• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Defence

Copied over from the Ukraine thread as relevant here. I remember learning how to break ground with explosives

I wish someone had mentioned that at Suffield.

3 ft down and hitting hard pan. 12 hours work and our section managed to hack out one L-trench to waist height.

Borden was much more pleasant.

I wish someone had mentioned that at Suffield.

3 ft down and hitting hard pan. 12 hours work and our section managed to hack out one L-trench to waist height.

In Camp Julien the ground was so hard that it took a month to build the first of two gun pits. It was only two-feet deep with two small crew and ammo bunkers and they broke four contractors' backhoe shovels doing it.

Dirt is relative. Sometimes HESCO is the answer.

🍻

In Camp Julien the ground was so hard that it took a month to build the first of two gun pits. It was only two-feet deep with two small crew and ammo bunkers and they broke four contractors' backhoe shovels doing it.

Dirt is relative. Sometimes HESCO is the answer.

🍻

Even HESCOs require fill and strangely the world is running out of both sand and gravel. Increasingly gravel has to be manufactured from living rock and sand is being imported. Saudi is importing sand from Australia so that it can build in the desert. In Gulf War 1 the Brits were reduced to flying sand into the desert so that they could fill their sandbags because the local sand was too fine for the course weave bags that had been designed with claggy, wet northern soils in mind.

Sometimes the answer isn't a trench but a sangar. Sometimes the answer is in rocks, or peat, or trees or wattle or snow.

Borden is a sandbox - which is probably why it's there. We used to do m/c training there which included off-roading, on Harleys. If not careful you could bury them up to the axles in a heartbeat.

Back