• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Right, so make up your mind.

Is it police that are going to be cracking skulls or is it going to be protestors trying to run people down?

As for tactical genius, give me a break. The professionals politicians have completely messed this up, top to bottom incompetence.
Whatever you say Clausewitz πŸ˜‰

Whatever you say Clausewitz πŸ˜‰
The police chief in Ottawa isn't a politician.

He's clearly out of his depth crying about everything he cannot do and not doing things he can do.

Like the police version of general McClellan, just sitting around with his thumb up....

France and Belgium also have a lot more Police than Canada and a history of dealing with this very thing. France has close to 460 police per 100,000, plus they use the Army to protect Federal and high value sites which frees up further police resources.

Canada, by comparion has roughly 185 police per 100,000 people. The Country is also massive compared to France so the effects of that are even more pronounced.

Ottawa itself is even worse, 121 police per 100,000 citizens.

I may have mentioned before that a decade and a half or so in the past I was in Strasbourg literally in the middle of a large anarchists' demonstration. I was highly impressed with the way France handled that. The demonstration had a light police presence but shadowing the demonstration was a very large and well equipped riot police force with all the requisite gear and in a large herd of little minibuses and vans. The demonstration went fairly loudly with huge amounts of spray paint used for slogans on buildings and statues but peacefully. Overnight crews went in with pressure washers and by the next morning all signs of the demonstration were gone.

We do have a lot to learn.

🚐

The police chief in Ottawa isn't a politician.

He's clearly out of his depth crying about everything he cannot do and not doing things he can do.

Like the police version of general McClellan, just sitting around with his thumb up....
Look at you all full of bluster, very surprised you're not a commando with all the tough talk 😎

Look at you all full of bluster, very surprised you're not a commando with all the tough talk 😎
I look at other cities in Canada and they have not allowed for this to happen in their downtown cores or their legislative grounds.

Are they commandos? No. Competent? Oh my, yes.

Ottawa should do away with their chief and bring in the guy running the show in Quebec city.

I may have mentioned before that a decade and a half or so in the past I was in Strasbourg literally in the middle of a large anarchists' demonstration. I was highly impressed with the way France handled that. The demonstration had a light police presence but shadowing the demonstration was a very large and well equipped riot police force with all the requisite gear and in a large herd of little minibuses and vans. The demonstration went fairly loudly with huge amounts of spray paint used for slogans on buildings and statues but peacefully. Overnight crews went in with pressure washers and by the next morning all signs of the demonstration were gone.

We do have a lot to learn.

🚐
I saw similar scenes in Paris. Large demonstrations shadowed the entire time by Police.

Of course, the Gendarmerie were parked around the block, with water cannons, armoured vehicles and 100s of riot police if things got out of hand.

Also, all of the major sites: Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, CdeG Airport, Metro, etc. Were patrolled by soldiers.

The soldiers were all in groups of four, with rifles and a mag on the weapon. The soldiers were very friendly and would talk to people but their presence was definitely felt.

Brussels joins Paris...yeah, I've always looked to the French as a guide to enlightened governance.

Probably for partisan political reasons, restrictions are falling away in the US. That will put additional pressure on Canadian governments. Plain old weathervane politics (follow the people) will defuse all the factions protesting restrictions. That will leave exposed the remnant of people protesting other things.
Well Canada is the only G7 country still mandating PCR-testing before and after air travel.

That makes us leaders, right? πŸ˜‰

Brussels joins Paris...yeah, I've always looked to the French as a guide to enlightened governance.
They are the originators of "LibertΓ©, Γ©galitΓ©, fraternitΓ©" and it's still their national motto.

πŸ˜‰

I have heard something about truckers going the airports.

If the truckers blocked NavCanada Goose Bay would that not knockout all trans Atlantic flights? That would that may get some real attention.

Probably not enough people and trucks there.
Oceanic control is not done from Goose Bay. There would be no impact. And there is no NavCan presence in Goose.

I look at other cities in Canada and they have not allowed for this to happen in their downtown cores or their legislative grounds.

Are they commandos? No. Competent? Oh my, yes.

Ottawa should do away with their chief and bring in the guy running the show in Quebec city.
QC had the benefit of seeing what happened here. I have no doubt that TO and QC would have had bigger issues if they were the first to be targeted .

Ok question as has been pointed out the aide to civil authority process. If the mayor requests etc. Could this be done in secret or quiet? Must it be public?

Ok question as has been pointed out the aide to civil authority process. If the mayor requests etc. Could this be done in secret or quiet? Must it be public?
Its up to the province to ask the Feds. I am not sure who does the asking and the answering. I do reckon there would be a debate in cabinet to accept the request or deny it.

The Mayors of Whatever City cannot ask the Feds directly for assistance....I think. I know Mayor Mel wanted troops for a snowstorm, but in Winnipeg we call that Tuesday.

Its up to the province to ask the Feds. I am not sure who does the asking and the answering. I do reckon there would be a debate in cabinet to accept the request or deny it.

The Mayors of Whatever City cannot ask the Feds directly for assistance....I think. I know Mayor Mel wanted troops for a snowstorm, but in Winnipeg we call that Tuesday.
Mayor can go to the province. Province asks the feds. feds say yea or nay. In a nutshell.

Anyone can yell at the moon about getting military assistance though.

The reason I ask is that few people asked me about things. They said they saw big green scary tank like thingies with wheels in the area. It was a LAV by their description. I was trying to tell them that no orders have been sent.

I told them just regular and/or reserve training. Nothing to get worked up about.

The reason I ask is that few people asked me about things. They said they saw big green scary tank like thingies with wheels in the area. It was a LAV by their description. I was trying to tell them that no orders have been sent.

I told them just regular and/or reserve training. Nothing to get worked up about.
I suspect there is no reserve training happening anywhere near the protests.

Any chance they were describing a TAPV?

Back