• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fat troops on the street....

Just a question here, Infanteer:

I‘m not disagreeing that those who are not fit should not be let in.

I do wonder, though, where the money is going to come from to implement your PT reviews? The logistics of it all - the infrastructure, the paperwork, the exemptions - cost a fortune.

Somehow I think that NDHQ will rather keep fuel in the Hornets than spend money on this.

As for the USMC... well, they have a bigger budget than we do.

Sometimes you have to respond with less. It would be nice if everyone in the CF was top shape (including my branch), but let‘s look for realistic solutions.

-R.

Firstly thats the kind of thinking that eventually leads any kind of revamping of the Forces PT into the toilet. Secondly they would‘t fund something like this not because they need the money for something else. They wouldn‘t do it because their fat rear ends would not be able to pass the tests thats why.

And to QY RANG 2799, we have already mentioned those who are overweight because of things like genetics et al (please THOROUGHLY read the whole topic). However using the "genetics" excuse does not fly, when the counter staff at McDonalds know you by face, and all you eat are Big Macs and fries. As for respecting them even though they are a walking heart attack. For myself personally (and I suspect quite a few others around here), You can not respect someone, if they have no respect for themselves.

For a good solution to the problem of getting people in the army to slim down (amongst other very relevant topics of interest to leadership amongst NCOs), read the book THREE METER ZONE by US Army Sgt-Maj Pendry.

I have discussed this book in the Book Reviews section. The advice is great stuff. At first it sounds a bit like learning how to suck eggs, a lot of it is "if the rules say this, then follow the rules," type stuff. But for the most part, it is common sense advice that we could all use at some point or another.

Pendry hammers in the message that in the army, the mission comes first, and that the mission is accomplished through ensuring good morale, motivation and skill, regardless of the task. Whether it‘s combat arms or administrative, support stuff, Pendry takes a no-nonsense approach to all aspects of leadership at the "other ranks" level.

I would offer snippets of passages, but I‘ve packed the book away in preparation for moving soon!

But honestly, check out the book.. everyone wearing green should read it.

I do wonder, though, where the money is going to come from to implement your PT reviews? The logistics of it all - the infrastructure, the paperwork, the exemptions - cost a fortune.
The money would come from the savings made from releasing all those physically unable to do their job.

Seriously though, I would hope that everyone would shape up to meet the minimum required fitness standard (whatever it was set at). Losing trained personal hurts. I get paid to hump support weapons and fill up a trench, not to design policy, so I‘m in no place to give a good answer to your question. I do know that I‘d rather spend money on ensuring the forces were fit to fight than see the cost in blood for our failure to do so.

Wow all i can say is : LOL I‘m probably going to head to the FFL after i heal up from my Car accident.

Shouldn‘t we as Canadians be as proud as we can of our troops?? This has seriously disgusted me. How can we allow things such as this in our army. *laugh*

No offence to the brave and honourable soldiers and troops in the Canadian army. I think the overweight percentage is slim to none in CDN army, (hopefully)

I was once riding the TTC and i noticed a very and i mean very fat guy, he looked double the size of the people on the pictures. I asked him "Dude, WTF??" He didn‘t answer so that was our whole conversation. All i can think of is WHY??

P.S

Sorry for going off topic a little but i am seriously disgusted by our army right now, no offence to the rest of you.

Originally posted by Don Kon:
[qb] Wow all i can say is : LOL (embarrased to even think of joining the cdn army now) I‘m probably going to head to the French Foreign Legion after i heal up from my Car accident.

Also can anyone tell me why would Canada let the army be downsized so much?? Shouldn‘t we as Canadians be as proud as we can of our troops?? This is the second thing that seriously disgusted me and the first thing was the army‘s requirments : 19 push-ups?? Comon what the ****?? 6 pull-ups?? wtf i can do that with one finger. 19 situps - *laugh*

No offence to the brave and honourable soldiers and troops in the Canadian army. I think the overweight percentage is slim to none in CDN army, (hopefully)

I was once riding the TTC and i noticed a very and i mean very fat guy, he looked double the size of the people on the pictures. I asked him "Dude, WTF??" He didn‘t answer so that was our whole conversation. All i can think of is WHY??

