• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Engineering Officer

I understand that this question has probably been asked before, but I cannot find it on the forums. This is my first post on this site so please just link me to the other if it exists already.

Well, down to buisness. I am considering joining ROTP as an engineering officer, so I am wondering how the first years (and beyond) of being an engineering officer are like. I have asked many recruiters online how fast the ranks progress and what the difference between the ranks are, but they ussually send me a link that says "rank advancement is dependenton numurous factors, including but not limeded to years of service,performance, and second language proficiency."  I would just like a straigter answer to my question on ranks.

Also If you have any other imput on being an engineer officer, it would be much oblidged. Thank you Chimo!

I am wondering what the difference is between Recce and Ress engineers. I know that Recce is recon, but what is Ress? which one do most engineers get posted to, what does each one entail an engineer to do? which is more dangerous?
-Thanks
CHIMO!

Tuna said:
... they ussually send me a link that says "rank advancement is dependenton numurous factors, including but not limeded to years of service,performance, and second language proficiency."  I would just like a straigter answer to my question on ranks.
As much as you might not like it, this really is the best answer you can get.  If you are a top performer with a strong second language profile, then you might find your self quickly moving up the ladder after only the minimum time in each rank.  Conversely, if you are average without any second language profile then you can expect most of your peers (including those who might best be called weak) will quickly advance past you.

Other factors come into play as well.  If there is a higher or lower than usual attrition of personnel senior to you, then this will influence your rate of advance.  If the preferred manning level (PML) changes, then this may influence your rate of advance.  The choice to attend advanced training can have both positive and negative impacts on your advancement.

If you want to know the years that it will take to advance through each rank level, then your question cannot be answered except by a credible psychic.

Tuna said:
I am wondering what the difference is between Recce and Ress engineers. I know that Recce is recon, but what is Ress? which one do most engineers get posted to, what does each one entail an engineer to do? which is more dangerous?
Engr ress = engineer resources.

These are guys that maintain, transport and/or operate many forms of engineer stores and equipment.  The Ress Tp will usually provide bridge trains for crossing operations, hold and transport the regimental holdings of mines and explosives (M&E), operate regimental M&E caches, provide the Bde water purification capability, hold Combat Dive stores, hold defensive/fortification stores, etc.

As an Engineer (ie. the officer occupation analogous with the Cbt Engr) you can be posted as a Ress Tp Comd or a Recce Officer.  Not all regiments have adopted the idea of Recce Officers, so your first posting may very well determine such a job to be out of the possibilities.  At the same time, all regiments have only one Ress Tp Comd.

And is it the ress who deal with demolitions as well? Is a recce engineer similar to a recon marine in the USMC?

I know that there are light and mechanized engineer troops, but if I graduate as an officer, what are the chances that I get posted to either one? what criteria are  considered in the selection prosess?
Thanks
Chimo  :salute:

also I have heard captain for life? and that there is automatic progression to captain, is this true?

Tuna said:
And is it the ress who deal with demolitions as well?
All Engineers work with demolitions.  Most of this work is done in Field Troops and Field Squadrons.

Tuna said:
Is a recce engineer similar to a recon marine in the USMC?
No.  It is technical recce that may be done along side Armoured and Infantry Recce, or it may be done independantly.  It is done in order to gather technical information to support engineer and force mobility planning.

Tuna said:
I know that there are light and mechanized engineer troops, but if I graduate as an officer, what are the chances that I get posted to either one?
You will (most likely) be posted to a regiment.  Based on your performance on course, strenghts, weaknesses, any preferences that you state and course staff recomendations - the Commanding Officer will place you where you best fit in his regiment.

Hey, I am sorry to drag this on but what is the trade training like for engineer officers? How long is it? what skills will it help me build? more leadership, or more tech to relate to the sr. ncms? Am i correct when I say that the minimum term for ROTP is 4-5 years after graduation for engineers? thanks

The PRes BEOC Part 1 and 2 is 11 Mods so 22 weeks. Reg Force BEOC is 14 MODS so 28 weeks plus MOD 15 which is 5 weeks long.

and what skills would a new officer learn in these 35 weeks?

