• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

But whose peace loving father was quite happy with "guns in the streets".

Octcrisi_small.jpg

Chris Pook said:
But whose peace loving father was quite happy with "guns in the streets".

Octcrisi_small.jpg

I was one of those.  [:)

At the time I thought he was a good guy and had actually voted for him.

Then everything went dark. . . . very, very dark. . . . for a very, very long time. [:(

You've been warned.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
I was one of those.  [:)

At the time I thought he was a good guy and had actually voted for him.

Then everything went dark. . . . very, very dark. . . . for a very, very long time. [:(

You've been warned.

:cheers:

Some of us have been warning others for the past few years.  The WARNINGS are falling on deaf ears.    [:(

George Wallace said:
Some of us have been warning others for the past few years.  The WARNINGS are falling on deaf ears.    [:(
I know I didn't vote for him.

Unfortunately, the people who voted for JT (and at least in Ontario, were also sucked in by Wynne), as many voters seem to be these days, are very shortsighted and are drawn by sparkly things.  The media has turned JT into their little darling, with his great hair and selfies.  The millennials, especially, eat this crap up.  The US was the same way with Obama... very heavy on style, no substance. The both promised things like hope and change... but alas, it's all an illusion.

estoguy said:
Unfortunately, the people who voted for JT (and at least in Ontario, were also sucked in by Wynne), as many voters seem to be these days, are very shortsighted and are drawn by sparkly things.  The media has turned JT into their little darling, with his great hair and selfies.  The millennials, especially, eat this crap up.  The US was the same way with Obama... very heavy on style, no substance. The both promised things like hope and change... but alas, it's all an illusion.
As I told you recceguy guy,  close down the politics thread and this stuff starts to happen. Complete derails of other threads to the point where people don't even attempt to discuss the original topic.

Unless this post had something to do with the f35

People are just relishing the self-made mess JT is in. The next choice of fighter for Canada is going to be made on a purely political agenda. It is hard to separate the two at this point. The only surprise for me is that they didn't go European for their potential sole source. 

27 F35s for Denmark

Defense News

The Denmark F-35 Buy Goes Official
Aaron Mehta, Defense News 10:07 a.m. EDT June 9, 2016

WASHINGTON — Denmark has officially agreed to buy 27 F-35A joint strike fighters to replace its fleet of aging F-16s.

The selection puts an end to Denmark’s delayed fighter modernization decision that was in its early stages in 2010 before economic issues forced Copenhagen to hit the pause button. It was officially re-launched in 2013, now eyeing only 30 fighters instead of the planned 48.

The news was not unexpected, as the government in early May had announced its recommendation to buy 27 F-35A models at a rate of 20 billion Danish Kroner, or about $3 billion. However, competitors hoped questions about Danish price estimates might scuttle the F-35 buy.

(...SNIPPED)

Lockheed may move work  away from Canadian firms.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-lockheed-may-shift-f-35-fighter-work-away-from-canada-2016-6

BERLIN (Reuters) - Top U.S. weapons maker Lockheed Martin Corp is studying whether to shift work on its multibillion-dollar F-35 fighter jet away from Canadian firms given uncertainty about Ottawa's plans to buy the jet.

Royal Netherlands AF received their first two F-35s and showed them off last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaEM6ic7qo

It’s interesting to consider that the Dutch were likely best placed to take advantage of the Rafel as they are close to France, share the same currency and could cross train with the French, yet they went F-35.

Colin P said:
It’s interesting to consider that the Dutch were likely best placed to take advantage of the Rafel as they are close to France, share the same currency and could cross train with the French, yet they went F-35.

Well not that surprising,we use a lot of American "stuff"(Chinook,hercules,Apache)our airforce has a preference for American planes and copters,as for the weaponsystems(rockets,pods etc)

Karel Doorman said:
Well not that surprising,we use a lot of American "stuff"(Chinook,hercules,Apache)our airforce has a preference for American planes and copters,as for the weaponsystems(rockets,pods etc)

Looking at the CF as a whole, we shifted from a Euro dominant to an American dominant supply chain during the cold war, strategically it made sense, wouldn't want your supply chain cut off when the Russians came storming across Europe.

or the Germans, we got caught out when the UK could not provide us with ships, guns, tanks and aircraft we assumed we could get in early WWII. 

From the "wanna Way Back Machine" files ...
Former Conservative defence minister Peter MacKay says he regrets his government didn't move ahead to replace Canada's aging fighter jets.

MacKay says new planes are badly needed and the F-35 is the right choice.

The Tories had pegged the F-35s as the replacement for the existing CF-18s, but the process bogged down over costs and technical concerns ...
Woulda, coulda, shoulda ...

He did no such thing. He said we need the F-35, not we need the F-35 now because there's a magic capability gap.

PuckChaser said:
He did no such thing. He said we need the F-35, not we need the F-35 now because there's a magic capability gap.

It's not a magic gap - there is a gap.  They didn't get it done.  Unless we spend money to upgrade the hornet (another thing that they dragged their feet on - the project only started definition 18 months after they announced it) for a mere 4-5 years, we have a real problem.  I have no confidence in DND to get it done in time, or without significant capability loss.

I would rather the F-35, btw.

The super hornet will be fine.

Comd RCAF said there was no gap because the life extension was capable of keeping us going until 2025, as long as deliveries started before then. The Liberals are creating a gap by politically stopping the life extension so they can justify a sole source for an inferior aircraft. Super Hornet will be fine for 15 years, then we're back to square one. We need an aircraft we can fly for 30+, because that's how long it takes to squeeze blood out of the military procurement money stone. We're being set up for failure again, for purely partisan political promises.

jmt18325 said:
I have no confidence in DND to get it done in time, or without significant capability loss.
By DND, I assume you mean PWGSC, as directed by the sitting government?

Back