• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gen Dallaires move to the big screen

Marty

Inactive
Reaction score
This ought to be interesting

HALIFAX (CP) - Telefilm Canada has approved funding for production of a feature film based on retired Lt.-Gen. Romeo Dallaire's searing book Shake Hands With the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda, says the Halifax Film Company and Toronto's Barna-Alper Productions.
ADVERTISEMENT

Principal photography is expected to begin this winter in Canada and South Africa.

The Dallaire book has already been made into a documentary film, and a character loosely based on Dallaire was played by actor Nick Nolte in the acclaimed film Hotel Rwanda.

This Canadian film would be written by Yves Simoneau and Simon Barry and directed by Simoneau (Nuremberg). No word yet on casting. The budget is expected to be about $11 million.

Shake Hands With the Devil tells the story of Dallaire, as leader of the
United Nations peacekeeping mission in Rwanda a decade ago and how he became a helpless and traumatized witness to the tribal genocide that occurred there.

"We are grateful that at a time when funding is scarce, Telefilm Canada has graced us with the financing to move forward with this compelling feature film project," says producer Laszlo Barna.

"This is a Canadian story with a true international relevance," says Simoneau

Any General Officer who becomes "helpless and traumitized" shouldn't have been a Genral Officer in the first damned place.

I'm sick of hearing about this loser - he failed miserably; only in Canada is a failure elevated to the status of public hero.

I'm done.

Although i think Dallaies part on the big screen is over doing it, calling him a "loser" and "failure is a bit much. Lets tie your hands and push you down a flight of stairs, and see if you can avoid getting bumped. Not likely...

Since when did General Officers become "non-human" - trauma and helplessness can happen to anyone, even Generals.   Does being helpless or traumatized make him a loser?   I do agree that it should not make his life story a big screen picture.   The price he has paid for serving his country and leading on the International scene has been a big one, from potential CDS to suicidal, media punching bag. Did the mission fail - yes, does that make him a loser or just very unfortunate.   Being judged by the public will always be harsher than International Tribunals.   For many, regardless of their decisions or their past, looking in the mirror is not a hard task, for those with a soul and a conscience - it can be difficult.   I'm not convinced he is/was ready for the attention that his story has drawn.   I blame his handlers.

I don't recall calling him a "non-human" - a quick review of my previous post reveals that I didn't.

My point is this - anyone can fail - that's a fact.  No one should kick a man when he's down, especially once he's done his best.  On the other hand, no one should elevate a failure, ESPECIALLY once he's done his best and it wasn't good enough.

In Canada, however, a failure (not even a gallant one) can become a national hero, and in this particular case, a Senator.

I remain sick of hearing of this failiure, who has somehow been twisted into a national hero.

Human he is - hero he isn't.

Retired CC said:
In Canada, however, a failure (not even a gallant one) can become a national hero, and in this particular case, a Senator.

I remain sick of hearing of this failiure, who has somehow been twisted into a national hero.
The Cult of the Victim: Canada's national religion.

To this day neither Dallaire nor the Canadian public seem to realize the extent of his personal failure as a commander. He had more than adequate forces to destroy the thugs but he didn't use them. He could have nipped the massacre in the bud and did nothing. He knew his men were being held captive and did nothing. He had a meeting with the leaders of the murder gangs and did nothing.

The only equivalent failure of dithering command that comes to mind is Elphinstone at Kabul in 1842.

Michael Shannon said:
To this day neither Dallaire nor the Canadian public seem to realize the extent of his personal failure as a commander. He had more than adequate forces to destroy the thugs but he didn't use them. He could have nipped the massacre in the bud and did nothing. He knew his men were being held captive and did nothing. He had a meeting with the leaders of the murder gangs and did nothing.

The only equivalent failure of dithering command that comes to mind is Elphinstone at Kabul in 1842.

Yes, if only those above him would allow him. That is what I meant by tied hands, he requested on several accounts to take action to counter the Genocide, but the UN, in all its wisdom... said no. Hind sights 20/20, but we can only do so much when those who have no comprehention of whats on the ground, are in charge.

I am NOT second guessing his actions.  I'm simply stating that he FAILED.

There are many reasons for his failure - the lousy "ticket punching" career ladder in the CF, the lack of support from the UN, his inexperience as a Commander, the local conditions - the fact remains that he FAILED.

It is not the failure that bothers me so much - as previously stated, he is human.  What bothers me is that instead of giving him the medical treatment he obviously required, and then quietly retiring him, letting him fade into the background where he belongs, WE (the Great Canadian Collective) have somehow lionized this guy, made him a national hero, and appointed him a Senator.  Within the Senate, he's regarded as an "expert" on military matters - just what we need, a failed General in a position of considerable political influence vis a vis military matters.

Before we get into a some kind of pissing contest over what he should/could have done; no I don't think I would have done better - then again I was not a General Officer. 

When I failed at various things throughout my career, I was disciplined - I received commendations, accolades, and promotions for my various SUCCESSES.

Compared to most of the other 95 members of Senate, some who have held positions for more than 30 years, he is a military expert.  Except of course if you count the failed former MND, our boy Art who contracted with his girlfriend.

Gunner98 said:
Compared to most of the other 95 members of Senate, some who have held positions for more than 30 years, he is a military expert.  Except of course if you count the failed former MND, our boy Art who contracted with his girlfriend.

You're 100% correct.

Now I AM depressed!

Back