• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

Bankruptcy is a positive move towards getting your credit standing back. The CF doesn't want creditors calling your work, as you can generally understand why. So if you declare bankruptcy your creditors are in a way takin care of as long as you understand that once in the forces your personal financing can become military priority and you may be asked to make random reports of your bankruptcy payments in order to keep the finance geeks happy.

The military won't hesitate to garnish wages for bill payments no matter how unimportant you may think they are. They will consistently tell new recruits that the reputation of the forces has to remain strong within the community and its members can't maintain a negative and potentially a legal relationship between you and any creditor.

Apply and be honest with your interviewer. I had terrible credit when applying and was allowed to enter if agreement was signed by me to repair my finances with military advisors. They will help you too, but don't hide what they will obviously see.

Good luck , hoped I helped a little.
Mike the maritime medic

I may have misunderstood, but are you applying to the military or for a casual public service job?
There are people hired here who have had credit problems, and I know a full time civi DND employee who has claimed bankruptcy and is still working. In fact, I know of one who has declared bankruptcy and still manages a DA (or whatever it is called now).

The only time I have seen someone refused employment from DND for enhanced reliability is when the person in question had an old fraud charge. The government takes fraud very seriously.

Declaring bankruptcy is probably your best move at this stage, but remember in most cases, declaring bankruptcy will not negate your student loans. Make sure you speak to someone about it first, and good luck :)

muffin

I have to jump in and say that bankruptcy is not a positive step towards anything. Even orderly payment of debt or those credit proposals are better than filing bankruptcy. Plus filing bankruptcy can cost you a little chunk of change and it will not get rid of your student loans. You can usually work with your creditors before you end up in a collection agency or having to file bankruptcy. Ignoring the problem just makes it worse (not saying that anyone is doing this, just saying that working in collections for a little while I have seen people who just don't want to aknowledge their debt for years and they end up in a bigger mess than when they started). When dealing with student loans, you can usually pay something  and keep yourself out of the collection agency.

muffin said:
I may have misunderstood, but are you applying to the military or for a casual public service job?
There are people hired here who have had credit problems, and I know a full time civi DND employee who has claimed bankruptcy and is still working. In fact, I know of one who has declared bankruptcy and still manages a DA (or whatever it is called now).

The only time I have seen someone refused employment from DND for enhanced reliability is when the person in question had an old fraud charge. The government takes fraud very seriously.

I am with Muffin in that I am not sure if you are going civie or military. I actually just signed my approved Enhanced Reliability Clearance with DND in Ottawa this morning. (I am being deployed from another Federal Department to DND as a CS-02.) The CPL went over the forms with me and a credit check was not even selected as part of the clearance. Not sure if that helps...

Good luck.

Does the ERC actually check your high school file ? I've done some not so good stuff, but I've never had problems with the police or anything. Will that change something ?

I am not an expert, but it would help the experts if you could elaborate as to what you did, and what position and component you are applying for.

I've had 4 fights with other students and was caught after having drank a glass of wine before school ; all of that was 2 years ago, I haven't done anything bad since and I have never been suspended. I'm applying for Infantry, NCM.

That's it?  You were a kid, being a kid, move on and don't worry about it.

Brigada said:
I've had 4 fights with other students and was caught after having drank a glass of wine before school ; all of that was 2 years ago, I haven't done anything bad since and I have never been suspended. I'm applying for Infantry, NCM.

No one is perfect. Just be truthful, & show that you've matured.

If applying to the reserves and especially if applying to reserves intelligence, is it a problem if one of the references is not a Canadian citizen but instead a legal landed immigrant.  Also are the people in the references investigated in any way or just the applicant.  ???

Al1212 said:
If applying to the reserves and especially if applying to reserves intelligence, is it a problem if one of the references is not a Canadian citizen but instead a legal landed immigrant.  Also are the people in the references investigated in any way or just the applicant.   ???

SECTION M
- Character references must be colleagues, peers, and friends who have known you well for over three years and should be able to cover your non-work environment and activities.
- Character references are NOT to include relatives and MUST be residing in Canada.
- Faster processing is facilitated if references listed are in your geographic area.
- Neighbourhood reference is an individual who has known you for over six months preferably at your current address. If not, the individual has been a neighbour during the past five years.

The instructions don't say anything about references being Canadian citizens but it would be better.

Also are the people in the references investigated in any way or just the applicant.

No they ask for the information because it fills up the space on the form.  Shake your head.

HH

I passed my security clearance in during BMQ, got it back at the end of the course with a note that says ready for QC on it. Does that mean its getting processed? or is there something else i should do with it?

randyh81 said:
I passed my security clearance in during BMQ, got it back at the end of the course with a note that says ready for QC on it. Does that mean its getting processed? or is there something else i should do with it?

It means that it has been electronically submitted to DPM Sec 2 and it is in the queue for a Quality Check by them.

kincanucks said:
It means that it has been electronically submitted to DPM Sec 2 and it is in the queue for a Quality Check by them.

thank you, so is there anything else i have to do at my end

First of, i would like to thank the makers of this site for there commitment to help and inform those whom are not part of the forces yet. This is my situation..

I submitted my on-line application a month ago and received a call for my aptitude testing on The 29th of June. After successfully finishing the test we were handed back our applications and told to sign it and state our religion?
I am Muslim and am wondering if they accept Muslims in the army or are we considered a security threat? After handing in the application i was asked if it has been 10 continuous years that i have been living in Canada immediately prior to applying.

I came to Canada in 1993 when i was 6 years old from Lebanon and lived here until the age of 14 (2001) where i moved to Dubai because my mother moved there and i had no choice.I did not stay there for long(about 1 1/2) and came back at the age of 16 and have been here ever since.

They first gave me the pre sec clearance on steroids but after reading one of kinnakucs posts on they new rules that came into place, i went back to my local recruiting center and asked for the shorter version.They told me to hand it in and if everything goes well for me they wont send it to Ottawa.

If i understood well, a person will not undergo the long pre sec clearance if he has been living here since 16 or have travelled less then 180 days on each visit.

I really am interested in joining the infantry and hope i will not be rejected because of my religion or my name or because i had to go live with my mother in a country that has very good relations with Canada.

My question is how does the short security clearance work. They check if you have been indeed living in the addresses you provided for the last 5 years? If so how do they verify this information(just out of curiosity.

If someone can clarify the "after 16 rule ", it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Majid

As far as I know, your faith is no barrier to service.  I personally don't care if you worship Buddha, Yahweh, Odin, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  As long as I know you have my back, I will have yours.  Loyalty to Canada and your buddies is what counts, not which direction you face when you pray....Just my opinion, as usual.

I had a Muslim as a Coyote Driver in B Sqn and my Dentist was also Muslim; so yes Muslims can join the CF.  As for the rest of your concerns use SEARCH and find the answers.  I am now going to merge your question to the topic that you should have found in the first place.

Just to add my brief two cents, majidsabra, we had two Muslim officers with Recce Squadron in Afghanistan in 2004/5...  It's hardly a barrier and, given these trying times and the nature of our deployments, can be of considerable benefit to the CF.

First of all how old are you?

Secondly, I have explained the ERC (5 year check) and the pre-sec changes on this board and I am not about to repeat myself. Search and if you actually have a question that has not been answered then ask away.  No I am not going to explain to you how each part of either the ERC or the pre-sec is carried out.

Back