• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

Ya Lt.Spears is my hero, that was an awesome scene. "the amazing part was that after he made contact with first platoon.....he came back" or something to that effect, whatever the guy said made it seem even cooler.

Four Feathers was a pretty decent movie I thought. But I am a total sucker for good cinematography, beautiful locations, and elaborate costumes. The story may or may not please you, but I don‘t think there was really anything to dislike about that movie.

Muskrat, which version? It‘s been filmed about three times. The first in the 1930‘s again in the 1970‘s and then the one a couple of years ago.

Just kidding I know you probaly meant the last one. Funny though even without CGI the original is actually the best. Hordes of extras must have cost less back then.

I would like to see, a Canadian Mini Ser. Dieppe was go, but a movie on the 1st Can Para, a Multi unit one on Ortona, Normandy, etc. I wouldn‘t mined being in the first one, as a reenactor.HAHA. In BoB, they hired reenactors for many of the parts. There would be many volunteers for that.

Cross of Iron
The Beast
The Bridge
Stalingrad
The Hill (not really about combat but a good story anyways)
Breaker Morant (Rule .303!!!!)
Coup D‘Etat
Odd Angry Shot
No Man‘s Land

I think a movie about Canadians in Korea would be very interesting. And it would come out at just right time as focus is shifting from WW2 to Korea as the number of WW2 vets decreases. And lets face it Korean war vets, have pretty much been forgotten. I don‘t think the funds are there for a mini-series, but a good two hour movie about one battle or one from one person‘s point of view would work well.

Finally,
Thanks MG I was wondering when someone would mention The Odd Angry Shot, and Breaker Morant. Both must sees, as are The Hill and The Bridge. Nice to see someone else checks somewhere besides the new release shelf at Blockbuster.

One show I‘m surprised hasn‘t been mentioned is "84 Charlie MoPic". During the Vietnam war, a ‘Lessons Learned‘ film crew heads out into the boonies following a four man LRRP. All shot through the eye of the camera man, and exceptionally well done with regards to tactics, fieldcraft, and patrolling procedure.

Battle Stripes was without question one of my favourite series - one of those rare shows that stops me from cancelling my cable! Loved some of the jackings - I felt like I was in trouble just watching! If only we could force senior brass and some of the PC weenies to watch that while shouting "THIS IS WHAT HELPS MAKE COMPETENT EFFECTIVE SOLDIERS!!" at them repeatedly. We could also point out that although some people had their feelings hurt, no fatalities resulted from it.

I have to disagree 84 C-Mopic wasn‘t all that good of a movie so many errors on so many levels,and bad acting as well.

Battle Stripes was an excellent series,I wish my own 6B was like that,with reference to the live fire exercises I mean ,everything else was pretty much about the same... belt fed rooster is the same world around.

If someone else listed it - I missed it. I liked "Gallipoli"

Yeah Muskrat, another good one. What is it about the Australians that they continually turn out good military movies and TV series?

Mini Series:
ANZACS The War Down Under
1915 (Gallipoli)

Movies:
Gallipoli
The Odd Angry Shot
The Light Horsemen
Breaker Morant

It probably goes hand in hand with the society‘s overall respect for the military heritage in that country, compare with say another similar sized commonwealth country which shall remain nameless.

My favorite War/Military Movies.

In no particular order:
-Blackhawk Down
-Saving Private Ryan
-The Wild Geese
-The Dogs of War
-The Guns Of Navarone
-Apocolypse Now
-Platoon
-The Siege of Fire Base Gloria
-Patton
-PT-109
-Rough Riders
-Peacekeepers
-Heartbreak Ridge

Favorite War/Military TV Shows:
-Rat Patrol
-Tour of Duty (the older shows)
-Soldier of Fortune Inc. (the original series)
-Combat

SKBY.

Although it wasn‘t a war movie like saving private ryan style, I like

"Dr. Strangelove: or how i learned to stop worrying and love the bomb"

Good movie, the fighting scenes looked pretty nice too.

"When Trumpets Fade" (1998), haven‘t seen this one mentioned yet, I can‘t be the only one here who has seen it. It‘s about Hurtigen Forest, a collective Allied nightmare. If you haven‘t seen it, watch it. It came out before Band of Brothers but it seems to show the same type of endless grind of WW2. I looked it up and it was made as an HBO tv movie just before Saving Private Ryan came out. Watch for the "platoonless" Lt. You‘ll know what I mean when you see him. Some WW2 buffs may question the historical accuracy of it or the acting, but at the very least you have to respect the type of mood that the directors created.

A few excellent films that I haven‘t seen mentioned yet, in no particular order:

Harrison‘s Flowers
The Big Red One
Savior
Braveheart
The Last of the Mohicans (the one with Daniel Day-Lewis)

i saw when trumpets fade, i just dont remember it well.

I'd just like to know everyones 3 favourite war movies mine are
1)Band Of Brothers
2)Platoon
3)Victory From Above

Just wondering what movies you all like the best, old or new I guess!?

Mine would have to be "Black Hawk Down" from what i have seen...

I watched Thin Red Line the other day, definatly a nice contrast to the "raw raw battle action" movies out there...

A thin red line was a great movie, IMHO. I'm a fan of the older war movies like A Bridge Too Far, The Iron Cross, Apocolypse Now, etc... the new movies focused too much on propaganda and bloodshed.

Chers

Back