• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force major charged in firearms bust in Kingston, Petawawa

Perhaps we should just... Watch and shoot.
536c4d063ec1d36a0a97a0ee663ee835f3a23a383fd3e7854686e87304689a92_1.jpg

My point is it’s a crime with no violence and no damage to others.
It has damaged the reputation of the CAF, yet again. CAF members have been caught smuggling some pretty hairy stuff over the years and this will cause BSOs to focus more on them for a while.
I’m not disagreeing that it is a crime, my point is solely that I find it sad that the Government in Canada has the ability to criminalize sporting firearms without any legitimate justification.
A decision upheld by the Federal Court, I might add.

Many BSOs are firearms owners and sport shooters. One is an IPSC Grand Master and another a former Bisley Team member and two more are former CAFSAC champions. They may not support Trudeau's anti-gun agenda, but they support the Customs Act.

I know the guy. Shared a room with him and a range with him.

Amazing shooter.

One part of me is surprised. One part of me is not.

I will observe that by open source info, he moved to the US 5-ish years ago, and everything in those pictures was perfectly legal to own and use in Canada 5 years ago. There is paperwork necessary to legally move firearms across borders. I've done it to enable the movement of CAF weapons across international borders with this shooter using one of those weapons.

He wasn't involved in the paperwork side of that weapons movement, but he was aware that paperwork was required.

I do not know what the law currently says about a CAF member moving back to Canada after an OUTCAN posting with handguns that had previously been registered in Canada, but with the current OIC and handgun ban in play, I suspect there was no legal way for those to be imported.
(Note, there is a means to legally export and re-import handguns for competition purposes - a friend of mine is currently in the US at an IPSC match, and he's got his guns with him.)

As for the 'duplicate serial numbers' - that is something that could have been done as a warranty replacement for a damaged receiver with the old (damaged) receiver being retained so that both are present with the same SN. Or something like that.

I'll leave those thoughts, and not comment further as I am hoping that this is something where the paperwork just didn't follow properly, or something like that, and will remind everyone of the presumption of innocence, despite the court of public (and media) opinion.

NS

I’ve never had to do a cross border move of HG&E. I assume there’s customs paperwork. Is there anything in that paperwork that explicitly asks about firearms and ammunition?

I know the guy. Shared a room with him and a range with him.

Amazing shooter.

One part of me is surprised. One part of me is not.

I will observe that by open source info, he moved to the US 5-ish years ago, and everything in those pictures was perfectly legal to own and use in Canada 5 years ago. There is paperwork necessary to legally move firearms across borders. I've done it to enable the movement of CAF weapons across international borders with this shooter using one of those weapons.

He wasn't involved in the paperwork side of that weapons movement, but he was aware that paperwork was required.

I do not know what the law currently says about a CAF member moving back to Canada after an OUTCAN posting with handguns that had previously been registered in Canada, but with the current OIC and handgun ban in play, I suspect there was no legal way for those to be imported.
(Note, there is a means to legally export and re-import handguns for competition purposes - a friend of mine is currently in the US at an IPSC match, and he's got his guns with him.)

As for the 'duplicate serial numbers' - that is something that could have been done as a warranty replacement for a damaged receiver with the old (damaged) receiver being retained so that both are present with the same SN. Or something like that.

I'll leave those thoughts, and not comment further as I am hoping that this is something where the paperwork just didn't follow properly, or something like that, and will remind everyone of the presumption of innocence, despite the court of public (and media) opinion.

NS
Yes...

No thanks. I don't want to leave the Canada or the Maritimes to simply move into the light version.
But LL Bean!!!!! And Friendly's Ice Cream!!!!!

I’ve never had to do a cross border move of HG&E. I assume there’s customs paperwork. Is there anything in that paperwork that explicitly asks about firearms and ammunition?
Depends how it is done.

If it’s done by a 3rd Party then yes. Most movers won’t take Firearms or Ammunition (and will refer you to a broker).