P.S

Sorry for going off topic a little but i am seriously disgusted by our army right now, no offence to the rest of you. [/qb]
Well, thanks for doing all you can to help. Your country and the Army appreciate it. Enjoy your stay in the Legion. If their quota of precocious snot-noses isn‘t filled, you ought to do well.

don kon,
its true that the CF requirements are not set high. this is exactly what i was thinking when i first joined, although at the time, when i was a recruit, i could do only 20 or so push ups, and around 7 pull ups. however, after my infantry course, i could easily do 45 to 50 push ups, and over 12 pull ups. so then now when i think about it, i was only asked for the minimum requirements, because they knew that after my training i would be able to double my numbers. at this point, i can meet the requirements for the physical fitness test to join the navy seals, the SAS, and jtf2, when i look at the number of push ups, pull ups theyre asking for, im thinking " i can do that drunk", however does this mean that i could handle the seals or SAS training once i join? i dont think so. this is why a lot of people quit after they join. i remember on my infantry course only about 6 out of 10 finished the course. just because u can meet the requirements , it doesnt mean u will be able to take on the training easily. if you want i‘d be happy to take you with us on the 10 days field exercice we do every summer, im sure you‘ll be able to survive it, because u can do pull ups with one finger right?
PS u should be thinking on how to make ur own country‘s military improve and look better, instead of thinking of joining some foreign legion.

I agree with Slim, I imagine there‘ll be a better result if you ahve a fit guy in the Army booth. Because when civilians walk by and see well an obese person stadning there, their whole opinion on the Army could change, nad we sure dont‘ want the civilians htinkign that you‘re all obese!

My last reply was to what Slim said:
---------------------------------------
I was at the CNE this summer and, as usual, went to see what the army booth looked like or if there was anyone I knew there.

When I get there all I see is a HUGELY OVERWEIGHT person in cadpat standing there. Not a surprise that they weren‘t talking to anyone. I can see it now

"Come on down and join the world‘s fattest, most out-of-shape army!"
-----------------------------------------

I find this topic to be pretty pointless and a waste of space,but the thing you folks are missing is that mental toughness not physical fitness is what wins battles.I have lost count how many times I have seen super fit soldiers crash and burn during lengthy exercises or tough field problems.if you don‘t have it where it really counts,you will not accomplish the mission.take the Us Special forces in afghanistan and Iraq,they are not all supermen but they get the job done,hence their unofficial motto " Toughness not Fitness".

True, but if you are not fit to fight, you are going to crash and burn before everybody else does.

Yes but what exactly is "fit to fight"?That is a phrase that is impossible to qualify.

Here is a really good quote you may have heard me spout before:

The fittest soldier is not always the best, but the best soldier is always fit. :cool:

need we say more...
Actually yes.

You can‘t tell fitness by just looking at the person. Nor does the CF of CADPAT uniform help to hide the larger then a choir boys bum. I am one of those who look fat in uniform. At 5‘7 and 205, I am not exactly a picture of fitness, but anyone wanna try running with me. Our end tour Coopers test I did the 1.5 mile run in 9:30, 65 pu(and stopped cause thats as high as the points go), 50 su, 11 cu, and benched 110 kgs. Not bad for a 35 yo guy whose BMI is pushing 37. :warstory:

ALso,
In finding out how our merit board distributes points toward seating on the merit list I found under physical fitness the breakdown is like this....
completed BFT or exempt status on Express test...2 :D
completed express test.....1 :)
medically excused...0 :(
failed express test...-1 :rage:

We (fellow Mcpl and Sgts) saw this and will now ensure nobody will "complete" the BFT without actually meeting the standard (like is done because it is required for deployment). We have vowed if you are 2:26.01+, or can‘t do the firemans carry (most women try to skip it) you‘re doing an express test. Its our little way to get those unfit people. :evil:

Ok well so at the moment i can do 140 pressups,250 situps, so what your saying is when i join i will be able to do 280 pressups and 500 situps after bt? WOW if your saying i will double my strength that is more like it, i am joining for sure.

*Runs to recruiting center*

I think he meant that they knew he could double HIS numbers, his numbers being the minimum requirement.

Also, you‘re only given one minute to do the situps, so if you can do 250 situps in one minute, you‘re some kind of superstar.

Don Kon
OOOOOOO 140 PUs,OOOOOOO 250 SUs.I know a few Legionares. You better sort your a55 out now before you go. I was with them in Bosnia for 2 weeks. They don‘t stand for crap. You NCO can kick the crap out of you, your Cpl can put you on duty for fun etc etc.
But back to the Lard A55es. There are too many! I say PT them to death, and use them for pig food.

Dude i know how the legion is because my cousin was in the legion so you dont have to tell me ****, i know they kick your *** and they make you do pointless ****. Learned nothing new. Thanks for the pointless lesson though

ANyway im not here to argue just added my opinion about what i think about fat people in the CDN army. Although now i am thinking that the fat people are probably the ones doing office jobs or some other bs.

Back