• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Finally did it: 5 in 25

exsemjingo

Inactive
Reaction score
I was very proud of myself today when I ran 6.4 km in 31 minutes.   :D
Sometimes I time my runs, sometimes not, and I thought that I was slower than this on average.
It took me 3 months of running 2-3 times a week, 5-6 km at a time to reach this point.
Does anyone else feel like sharing?

Good job.  It feels great doesn't it!

Now, like myself and every other runnerI know (the obsessive compulsive freaks that we are), undboubtedly you have set a target for when you expect to do 5 in 22?

When I first started running, I bought my self new socks every time I reached one of my bench marks. I still do.  Next one -- qualify for the Boston Marathon!  These socks better be made outta gold!

I hadnt had a timed run in months. Then my parents needed one person to help run a 4x5km relay race. I ran a 19:56. Surprised the crap outa me, I was used to 22-24 minutes.

Awesome... it is amazing what a fresh set of legs will do when you aren't expecting it, isn't it!?

I've just started running again now that I'll finally made the time to do it again. I'm running 6km in about 30 minutes right now. 2.4km, in low 9s. Eventually I'd like to do the 2.4 in sub 8, but thats a month or two off. Right now I'm just focusing on being able to run at least 10km in a respectable time and then I'll go from there.

I just got a new pair of running shoes and its amazing the difference it makes. No more lower back pain. :D

*edit - typo fixed, 10km not 10min*

exsemjingo said:
I was very proud of myself today when I ran 6.4 km in 31 minutes.   :D
Sometimes I time my runs, sometimes not, and I thought that I was slower than this on average.
It took me 3 months of running 2-3 times a week, 5-6 km at a time to reach this point.
Does anyone else feel like sharing?

how fast were you when you started?
I couldnt do anything more than walk 4 km in 1 hour 3-4 months ago, and now i am doing 3.5 km in 1/2 hour walking and running alternating. Working my way up to a 5k in 30

Do you do these times on a treadmill or are you using a stopwatch outdoors, or do you use an indoor track?

derael said:
...2.4km, in low 9s. Eventually I'd like to do the 2.4 in sub8...
Wow, Superman. What is your secret?
My best 2.4km was 10:00:13. Now I generally get it done in about 10:12-10:15. And I thought that that was good!

I guess the same secret that I should expect to read: PT, PT, PT! Then, when you're done PT, MORE PT!!

As for exsemjingo, congrats! Nothing like reaching your goals. Just watch how great it is when you start to surpass them :)

*Milnet.ca staff edit for site policy*

Wow, I'm suddenly proud of my 5 km in under 17 minutes since my last race. Three guys beat me, but oh well. Keep up the good work boys, you're making me look good. :D

When I started 3 months ago, I was running 3km in nearly 30 minutes, or 5 in 50.  I would not focus on leg speed and breathing, but on the pain.  I'd think 'I hate running' and 'do I really want to be in the army?'
Next step was ignoring the pain, then coming to have less pain.
As far as location, I run outdoors on flat land.  Sometimes on smooth pavement, sometimes on rough ground.

Jonsey said:
Do you do these times on a treadmill or are you using a stopwatch outdoors, or do you use an indoor track?

For myself, its all done outside on paved roads in a rural area(Strathcona Country, Alberta). All my runs are timed with a stopwatch and all distances I measure with my vehicle beforehand.

Man, I envy all of you.
I did 2.4 in 14 minutes and never really attempted to do 5k by myself.
Any tips for a beginner?

Keep running, don't over do it, make sure you have good runners(I recommend a visit to the running room).  Eventually the runs will get easier and easier. Theres a lot more advice here on the forums, so do a search and you'll find a lot of stuff.

How did you get in if you could not meet the 2.4km standard?
But anyway, remember to do your stretching, warm-up before beginning in earnest, and get used to jogging before working on propper running.
Also stay hydrated, and don't be afraid to take off your shirt if you get hot, which you will.

Lingling said:
Any tips for a beginner?

The best advice I ever got , (other then to keep at it) was to deliberatly run slower then I thought I could run at first. Work on distance at first, and not speed. This helps adjust the body to running, and builds an fitness base. Once I started doing that, my mental attitude about runs changed for the better. I probably could have got to my 2.4 standard faster, if I had pushed for the speed but by following this advice I found I really liked running a lot more and I avoided injury. For a real out of shape newb, the 10/1 running method is a good way to start, too.

I'm running 5k in 29min right now, and doing my 2.4's in 13:15 mins, better then the minimums for my age but not superior standard - yet. I've also just started running the occasional 8 k. This from a 46 yr old guy who would wheeze after two blocks not that long ago. Looking to get to at least 5 in 25. Won't be long now.

Rice0031 said:
Wow, Superman. What is your secret?
My best 2.4km was 10:00:13. Now I generally get it done in about 10:12-10:15. And I thought that that was good!

I guess the same secret that I should expect to read: PT, PT, PT! Then, when you're done PT, MORE PT!!

As for exsemjingo, congrats! Nothing like reaching your goals. Just watch how great it is when you start to surpass them :)

Actually, the secret isn't more PT, it's smarter PT.  In order to get faster, you have to train faster.  So, instead of adding too many more miles, once you have a reasonable training base, add one speed workout per week.  (I can't believe I just recommended speed workouts to anybody.  I hate them so much!)

x-grunt said:
The best advice I ever got , (other then to keep at it) was to deliberatly run slower then I thought I could run at first. Work on distance at first, and not speed. This helps adjust the body to running, and builds an fitness base. Once I started doing that, my mental attitude about runs changed for the better. I probably could have got to my 2.4 standard faster, if I had pushed for the speed but by following this advice I found I really liked running a lot more and I avoided injury. For a real out of shape newb, the 10/1 running method is a good way to start, too.

I'm running 5k in 29min right now, and doing my 2.4's in 13:15 mins, better then the minimums for my age but not superior standard - yet. I've also just started running the occasional 8 k. This from a 46 yr old guy who would wheeze after two blocks not that long ago. Looking to get to at least 5 in 25. Won't be long now.

Well done, x grunt.  keep up the good work.

scoutfinch said:
Actually, the secret isn't more PT, it's smarter PT.  In order to get faster, you have to train faster.  So, instead of adding too many more miles, once you have a reasonable training base, add one speed workout per week.  (I can't believe I just recommended speed workouts to anybody.  I hate them so much!)
Yea, what she said ;)

Here's what I do for my speed work outs: Wind sprints. They are great, but they are tough. I live in a suburban area. So I will start off with a decent jogging/running pace. Then, I will pick two street lights on the same side of the street I am running on, and sprint the distance between them. Then return to normal jogging speed for 2x that distance. Then repeat. The street lights make really good distance markers, I find.
Once you improve at them, instead of running the distance of just 1 street light interval, do two. Etc.
...Alternatively, use the search function because I know there is a really good thread regarding this subject.

I just thought i would toss up a caution. A trap i got caught in once and messed up my knees (years ago). I had injured my knee in sports and had been recovering, started doing light runs, and it felt good. Typically i try to push the limits, but i had been advised to take it slow. There was a day that I felt that i could run forever, and was kind of caught up in the moment, so i blasted on for a while, satisfied that i had recovered. However, about .5km of really intensive running, i wrecked my knee again, and was back on the couch for a few weeks after limping home.

Rule of thumb, take your time if you do end up injuring yourself. re-injury will only slow you down. Even after it feels good, give yourself a little more time before stressing the body to the max. Just my thoughts. Im not a doctor, nor a marathon runner. so take the free advice for what its worth./

+1 to what Baudspeed said. He's absolutely right, and I know it first hand.

Back