• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

dapaterson said:
Hmm.. the potential outcomes only add up to 99%.  I guess that means a 1% chance of Kang and Kodos invading and taking over.

At this point, I'm not sure that would be a bad thing...

avatars-000008236976-ihsxhg-t500x500.jpg

I, for one, salute our new alien overlords...

milnews.ca said:

Regarding the above,

Global News

October 16, 2019

Scheer won’t explain travel to America as citizen without valid U.S. passport
https://globalnews.ca/news/6037999/scheer-us-travel-us-passport/
Multiple requests to the party for an explanation have been ignored over the last 11 days.

stellarpanther said:
I can't believe I never heard of that site before... There's some funny stuff in there especially this one.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/10/putin-impressed-canadian-voters-dont-need-help-spreading-disinformation/

Putin impressed Canadian voters don’t need help spreading disinformation

:)

Liberals - Conservatives running 'dirtiest' campaign ever!

Also Liberals - https://globalnews.ca/news/6039611/liberals-post-video-of-scheer-sitting-during-o-canada-tory-leader-says-they-politicized-anthem/

Global News asked the Liberal Party why it released the video of Scheer on Wednesday and while simultaneously accusing the Tories of divisive campaign tactics.

A Liberal Party spokesperson provided a brief statement in response but did not directly answer the questions.

Double standard is wine of communion with the LPC.

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…

Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947

If the voting really turns out to be this divided on the left and by some miracle the Conservatives end up forming a government, it had better be a majority otherwise we will be right back at this in less than 6 months.

Cloud Cover said:
If the voting really turns out to be this divided on the left and by some miracle the Conservatives end up forming a government, it had better be a majority otherwise we will be right back at this in less than 6 months.

I'd be happy with that as long as the Liberals and Conservatives replace their leader.

I'm also happy if we get a government that can't pass any legislation / effect any changes, would probably be the best government ever.

My memory tells me those who cause the fall of a minority Gov often end up outside official party status.

Cloud Cover said:

When I walked out of the advance poll on Monday I said "see you in four years".  The poll worker responded "maybe sooner".  ;D

Brihard said:
I can’t wait for this gong show to be over.
I hope I'm wrong, but no matter who wins, we're going to be seeing nothing but this ...

I love Journeyman's idea about having the government come together every 6 months to decide if any policies have to change or anything needs to be done.

I like the PPCs idea of less government.
We need more control of where money from taxes are spent. Seeing stupid tweets bragging about sending millions of dollars to whoever is annoying as hell.

stellarpanther said:
This was posted a short time ago on Twitter from Obama.  I'm curious to see if this will help Trudeau.  Elections Canada when asked has already said this is not interfer

I was proud to work with Justin Trudeau as President. He's a hard-working, effective leader who takes on big issues like climate change. The world needs his progressive leadership now, and I hope our neighbors to the north support him for another term.

Interesting how foreigners inserting themselves into Canadian elections is generally thought to be a bad thing...unless it is designed to help the Liberals.

Thought experiment time: what would be the general (media) reaction in Canada to GW Bush endorsing Andrew Scheer, I wonder?

SeaKingTacco said:
Thought experiment time: what would be the general (media) reaction in Canada to GW Bush endorsing Andrew Scheer, I wonder?
a) it would be worlds better than a Trump endorsement.  ("dammit, we've managed to keep Ford muzzled, and now this...")

b) you could spin a Bush 43 endorsement as embracing LGBQT+ support.... since Ellen DeGeneres and GWB are supposedly buddies.  ;)

Just for info, the Vivian Krause very one-sided documentary "Over A Barrell" is availablr (FREE ~ until 31 Oct 19) on Fracebook.

It's very one-sided because of most of the people she enamed refused to be interviewed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 11.53.00.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 11.53.00.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 65
My political preference would be some form of Green/Conservative Coalition Government.  I know, this sounds crazy, but hear me out!

I am what you would call a "Progressive Conservative", I am fiscally conservative but believe strongly in a lot of social issues i.e. Indigenous reconciliation, LGBTQ+ rights, pro-choice, etc.  In those cases, I like what the Green Party is saying a lot. 

I also think that we have a duty to look after the environment and believe in ethical/responsible business practices and that means doing our best for the environment; however, we also can't destroy our economy.  I believe there are some compromises that can be made though and that the Green Party and Conservative Party could actually work well together.  I very much liked that Elizabeth May said she would support Canadians using Canadian oil and ween us off foreign oil.  For that to happen, we need pipelines so there is already some compromise that could happen there.  Likewise, I think a fairly significant portion of taxes the Government generates from oil royalties should go towards Green Initiatives. 

I like large portions of the Green Party Foreign & Defence Platform particularly the focus on banning foreign importation of oil and cancelling the AFV deal with Saudi Arabia.  As well, I think the Greens would actually beef up our military in certain respects, particularly in light of this piece from their platform:

The security and defence of the nation is a fundamental responsibility of any sovereign government. Not since the end of the Cold War 30 years ago has global security seemed so precarious. Contributing to this is the disruption being caused by climate change – referred to by military analysts as a threat multiplier. This will only worsen as the Earth heats up, including in Canada.

One thing I didn't like was that they would recommend banning autonomous weapon systems, that like the Anti Land-Mine Treaty is militarily stupid and I would strongly advise against doing that.  I suspect this would be quickly stricken from their policy if they ever had the opportunity to form part of a government and again, compromise could be sought.

For any of this too happen though, the Greens would need to become significantly stronger than they are at present.  Not going to happen this election but could it in the future? I think there is a lot in the Green platform that Rural Conservative Voting Canadians (who honestly have the most to lose from Climate Change) could like from the Green Party Platform.  All this being said, I know it is a crazy idea but it could just be a match made in heaven.

Humphrey Bogart said:
I am what you would call a "Progressive Conservative", I am fiscally conservative but believe strongly in a lot of social issues i.e. Indigenous reconciliation, LGBTQ+ rights, pro-choice, etc.  ,

All this being said, I know it is a crazy idea but it could just be a match made in heaven.

I am politically about the same as you.

The only problem with your match made in heaven though is pipelines.  One would want them all over heaven, the other wants them sent to hell.  Either way someone will get dirty...

AbdullahD said:
Sometimes I wonder if dictators are really so bad hahaha

Germany tried that experiment. We know how it ended.

Remius said:
I am politically about the same as you.

The only problem with your match made in heaven though is pipelines.  One would want them all over heaven, the other wants them sent to hell.  Either way someone will get dirty...

I think the big issue for the Green Party WRT pipelines is what happens after the Oil leaves the pipe and gets put on a ship and this is also a Major gripe for many people in British Columbia.  It makes sense given the strong Green presence on Vancouver Island & the surrounding Gulf Islands and honestly, it should be a concern.  A major shipping accident akin to the Exxon Valdez would be absolutely devastating not just ecologically but also economically for Lower Mainland, Vancouver & Gulf Islands, BC and we should take it seriously. 

If and when Trans-Mountain Pipeline does get built, we should have multiple contingency and response plans to deal with such an incident and the Federal Government should have a robust spill response capability.  Given how the Federal Government has severely mismanaged the Coast Guard, Navy and DFO in the past, I see little hope for this yet. 

Back