• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drones, the Air Littoral, and the Looming Irrelevance of the USAF

So not being quite up on drone tech, how vulnerable are they to being detected by things like radar etc?
Depends on their size, how far off the ground they fly, and what they’re made of.

First, I think that person has an axe to grind against Naval Aviation. But that’s neither here nor there.

Second, carriers (and their air wings) aren’t just used to strike land-based things. It is a main goal to project power, but a carrier is also a huge floating base to do whatever - humanitarian assistance being one. Or just the “soft power” of a Carrier Strike Group off your coast. The AEW aircraft also extends the radar bubble of the task force, and while the big threat is the sub threat, having a bunch of Absalons isn’t going to change that calculus.

Also, each Tomahawk isn’t going to land back at the arsenal ship if the mission gets “turned off” for any number of reasons.

Upon further thought, that article reminds me of the “why have manned interceptors/fighters when BOMARC missiles can do the same thing?” Argument in the 50s/60s.

Depends on their size, how far off the ground they fly, and what they’re made of.

First, I think that person has an axe to grind against Naval Aviation. But that’s neither here nor there.

No doubt re the axe grinding.

Second, carriers (and their air wings) aren’t just used to strike land-based things. It is a main goal to project power, but a carrier is also a huge floating base to do whatever - humanitarian assistance being one. Or just the “soft power” of a Carrier Strike Group off your coast. The AEW aircraft also extends the radar bubble of the task force, and while the big threat is the sub threat, having a bunch of Absalons isn’t going to change that calculus.

Point.

Also, each Tomahawk isn’t going to land back at the arsenal ship if the mission gets “turned off” for any number of reasons.

Upon further thought, that article reminds me of the “why have manned interceptors/fighters when BOMARC missiles can do the same thing?” Argument in the 50s/60s.

I'll agree that it is the same argument. Having said that I will note that technology is weighting the scales differently now. Maybe not terminally but certainly differently.

Back