• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces.ca

Anyone notice anymore problems with the Forces website? It hasn't been working for myself for over a month or so now. My girlfriend just tonight was able to look up RMS Clerks for me on their website but I was unable to see the link she sent me  ??? 

Same, at the moment it is down for myself as well. Although it was back working yesterday as I was looking through to see if they updated the "In need jobs" but it looked like the same as before it went down.  ::)

I just checked it, and it seems to be working fine (both the main site, and recruiting).

It's still down for me. I'm not very technical - is there anything I can do to fix this? I've cleared cookies, cache etc. Still nothing. Is it time for a new computer? :-\

Wilshire Blvd. said:
It's still down for me. I'm not very technical - is there anything I can do to fix this? I've cleared cookies, cache etc. Still nothing. Is it time for a new computer? :-\

Does this link work?  http://131.137.250.121

Occam said:

Occam, that link works. I can get into the 'National Defence and Canadian Forces' page from that link, but when I try to get into the recruiting page, an error that says 'The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading' is displayed. If I knew what that meant, I may be able to fix it on my own, haha.

I run into this problem as well sometimes.  I do get the server error message occasionally but I just tried and got into the site just fine.  Hit and miss. 

Wilshire Blvd. said:
Occam, that link works. I can get into the 'National Defence and Canadian Forces' page from that link, but when I try to get into the recruiting page, an error that says 'The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading' is displayed. If I knew what that meant, I may be able to fix it on my own, haha.

It would appear that your DNS server is having issues.  Using the plain language "www.forces.gc.ca", you're not having any luck because you have to use DNS to resolve that to an IP address.  If you use a direct link (131.137.250.121) to the IP address like I gave you (removing the need for the DNS service), you're successful.  You're able to get to the Forces' main page, because it is on the same network as the IP address I gave you.  The Recruiting website is on a different network (208.85.114.196), so your computer has to consult DNS to find it - and it's not being successful. 

Just out of curiosity, what DNS addresses are you using? (follow the instructions here if you don't know how to find out using XP/Vista/Win 7).  Don't list any of the other information, such as your IP address.

Bear in mind that if the IP address listed points to your home router, then your router is probably configured with your DNS settings and you'd have to log into that to find out its DNS settings.  Also, what ISP are you using?

My ISP doesn't have very reliable DNS services, so I use OpenDNS.  There is a free service that you can register for, but truth be told you don't even need to register and can just use the DNS server addresses at the bottom right corner of the main page for OpenDNS, replacing the DNS addresses you're currently using.  I have those settings in my router, and I have all of my home network PCs pointing towards the router for DNS server information.

Occam said:
It would appear that your DNS server is having issues.  Using the plain language "www.forces.gc.ca", you're not having any luck because you have to use DNS to resolve that to an IP address.  If you use a direct link (131.137.250.121) to the IP address like I gave you (removing the need for the DNS service), you're successful.  You're able to get to the Forces' main page, because it is on the same network as the IP address I gave you.  The Recruiting website is on a different network (208.85.114.196), so your computer has to consult DNS to find it - and it's not being successful. 

Just out of curiosity, what DNS addresses are you using? (follow the instructions here if you don't know how to find out using XP/Vista/Win 7).  Don't list any of the other information, such as your IP address.

Bear in mind that if the IP address listed points to your home router, then your router is probably configured with your DNS settings and you'd have to log into that to find out its DNS settings.  Also, what ISP are you using?

My ISP doesn't have very reliable DNS services, so I use OpenDNS.  There is a free service that you can register for, but truth be told you don't even need to register and can just use the DNS server addresses at the bottom right corner of the main page for OpenDNS, replacing the DNS addresses you're currently using.  I have those settings in my router, and I have all of my home network PCs pointing towards the router for DNS server information.

PM inbound.

This is not a DNS issue, I have been having this issue on and off for the past few weeks. Same issue on multiple computers and multiple networks.

The IP for forces.ca is 208.85.114.196 which I have verified on my local machine as well as online DNS tools. This is a server issue on the recruiting site, could be one server on the cluster having issues which is why it is random and/or only affecting certain people.

That being said it does work at times, and likely working at the recruiting centre so may have to go in and do everything in person. Stop trying to fix it, because it is NOT on user end.

Back