Some topics on BEOC:
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+&btnG=Search#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=site:army.ca+BEOC+&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=7ff7d408b5d36764&biw=1360&bih=590

They learn the fol... and I will not go into detail about what is contained within these PO's.

PO 001 .. Advise on the Employment, limitations,
Capabilities and Resources of Combat

PO 002 .. Plan Engineer Support Across the Full
Spectrum Of Operations

PO 003 .. Participate in Engineer Command,
Control, Communication and
Intelligence (C3I) Operations

PO 004 .. Conduct Engineer Command, Control,
Communication and Intelligence (C3I)
Operations

PO 005 .. Command Breaching Operations

PO 006 .. Conduct Urban Operations

PO 007 .. Advise on Ground Designation

PO 008 .. Command Route and Area Clearance
Operations

PO 009 .. Command Range Clearance Operations

PO 010 .. Conduct a NATO Engineer Route Recce

PO 011 .. Command Route Maintenance

PO 012 .. Command Engineer Support to Gap
Crossing Operations

PO 013 .. Plan Heavy Equipment Tasks

PO 014 .. Command Security Engineering
Operations

PO 015 .. Coordinate Search Operation Combat
Level

PO 016 .. Coordinate EOD Operations

PO 017 .. Command a Troop as Infantry in the
Defence and Transition

PO 018 .. Command a Troop as Infantry in the
Offence

PO 019 .. Participate in the Barrier Planning
Process

PO 020 .. Advise on General Engineering Support

PO 021 .. Participate in a Live Demolition Range

PO 022 .. Conduct Demolition Range Practices

PO 023 .. Conduct a CMD Range Practice

PO 024 .. Participate in Field Firing Ranges

PO 025 .. Conduct Field Firing Ranges

PO 026 .. Navigate Tactically Using GPS and CNR

PO 028 .. Conduct CSS Operations..

PO 029 .. Conduct Live Mine Training

PO 030 .. Command the Engineer Support to
Urban Operations

PO 031….Participate in Obstacle Emplacement

PO 032…. Command Convoy Operation

PO 033….Conduct personnel administration

PO 034…. Promote Military Engr Ethos

And finally, what noone will want to answer for me, is it a good career? would you have chosen differently thinking back on things?  :salute:

also, I know that it is better to get an engineering degree, but what are along the lines as acceptable for rotp applicants, can I choose which degree i want AFTER i get the job offer, depending on what I am doing
for instance, if I want Engineer, ACSO, and artillery, and I get engineer, I can choose engineering, but if I got artiller what if I wanted some other degree?

ORRRR if I am already accepted for rotp and get engineers, could I get some other kind of degree???
thanks
CHIMO!!! :army:

I think at this point the best option for you would be to speak with a Canadian Forces recruiter.

Please; if you wish to apply for ROTP, then take the time to practice your writing skills.  You will be required to demonstrate those skills when you apply, and the lack of such skills will be detrimental to your application.

Does anyone have any experience with construction management programs? 

I have been accepted and am shortly starting a Bachelor of Construction Management program at BCIT (http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/8800btech) to further my civilian career.  I am looking at joining on of the two engineering units to help pay and get more experience in the industry.

I don't feel bad about being a NCM, especially as the recruiters (just before telling me the units were closing for the summer) suggested I could qualify as semi-skilled.  But I am most interested in developing my leadership and management abilities. 

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here after reading a lot about joining the CF. I have started my application with the goal of being a reg force Engineering Officer. I am applying the DEO route (I graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering in April 2012). I have a few questions that I hope some guys (or gals) who have been through the process might be able to answer.

1. Would it be at all possible for me to get enrolled for the BMOQ course for the summer of 2012 or at least fall of 2012. I guess I am curious about other people's experiences with their application processes. The guy at the recruitment center just said it was possible but did not have very much information.

2. I was told that the contract for DEO engineering officers is 9 years. From what I have gathered, there is about 2 years of training for an engineering officer. Is this normally done consecutively or spaced out over something like 4 years with waiting in between? I am hoping someone can share their experience on how their training went.

3. I am also curious about people's experience with the second language training (ie. learning french). Are you actually just learning french all day, every day for seven months?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Back