• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I live in Ottawa and am fed up with the inaction in resolving this situation.

A counter-protest is planned for Saturday. I may go.

Are any veterans' groups supporting this counter-protest? Anyone here thinking of going?

Are any veterans' groups supporting this counter-protest? Anyone here thinking of going?
If you currently serving in the military, you should think twice about going anywhere near either side of the protest.

Here's, some perspective. I think your purposely downplaying the numbers to fit your narrative. The protest is not just those on the ground. The protest is the thousands that lined the highways, rest centres, overpasses and shopping malls in support. It all those people, that supported by donating more than $10,000,000. A phenomenal amount of money, no matter how you try slice it. The other thousands of people that are supporting and setting up satellite protests around the country. And the Conservative Party of Canada, now that they've slipped the yolk of indecision and flip flopping.

So no, it is not a misconception that it is huge. The misconception is on your part.

The OPS have said there was only 8,000. My guess of 10,000 (Or maybe a little more) was based on what I saw myself and some earlier reports, so I've been really generous with the numbers. I'm not sure how I'm "downplaying the numbers" to fit any "narrative" given it was actually even less.

If you think I'm wrong please come visit Ottawa, I think it would really eye opening and you won't be all that impressed. Last night the number of so-called "freedom fighters" was only about 250 trucks remaining, they were still obnoxiously blasting their horns and shooting off fireworks in the middle of the night, but their numbers are dropping to something comparable to a local punk-rock show. At this point we'll see how many come back for another weekend, the police have announced they will be much better prepared this time.

The OPS have said there was only 8,000. My guess of 10,000 (Or maybe a little more) was based on what I saw myself and some earlier reports, so I've been really generous with the numbers. I'm not sure how I'm "downplaying the numbers" to fit any "narrative" given it was actually even less.

If you think I'm wrong please come visit Ottawa, I think it would really eye opening and you won't be all that impressed. Last night the number of so-called "freedom fighters" was only about 250 trucks remaining, they were still obnoxiously blasting their horns and shooting off fireworks in the middle of the night, but their numbers are dropping to something comparable to a local punk-rock show. At this point we'll see how many come back for another weekend, the police have announced they will be much better prepared this time.
Hush with that talk.

Its clear that the majority of Canadians support them and any talk otherwise is team red propaganda.

If you think I'm wrong please come visit Ottawa, I think it would really eye opening and you won't be all that impressed. Last night the number of so-called "freedom fighters" was only about 250 trucks remaining, they were still obnoxiously blasting their horns and shooting off fireworks in the middle of the night, but their numbers are dropping to something comparable to a local punk-rock show.
250 can still cause enough disruption.

PPS is the one to look at for crowd estimates.

I won’t minimise the size as even 8000 is a lot. Given the weather and such it is still a good number.

The biggest difference here is the hardware. It’s a force multiplier and a dynamic for the authorities that they aren’t well equipped to deal with.

I suspect that the legit ones are now gone. These ones are here to just cause trouble now.

The city needs to get the injunction and move this on.

250 can still cause enough disruption.

PPS is the one to look at for crowd estimates.

I won’t minimise the size as even 8000 is a lot. Given the weather and such it is still a good number.

The biggest difference here is the hardware. It’s a force multiplier and a dynamic for the authorities that they aren’t well equipped to deal with.

I suspect that the legit ones are now gone. These ones are here to just cause trouble now.

The city needs to get the injunction and move this on.
Injunctions mean nothing.

The native railway protests had injunctions, the police did nothing.

The logging protest in BC had injunctions, it lead to fistfights with protestors and disparaging comments made of the RCMP.

Its clear that since Oka, nobody want the bad press involved in taking down a protest.

Injunctions mean nothing.

The native railway protests had injunctions, the police did nothing.

The logging protest in BC had injunctions, it lead to fistfights with protestors and disparaging comments made of the RCMP.

