• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Honestly I’m sick of Canadians arguing over two political figures that are not Canadians. All I fricking hear is “Trump did this” and “Biden did that ”.
Let’s concentrate on Canada and its political figures please.
This is definitely the wrong thread for that. But I don't expect much else of a response from those who are supportive of freezing bank accounts, government overreach, and are incapable of differentiating observations from personal opinions.

Honestly I’m sick of Canadians arguing over two political figures that are not Canadians. All I fricking hear is “Trump did this” and “Biden did that ”.
Let’s concentrate on Canada and its political figures please
And FWIW I do not trust the current GoC.

Agreed.

Well, look at that eh...

Much as I disagree with most of QV's posts, I must say that was a classic passive aggressive case of of whataboutism.
Incorrect. It was not a whataboutism at all. A "whataboutism" would have included a positive critique of Trudeau by contracts to Trump. Eg. "yea, but what about Trump!"

This was ad hominem statement pointing out hypocrisy.

Incorrect. It was not a whataboutism at all. A "whataboutism" would have included a positive critique of Trudeau by contracts to Trump. Eg. "yea, but what about Trump!"

This was ad hominem statement pointing out hypocrisy.

How about that court ruling on the Emergency Measures Act eh ?

I'm okay with stuff like this; means our system is working as this was the first time it was invoked so should give much clearer ground rules, and this should set a precedence for going forwards.

Rightly or wrongly, at least they made a decision, but all could have probably been avoided by some actual firm decisions being made earlier on at the local level. Letting things build up for a month turned the response into a much bigger thing then it needed to be.

Hopefully they also will do a better job coordinating things with the municipal government in the future, but given the shit show that was the reopening of the street I doubt it.

How about that court ruling on the Emergency Measures Act eh ?
If the legal experts are of this opinion, who am I to argue about the legality of the action. Morally and tactically, I still think it was the right decision.

Rightly or wrongly, at least they made a decision, but all could have probably been avoided by some actual firm decisions being made earlier on at the local level. Letting things build up for a month turned the response into a much bigger thing then it needed to be.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans

This is definitely the wrong thread for that. But I don't expect much else of a response from those who are supportive of freezing bank accounts, government overreach, and are incapable of differentiating observations from personal opinions.
What a reductionist statement: "those who support freezing bank accounts". So you are against all cases of freezing bank accounts? There aren't any circumstances where that's inappropriate?

Government overreach; do you me a legally or philosophically? Legal the courts have said it was goveoverreach, which I'm not for. Philosophically, morally, tactically, I don't believe it was over reach.

The Canadian government knowingly acted illegally against it's citizens. At minimum, the PM, DPM, and CSIS director should be resigning (those are the only ones I am presently aware of that championed the EA while knowing the convoy didn't meet the national security threat threshold).

... Government overreach; do you me a legally or philosophically? Legal the courts have said it was goveoverreach, which I'm not for. Philosophically, morally, tactically, I don't believe it was over reach.
How dare you introduce nuance, shades of grey and being able to hold more than one thought at the same time into this discussion?!?! You'll never build good memes that way :)

What a reductionist statement: "those who support freezing bank accounts". So you are against all cases of freezing bank accounts? There aren't any circumstances where that's inappropriate?

Government overreach; do you me a legally or philosophically? Legal the courts have said it was goveoverreach, which I'm not for. Philosophically, morally, tactically, I don't believe it was over reach.
Lumber, of course when I state "freezing bank accounts" in this thread I am referring to the context of the convoy situation. I thought you were able to make that connection without assistance.

If the enactment of the EA was unconstitutional, was the force used by police during the street clearing unlawful then?

What enforcement happened only because of the EA declaration?

Back