their training cycle.  Our company had set a screen line to picket the Gurkha's advance and the scouts were deployed from the vehicle in dismounted OPs.  Sometime in the middle of the night the Gurkhas began their advance and were pressing hard into our positions.  The order to withdraw was given to us just as a platoon of Gurkhas began to assault into our position.  On hearing the order by the scout team leader to bug out, a young PFC of his responds "I'll be right there..." and on closer inspection the team leader noticed that this kid had a literal kit explosion around him.  His entire ruck was unpacked and was dressed in his skivvies, .  Apparently he missed the meaning of what had been passed in the op. order.  The end result was this kid running down the hill towards the LAV with his pants around his ankles, ruck slung over one shoulder, sleeping bag being dragged in the other hand.  As a good troop, don't let this happen to you (keep your sh*t tight) and as a good NCO, don't let your boys miss the meaning of what the task at hand entails.

If you're in a unit that doesn't bather to pass word as to what the situation is and what readiness level you're in, then I suggest you ask, otherwise you're gonna get f*cked when spending time in the field and having your ass hanging in the breeze.

Regarding ground sheets, I unpacked a new load of ground sheets at QM the other day... they seem to be made out of the same material as the valise bags, as opposed to the old style ground sheets... meaning they'll be more durable, but they're a little more heavy (Given the option between a ground sheet that stays water proof, vs a slightly lighter weight one that leaks like a seive... you make the decision... and they don't smell.

F/Sgt_mandal said:
I know what ground sheets are, I've had to use them myself more than a few times over the summer lol. I just wanted to know what exercises you guys use them for.

im my limited 4 year experiance, you use them on all but the range weekend, on most range weekends you are in shacks. In the feild IF i put up a hooch, i only use one, usually i just use my bivi bag, if its raining alot, i usually put up a hoock just to keep my face, and rusk as dry as possible for as long as possible.

Back