If it’s done via the individual, no, it’s a verbal question at border, but for firearms you had best have the paperwork done and approved (and be prepared to present). Ammunition depends on quantity. I moved around 250,000 rds of ammunition when I emigrated to the USA, and CBP just waved it through as a one time move of F&E and not subject to taxes or permits (2009) *I have called ahead and asked what was required, and was told ‘welcome to freedoms bring whatever you want’ and got an email to that result as well.

When I cross the border these days I have done a 110% check of my vehicle, and often have my wife do a second check to ensure that no firearms or ammunition are in my vehicle, as I let my Canadian PAL lapse and don’t own any firearms in Canada anymore.
When I used to have a badge, and was crossing into Canada for personal reasons I would call ahead to the Border and via some friends in CBP, would lock my handgun up at the border to be retrieved when I returned to the US.

Personally I would never recommend driving firearms or ammunition across the border these days personally, the border is a legal minefield, and even the most minor paperwork issue can get one into some significant trouble. The vast majority of personnel in CBSA and CBP aren’t gun people and even uncontrolled parts can cause major hiccups that take both time and money to resolved even when one has done nothing wrong.

Handguns registered in Canada and temporarily exported before the ban/freeze can be re-imported after the ban/freeze with a import permit from GAC. If any of his handguns were not registered in Canada prior to the ban/freeze, then they cannot be imported except under a very limited set of exemptions, none of which he would qualify for.

Few clarification points
For Firearms manufacturers by a FFL duplication of serial numbers is illegal. If a manufacturer replaced a serial number they are required to destroy (or “X” mark*) the old receiver.

In the case of personally build firearms down here (think 80% lowers, 80% Glock frames etc) the individual as a non FFL holder is free to make whatever S/N they want - so one could have duplicates.

In the case of some firearms the upper and lower, and sometimes bolt, bolt carrier, (or frame/slide/barrel for pistols) are serialized the same, looking at what was shown in the photos I suspect the HK firearms where some of that issue (as HK requires the upper, lower, bolt and carrier to be serialized the same).

Additionally, depending on if the firearms are stored on some Bases, the base may have a marking requirement- I know some that require marking of uppers and bolt carriers for personal AR’s, as well as handguns having the slide and barrel to be marked the same as the frame, that all seems to be at the whim of the Provost Marshall on that Post.

* “X” marked receiver/frames, due to duplication prohibitions, some manufacturers will opt to birth a ‘new’ firearm with a X or other alphanumeric symbol on the old firearm, and manufacturer a new firearm with the old S/N, generally this is done for certain collectible firearms, when the user group has returned the old firearm for repair. The “new” X marked receiver is then sold commercially, while the user group gets a new firearm that keeps their property book the same. It’s generally a win/win for both parties — but while I included this for information purposes, I don’t see that it is relevant to the above situation.

The vast majority of personnel in CBSA and CBP aren’t gun people and even uncontrolled parts can cause major hiccups that take both time and money to resolved even when one has done nothing wrong.
The quality of firearms training for CBSA recruits has increased over the past few years. But, you nailed it, most are not "gun people". I don't know about USCBP, but CBSA is responsible for enforcing over 90 different acts and regulations at the border. Obviously, their training and experience is geared towards what gets enforced most often.

The quality of firearms training for CBSA recruits has increased over the past few years. But, you nailed it, most are not "gun people". I don't know about USCBP, but CBSA is responsible for enforcing over 90 different acts and regulations at the border. Obviously, their training and experience is geared towards what gets enforced most often.
Totally agree, and I don’t blame them, there is only so much training hours in the day.

A few years ago my father in law bought me a muzzleloader and powder in Maine. He declared it when he crossed the border.

The CBSA guy was confused and more concerned about the booze. He was really confused that it was a musket. And didn't give a hoot about the pound black powder either.

Just for comparison, most CAF folks aren't gun people either, infact many could probably be classified as anti gun folks.

Back