• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former U.S. military service

• Thread starter Thread starter northamericanrebel
  • Start date Start date
So what exactly could i do to join the usmc full time. I know that with the green card you can only join reserves. Cause its either the French Foreign Legion or the USMC for me.

Umm.. to my knowlege, the french forgien legion has been disbanded..

Trust me they haven‘t been...just do a search online and you will see they are very much in existence.

I‘m from Ireland and am in the Canadian Army. Had to be in the country 3 continous years before getting my Canadian citizenship. I think you can get into the reserves with Landed Immigrant status.

North, I was born in France, one of my parents was Canadian and the other was American so I had triple citizenship. When I got my security clearance, the US made me relinquish both my French and Canadian nationalities. LOL

Hey

I‘m an American citizen, but would love to serve in the Canadian Forces- Army. I‘ve been to Canada and loved it, and have had an interest in the military for as long as i could remember. I would definately move north and enlist if I could. Any advice from anyone?

Thanks Alot

Originally posted by IJB21:
[qb] Hey

I‘m an American citizen, but would love to serve in the Canadian Forces- Army. I‘ve been to Canada and loved it, and have had an interest in the military for as long as i could remember. I would definately move north and enlist if I could. Any advice from anyone?
[/qb]
A landed immigrant can serve in the reserves, you need to be a citizen to serve in the regular forces.

I was asking the same thing about going the other way, from Canada to US forces.

Sounded long and complicated.

Originally posted by Sappo:
[qb] I was asking the same thing about going the other way, from Canada to US forces.

Sounded long and complicated. [/qb]
I take it you gave up?

Originally posted by Just a Sig Op:
[qb]
Originally posted by IJB21:
[qb] Hey

[/qb]
A landed immigrant can serve in the reserves, you need to be a citizen to serve in the regular forces. [/qb]
Not anymore. Now you have to be a Canadian Citizen to serve in regs or reserves.

Originally posted by kurokaze:
[qb]Not anymore. Now you have to be a Canadian Citizen to serve in regs or reserves. [/qb]
Can you show me reference on that?

We just had a reserve officer attested that‘s a landed immigrant.

Check this link out: http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/html/careers/career_advantage/training.html

The jist of it is that you have to be a Canadian citizen to serve in the reg force but a landed immigrant can serve in the reserves as an NCM.

Does anyone know if someone with prior military service applying for the Canadian army can bypass basic training and/or receive advanced rank upon enlisting?

BenFG said:
Does anyone know if someone with prior military service applying for the Canadian army can bypass basic training and/or receive advanced rank upon enlisting?

These discussions may be of interest to you.

Will the Canadian Armed Forces count time served in the US Army?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108238.0

Will my time in the U.S. Army count for anything?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18494/post-914640.html#msg914640
Reply #305

Appreciate the response, answer seems to be a "no" with the exception of some speciality schools.

Ben,  do you have prior service in the US Military?  I'm curious because in 2011, you were asking questions regarding joining as Signaller in the Canadian Army. As well, going off info you posted, you would be 19 or 20 right now.

20 as of yesterday. I picked a bad time to try and join the forces, after 2+ years of trying to go combat arms with the forces. I was lucky enough to get a TACP contract with the USAF. I'm currently 5 months into my pipeline.  I did this in the hopes of making myself more marketable to the forces when I reapply after my 4 year stint.

I'm assuming you are an American citizen? Are you/were you a dual Canadian/US citizen?

So, you joined the USAF in the hopes of making yourself a better candidate for the Canadian Forces?

Also,  because you were asking about JTACs in the CF; you are aware that you may not be a JTAC at the end of a 4 year TACP contract? No doubt, a TACP/ROMAD will get some great experience and training in their first 4 years. However, JTAC qualification may or may not be something you get in that time frame.

I am indeed a U.S citizen.  I joined the USAF for a multitude of reasons, mainly to be an operator regardless of the flag on my shoulder. I love both my countries but I had to pursue the opportunity presented to me. I wanted a chance to deploy at a younger age and get operational experience rather then go  to college and drink away my 20s.

Although not guaranteed it is possible to get my jtac quals before my enlistment is up, fingers crossed I don't get hurt or caught up with the law. With the war winding down it's mostly a waiting game until I make SrA to get a school slot.

On a side note they are trying to put JTAC and JFO into the pipeline to expedite the wait.

Back