• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

Personally, I don't vote for politicians as role models. Mine are mostly in their 70's, or dead.

As someone who has always been a non-partisan voter, and after more than ten years of retirement, what I am more interested in is their answers to these questions,

https://mroo.org/adm/documents/Federal-Party-Positions-2015.pdf

milnews.ca said:
And in this case, a reporter for a right-leaning media outlet was refused access to a public event - can't tell if he was given a reason.

Mark my words, if this guy manages to win, he will be just as bad as Trump and Ford.  I hope the voters see through him.

stellarpanther said:
Mark my words, if this guy manages to win, he will be just as bad as Trump and Ford.  I hope the voters see through him.

Ok, that is just batshit crazy talk.

We have PM currently who refuses to give a straight answer to any question that he is asked; acted unethically, if not outright broke the law on SNC Lavalin; appears to have only a cursory grasp of the issues facing Canada...and you are worried that Scheer might be as bad as Trump?

Are entirely immune to irony or are you just trolling?

Scheer is about as exciting as vanilla ice cream. Yet, that might just be enough, right now.

>just as bad as Trump

Yeah.  I'm really getting that vibe right now.

>and Ford

Which one?

Brad Sallows said:
>just as bad as Trump

Yeah.  I'm really getting that vibe right now.

>and Ford

Which one?

Probably Henry. But could be Gerald. Who knows?

stellarpanther said:

That’s silly nonsense. Trump is in a league all of his own. There is nothing quite like him among first world democracies, though similar populist firebrands with a fiery presentation and a less-than-deft hand on the wheel of state exist elsewhere such as Brazil and the Philippines.

Ford is garden variety unimpressive populist, but not particularly remarkable.

Scheer’s social views are a bit gross to me, I have little time for evangelicals who have shown a desire to restrict the rights of others due to their personal religious views. He’s an uninspiring leadership candidate, and against a better PM he wouldn’t stand a chance. But, if he is elected, I have no fear he’ll do anything too outlandish, hysterical fear mongering to the contrary.

Whoever wins this, we will as a consequence see Canada’s normal measured and incremental legislative drift in the direction of the victorious party, but there will be little to nothing earth shattering. We have a strong constitution, an independent judiciary that is quick to curb legislative overreach, and an upper house in our legislature that enjoys a reasonable amount of independence, and which has shown itself willing to rework legislation coming up from the House if it’s going to cause problems.

With a little luck, whichever government is elected will fail to achieve a majority, helping to further temper any inclinations to excess. Our checks and balances are pretty decent.

Wild cries about the peril our country is in and how it will be the end of Canada as we know it if x or y happens is just white noise.

stellarpanther said:
Trump?  Please - not even close to being in the same ballpark.

Ford?  I don't like some of what he's doing, and awaiting the bigger picture, but he's also backtracked a bit on some stuff that went a bit further than some would have liked.

I would reckon Scheer would appoint adult cabinet ministers rather than the gang JT appointed.

Hamish Seggie said:
I would reckon Scheer would appoint adult cabinet ministers rather than the gang JT appointed.

That’s an interesting take. Who out of the current cabinet do you think fails the ‘adult’ test? By and large I don’t think the cabinet has been much of the problem here, and there are some individuals with some compelling experience in a few roles.

milnews.ca said:
The odds may improve, but never any guarantees of all cabinet ministers being great, no matter what colour the team jerseys, right?  ;)

When it comes to politicians, it seems some can be remarkably tolerant - if the colour of the team jersey is correct.  :)

I am more hopeful that a change in party will get us away from a very dangerous affiliation with China. 

Fishbone Jones said:
Trudeau has centralized power to the PMO and currently does whatever he wants. Without repercussions. He demonizes and fires anyone not in total lockstep with his mantra. He is untouchable. To give him a second mandate will only bolster his ego....
Yep, those are pretty terrible attributes for any elected leader.  Who could support such an abysmal human being?  :pop:

Journeyman said:
Yep, those are pretty terrible attributes for any elected leader.  Who could support such an abysmal human being?  :pop:

Hey, I see what you did there....

Journeyman said:

Nice reach.  Since we are comparing, at least Mueller & Co. were allowed to finish and AG William Barr and US Attorney John Durham are on their way to getting to the bottom of things, meanwhile JWR was obstructed then fired and the RCMP took an election break.     

There are a lot of embarrassing things for both countries, but for very different reasons. 

QV said:
Nice reach.  Since we are comparing, at least Mueller & Co. were allowed to finish and AG William Barr and US Attorney John Durham are on their way to getting to the bottom of things, meanwhile JWR was obstructed then fired and the RCMP took an election break.     

There are a lot of embarrassing things for both countries, but for very different reasons.

Nah, he hit the nail on the head.

So, not sure if anyone watched last night's debate.

The clear winner was the Bloc leader.  He handled everything quite well and even got some good punches in on Scheer (he was weak on a lot of things but the language barrier may have been a factor)and Trudeau.  I can see why he went after Scheer especially as I figure he is competing for rural Quebec votes.    I think the return of the Bloc is a an interesting turn I would not have predicted.

Scheer was gangbanged by everyone but that could mean one of two things or both. 

1. There may already be a deal hatched between the LPC and the NDP if a minority situation happens.

2. Scheer is starting to be perceived as a front runner

I have been watching the poll tracker the last week and we can see the LPC dipping (although not by huge amounts) and the CPC was rising by the same increments the LPC was dropping.  Note the Bloc have made significant gains and apparently those gains are where they count towards more seats.

Today though we still see the LPC down by their usual amount but the CPC took a bit of a sharper drop 0.3 as opposed to the steady 0.1 gains they were making. 

Still statistically unimportant in the overall picture but there was a trend upward for the CPC.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

I'll be curious to see how the debate and this latest two plane debacle will play out.

I'm usually apolitical, but I'll be voting for the Cons primarily for two reasons:

The filthy communists want to take my guns, and they gave $10 mil to Khadr. 

Not to mention the Blackface thing, the SNC Lavalin scandal, and importing hundreds, if not thousands of un-vetted terrorists.

I guess there are more than two reasons.

I would rather the party leaders focus on debating substantive policy issues, but I have to admit that the "camping gear and costumes" quip about Trudeau's second plane is pretty funny.

I would tend to agree with your assessment of Scheer and the Conservatives now being seen as a threat. This puts the Liberals in a bind as they are fighting a two front war. Pivot too far left and they lose the blue liberals to the conservatives. Pivot too far right and the NDP/ Greens eat their lunch- although the liberals may have already calculated they can make deal with one or both in a minority situation to keep them in power.

Back