• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Finally did it: 5 in 25

I've been running ever since I applied.

So far I can usually do my 2.4 in about 9:40, but it has a bit of down hill that shaves my time, So from now on I'm going to go the reverse of the route to make it harder. My best 5 k is just under 22 minutes. I always sprint at the end, it's the only way to go.  ;) I'm in fitness class (running 2-3x per week) and usually finish a few minutes ahead of the pack. I wouldn't strike people as the running type, and trust me, its taken work considering what i was like to start with physically. I want to do 10 in 40 minutes before my BMQ starts in February...

EDIT: just did a  6km run i in 24:58..at least I'm noticing an improvement.

Congrats to all of you trying to better your fitness, and best of luck!

I find running very easy but thats because Im skinny and never smoked/ did drugs in my life. But yah congratz.

Congrats, Ex!

I hate running...I really do, but I do a 10k around 48-50 mins.  I followed John Stanton's (founder of the Running Room) training to progressively build aerobic base, then build endurance, then finish off by building speed.  I highly recommend his book on running....as well as going to a Running Room for advice/gear.  A small piece of advice...DON'T SCRIMP on shoes!!!  Think of them as investments in your body's health (esp. knees/shins) and put the money into a properly fitted and appropriately designed shoe for your foot type and running style.

G2G

Good job! keep at it and it will only get better.  I like to run steep hills for a speed workout...well, not "like to", but it works.  I don't run very often, but the last time i did 10k in 45 minutes, including my quick cool down.  When I first ran the 2.4k for the recruiting process, I could only do it in close to 10 min, now i've broken 9 minutes.  It just takes a lot of PT, but not too hard or you'll destroy your knees.  And don't just stick to running either, your knees will thank you if you don't.

McFarlane said:
Good job! keep at it and it will only get better.  I like to run steep hills for a speed workout...well, not "like to", but it works.  I don't run very often, but the last time i did 10k in 45 minutes, including my quick cool down.  When I first ran the 2.4k for the recruiting process, I could only do it in close to 10 min, now i've broken 9 minutes.  It just takes a lot of PT, but not too hard or you'll destroy your knees.  And don't just stick to running either, your knees will thank you if you don't.

Nicely done...I might have to pm you!  :salute:

McFarlane said:
I like to run steep hills for a speed workout...well, not "like to", but it works.

"Not like to" is an understatement. Started hill training week and a half ago. I'm sucking wind so hard halfway up, I think the vacuum I create ahead of me is helping suck me up the hill  ;D

Back