• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

Patrick H. said:
A thin red line was a great movie, IMHO. I'm a fan of the older war movies like A Bridge Too Far, The Iron Cross, Apocolypse Now, etc... the new movies focused too much on propaganda and bloodshed.

Chers

A Bridge Too Far was that olie on Arnhem? Predominantly British Forces, if so...very good movie. Apocalypse Now is Phenominal.

Yeah, I think it was the one with Gene Hackman.

Remember Casualties of War, or Platoon... some classic Vietnam movies..

Tears of the Sun = unbelievable. i could watch it over and over.

Crimson Tide is up there too.

We Were Soldiers was a great movie.
Tears of The Sun was fantastic
I also agree with someone else I also like the older movies A Bridge Too Far etc.

We Were Soldiers was okay... I think it was a bit melodramatic. They also cut off a major part of the battle, after the main fight they were ambushed again while on patrol in the jungle with heavy casualties. But... who'd want to show their own country getting their ass served to them?  ::)

armyrules said:
We Were Soldiers was a great movie.
Tears of The Sun was fantastic
I also agree with someone else I also like the older movies A Bridge Too Far etc.

how could i forget We Were Soldiers? haha.... my uncle gave me the DVD as a gift and I've watched it like.. four times. Mel Gibson was great in that movie.

The Longest Day, A Bridge too Far and The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, A Bridge Too Far, Band of Brothers (not a movie, but really well done), The Hill, and that one wiht Colin Farrel before he was super famous. It was kinda different. Was it Tigerland?

All you war movie fans should add "Tae Guk Gui" to your list.

I recently watched and and made a post about it here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28258.0.html

I watched almost all the movies mentioned here, and I suspect you guys will love this movie.

Pieman said:
All you war movie fans should add "Tae Guk Gui" to your list.

I recently watched and and made a post about it here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28258.0.html

I watched almost all the movies mentioned here, and I suspect you guys will love this movie.

I saw a trailer the other day and it is definitely on my list.

Yup Tigerland it was. The first DVD I ever purchased was Platoon. I have the Band of Brothers boxset DVD's. I liked Saving Private Ryan, A Bridge Too Far, All Quite On The Western Front, The Guns Of Navarone, The Dirty Dozen, The Thin Red Line and The Great Escape. Of Note, "All Quite On the Western Front" is about the futility of war but is very powerfull, may knock the I'm going to be a war hero bit out of some people, just well done.

How can we forget The Dirty Dozen?! LOL, That is a great movie.

Enemy at the Gates was half-decent, though always with the love stories.  :boring:

I thought the All Quiet on the Western Front novel was one of the most moving stories of war I've ever read.

Zulu - Definitley an older one but still great starring Michael Caine

"On the January 22nd 1879 the British Army suffers one of it's worst defeats when Zulu forces massacre 1,500 of its troops. A short time after the main battle a Zulu force numbering in excess of 4000 warriors advances on a British supply dump guarded by 139 Welsh infantrymen. The film concentrates on this bloody 12 hour battle."

Band of Brothers, Flight Of The Intruder, Saving Private Ryan, Hamburger Hill, Gettysburg (ok not modern day, but a great movie!)

cheers

PV

Re: All Quiet. Yeah, almost forgot about that one. Excellent movie and an even better book (By Erich Maria Remarque for those that are interested). Very moving.

Re: The Beast. Awesome movie.

I watched Zulu for the first time in Wainwright on my basic in that crappy theatre. It was like a friggin sauna in there, but still a good movie.

Porkchop Hill is another good one.

Caesar said:
I watched Zulu for the first time in Wainwright on my basic in that crappy theatre. It was like a friggin sauna in there, but still a good movie.

If its the same crappy theatre, and it probably is, I remember watching the Summer of '42 there during the summer of  '74.    Not such a great movie but what makes it memorable was the very vocal advice and encouragement Hermy, the movie's hero, received from an audience  composed of entirely of Canadian soldiers,  as he experienced his sexual awakening.  ;D ;D ;D

Tae Guk Gui is a really good movie, not many movies are done like that, especially about the Korean war.

One of the best films I've seen is Stalingrad. It is entirely in German with subtitles and obviously enough cover the whole of the battle from two buddies in the thick of it. Very brutal for when it was made, not for the violence, which there is lots, but just for the amount of detail put into it. In my opinion it rivals Saving Private Ryan.

Full Metal Jacket, Band of Brothers, Black Hawk Down, Gettysburg/Gods and Generals, Tigerland, Zulu, the Stanley Kubrick with Kirk Douglas in WW1 France... all great movies.

BTW, I think the action where the Zulu's surrounded the medical/supply depo was called Rourke's Drift, but not 100% sure.

Joe.

On the subject of German war movies, another great one was Das Boot...why limit ourselves to just the army right?   ;)

"The Boat" is the story of the crew of one of the thousands of U-boats deployed by the Germans in World War II. Subject to countless hours of claustrophobic confinement and unending assault by enemy ships, the crew struggles for survival.

Joe_McSweeney said:
BTW, I think the action where the Zulu's surrounded the medical/supply depo was called Rourke's Drift, but not 100% sure.

Joe.
Not sure if this is what you meant but the actual location was called Rourke's Drift, the action/tactic they used against the brits was something along the lines of a pincer movement described as the horns of a buffalo, can't remember exactly the terminology used though.

cheers,
ryan.

Joe_McSweeney said:
... the Stanley Kubrick with Kirk Douglas in WW1 France... all great movies...

Paths of Glory.

Excellent movie. The ending was especially moving, and very powerful. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Couple other fantastic modern war movies no-one has mentioned...

The Great Escape

No Man's Land

Back