• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gotta Love the Drone!!

Is there not one sitting in the hallway at the school in Gtown? (sentinel that is)

BernDawg said:
Is there not one sitting in the hallway at the school in Gtown? (sentinel that is)

Look a couple of posts above yours......

parkie said:
also in use back then was a russian made jet engine drone,can't remember the name exactly,The chinese ended up using them for their,projects,using reverse engineering,Now it comes to me, a Lavochin,I beleive I spelled that right,could fly about 600 mph .

Nick
I beleive this is what you were speaking about parkie, The lavochkin La-17c,after the vietnam war. The chinese converted it from ramjet to turbo,they used reverse engineering to produce it and simple changed the style of the engine. A very fast uav .     

http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/uav/ck1.asp

Ok.....I'm new here, and not very knowledgeable in the military field.....however, I am well educated, and know that the US Military ALWAYS has something up it's sleeve. Is it not POSSIBLE that a new drone is seeing it's first real combat testing??? "IF" this is the case, and it's the first real combat testing, is it protocol for ALL Canadian soldiers to be notified of new weaponry by an allied country? Or would they only notify the soldiers that would be directly involved with the testing....ie: soldiers in the field where the weapon will be tested??? Knowing what the US is like, I would assume that they would want to keep it as quiet as possible, so that if it doesn't work, the entire world isn't watching it fail on live TV or something... I did a quick search on Google on the x-45 and found some really interesting information on this craft, and though there are no new articles on Boeing's website, it appears as though as of 2005, these new UCAV's passed all of thier testing (performed at Edward's Airforce Base) with flying colors. Here's the site I did most of my reading on.....
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/x-45/index.html

Basically, I'd like to know what reasons those of you who are in the Forces, have for not believing this "report"? (Other than "Haven't seen it with my own two eyes.") What is military protocol for informing current non combatantants (those of you who aren't stationed in the warzone where the testing will take place) about new technology? For example, how were the Canadian Forces notified about the Stealth? Before, or after it's first successfull mission in Panama? And, if you were notified before the mission, do you have factual evidence that it was NEVER used in combat prior to Panama? (just looking for a yes or no answer on that last question....not fishing for classified information.)
Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Well Haywire

As we have explained to you before, with colaboration from an engineer who actually worked in the field, we find the evidence a little hard to believe. 

On another note; would you like to come clean with your ID?

I guess haywire and his other personalities are unfamiliar with the notion of IPs being logged.

It's not very pastoral to make light of this situation. I think it's quite sad
that an individual would have to MAKE UP information, let alone a second
account to argue such a minuscule point to begin with.

However, I left the collar at work today, so I'm laughing quite hard at this one.  ;)

BAD Padre BAD!!!!!  ;D

Haywire, perhaps you should re think your Recce on this, you seem to be compromised, I suggest you Pop smoke and run.

(hopefully far far away so as to never be seen again)

Haywire?
How’s it goin bud?let’s not get into a match of one upping the other guy.over nothing. whatever is out there let’s you and me keep it our little secret? Okay? Friends?   

If I knew giving out the number for the local pizza hut might even the smallest little chance put somebody  in danger or lessen their chances of success,you won’t get squat out of me.
In times like this,while we have fellow Canadians and Americans in harms way,no use trying to make things worse for them over nothing.I think we all noted how closely prying eyes keep track of our politics,one can bet they are watching other things as well,Why  take the chance of putting friends any further in danger over idle gossip.While it is nice to converse with people of the same plane of thought,and be able to hold an open an for the most part civil debate,Remember how powerful of a tool the Internet is,and it’s there for everyone with access to outside communications.you take care there bud! remember there's self gratification in knowing.
                                                                                            Nick

drone's anyone?

I just finished reading "Not a Good Day to Die : The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda " by Sean Naylor http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0425196097/102-8738411-6776954?v=glance&n=283155, which had some interesting information about the use of the Predator in the Sha-i-kot valley in 2002.

This is a quick and dirty summary;

1. Predators were used for the initial recce of the valley, and during the battle. As well, they were used by SF units in particular to scout ahead of convoys driving down the road.

2. The Taliban and AQ fighters in the region may well have been tipped that something was up, since the Predators have a distinctive audio signature ("a loud buzzing like a lawm mower engine").

3. Using them during the battle was a mixed blessing. The chain of command was fragmented, so information the Predators could see wasn't being passed or passed in a timely manner to those who could use it. It also created dangerous miscommunications, since people attached to a Predator feed seemed to feel they had full situational awareness (SA), when this was not the case.

4. During the battle, airspace management was an issue, especially with helicopters, "Fast Movers" and high altitude bombers moving through the same airspace. Flying into a friendly A/C, bomb or missile can spoil an otherwise good day.

5. In the entire period under report, there is only ONE instance of an armed predator making an appearance and striking a target. In this case, it is unclear why the CIA had an armed Predator in play (although there were rumors that high value targets might be in the Sha-i-kot, confirmation was never forthcoming). In any event , they released it to help out the SOF troops trapped on the peak of the Takur Ghar. One Hellfire was expended to give the troops on the ground a sense of how well it could shoot, and the second Hellfire destroyed a bunker.

Food for though about the real life use of drones.

What's the drone that can loiter for hours. There was talk and sound bits of it at the start of the Iraq war, but have not seen much since. Is that the predator?

The Predator can loiter for a few hours, see: http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=122.

Perhaps you are thinking of the "Global Hawk", which is an airliner sized drone for strategic recce:http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=175

most likely northrop's tierII global hawk
                            nick

Nick...if you are going to continue to post here please get your own account and seperate it from parkies. Thanks!

Back