Its clear that since Oka, nobody want the bad press involved in taking down a protest.
Injunction is the escalation required. You don’t go start cracking heads until you go through the process. So the city needs to start there. An injunction will mean little to the occupiers but it will give authorities legal backup to do their jobs.

If he’s doing it as a private citizen?

For reference to the discussion,

7 pages.
LOCKED.

Injunction is the escalation required. You don’t go start cracking heads until you go through the process. So the city needs to start there. An injunction will mean little to the occupiers but it will give authorities legal backup to do their jobs.
Injunction or no injunction, the Ottawa police chief has made it pretty clear that he doesnt see a policing solution to this.

What is an injunction going to do that changes his mind?

Injunction or no injunction, the Ottawa police chief has made it pretty clear that he doesnt see a policing solution to this.

What is an injunction going to do that changes his mind?
It has nothing to do with changing his mind. An injunction is not a police solution it’s a legal one.

Before you do anything you need to exhaust all options. So let’s say it gets to the point where they would ask for the CAF for assistance to remove them. The first question that would be asked is “have all other options been exhausted”. If the answer is no then they will just send it back down.

In the case of occupy Ottawa, before the police went in to clear them out, they got an injunction.

It allows the police to arrest anyone who fails to respect said injunction.

Sloly was basically telling the city and the province to do something. Whether it was asking for CAF assistance or to get the legal ball rolling so he could start removing the occupiers.

This weekend could actually have everlasting effects on the lives of Canadians for the foreseeable future if the protest/counter protest gets out of control. Can you all imagine the fallout if the protest turns violent, and either side results to using a firearm? I would imagine that the Freedom Convoy members were all strictly warned about bringing firearms along with them, but if someone were to decide to defend their truck with a firearm, think of the repercussions.

This weekend could actually have everlasting effects on the lives of Canadians for the foreseeable future if the protest/counter protest gets out of control. Can you all imagine the fallout if the protest turns violent, and either side results to using a firearm? I would imagine that the Freedom Convoy members were all strictly warned about bringing firearms along with them, but if someone were to decide to defend their truck with a firearm, think of the repercussions.
Somebody was already arrested for making his way there with a fire arm.

If the protestors are as "volatile" as the OPS says they are, maybe a counter protest is a bad idea...

We know there are feces disturbers on both sides, how easy would it be for someone will ill intent to turn it from a protest/counter-protest into a riot?

Last edited:
I would have expected the police to be more detailed on what they are doing to react to the ‘signs of guns’ they mentioned earlier….or were all those signs just pointing at the one guy they arrested at ‘The Split’ (417&174)?

Without more detail (which should be a reasonable expectation of Ottawans, at least), the earlier comments by police seem more like lobbing fear-mongering balloons for the purpose of instilling fear, but without any firm information about what is being done to protect citizens from such dangers…what is OPS waiting for them? Wait until one of the protestors they saw with a gun, doesn’t something stupid with it and hurts someone? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would have expected the police to be more detailed on what they are doing to react to the ‘signs of guns’ they mentioned earlier….or were all those signs just pointing at the one guy they arrested at ‘The Split’ (417&174)?

Without more detail (which should be a reasonable expectation of Ottawans, at least), the earlier comments by police seem more like lobbing fear-mongering balloons for the purpose of instilling fear, but without any firm information about what is being done to protect citizens from such dangers…what is OPS waiting for them? Wait until one of the protestors they saw with a gun, doesn’t something stupid with it and hurts someone? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I suspect things like CCFR/NFA swag, and decals on vehicles are part of what they are referencing with the remark "signs of guns".

I suspect things like CCFR/NFA swag, and decals on vehicles are part of what they are referencing with the remark "signs of guns".
It could be anything. Empty holsters, gun bags, ammo bags, slings, hunting gear, gun racks, scopes and sights, cleaning kits.

No clue though as to what he was alluding to though when he said so. Only one gun related arrest so far.

Back