• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

1. Kid that got shot on the transit bus in Toronto...what do you think the outcome is going to be? I don't see majority saying that is someone's kid and the cops should be fired

ArmyRick said:
opcougar, care to back up your statement? Examples? Specifics?

opcougar said:
1. Kid that got shot on the transit bus in Toronto...what do you think the outcome is going to be? I don't see majority saying that is someone's kid and the cops should be fired

No what you see is people acting correctly and waiting for justice [whatever way it rolls] to be served by the courts.

opcougar said:
Is that why the cops end up on leave with pay, only to get their job back after another police body concludes that it was just? If what you say is really true, then perhaps majority should join demonstrations like "Black lives matter", and ask for racist cops to be fired.

This post suggests only white cops are racist.  That is racist against white cops.  Did you realize you are racist?

Racism is driven by power with the majority. In the town you live in, how many minority cops / firefighters / EMS are there? Oh, lets not claim they aren't applying for these jobs. A minority in any of those jobs, will be driven out / segregated by the majority

Eye In The Sky said:
This post suggests only white cops are racist.  That is racist against white cops.  Did you realize you are racist?

opcougar said:
Racism is driven by power with the majority. In the town you live in, how many minority cops / firefighters / EMS are there? Oh, lets not claim they aren't applying for these jobs. A minority in any of those jobs, will be driven out / segregated by the majority

So, you are suggesting that all EMS personnel are racist? That's a huge broad brush stroke.

Where's your evidence - proof- that's  the norm?

opcougar said:

Bullshit.

Lets just put it like this....people are afraid of the unknown, and will rather hire someone that looks like them, which is stupid really because that doesn't guarantee that the person that looks like you won't hurt you. I mean just look at the institution that is marriage. 1 in every 2 goes South

Hamish Seggie said:
So, you are suggesting that all EMS personnel are racist? That's a huge broad brush stroke.

Where's your evidence - proof- that's  the norm?

opcougar said:
Lets just put it like this....people are afraid of the unknown, and will rather hire someone that looks like them, which is stupid really because that doesn't guarantee that the person that looks like you won't hurt you. I mean just look at the institution that is marriage. 1 in every 2 goes South
Our new MND is a Sikh yet other than a few isolated idiots, we all, CAF members serving and retired, recognize him as one of our own.

opcougar said:

I prefer intelligence and competence over colour.

Sorry if I've ruined your day.....

Eye In The Sky said:
You are out to lunch and speaking for no one other than yourself.

He does seem to be stuck on the same channel doesn't he.

Opcougar, you should pay attention to a few important phrases in this - the bits about the blah blah ologist and the captain of your brain ship in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4dC56V4bM

BTW, about half the coppers in my town are minorities, and about a third of the EMS here are as well.

MM

opcougar said:
In the town you live in, how many minority cops / firefighters / EMS are there? Oh, lets not claim they aren't applying for these jobs. A minority in any of those jobs, will be driven out / segregated by the majority

Hamish Seggie said:
So, you are suggesting that all EMS personnel are racist?

That can't be possible, we took sensitivity training.  :)  All kidding aside, I've never heard of a crew who refused to carry anyone out of a building because of their colour.

>In the town you live in, how many minority cops / firefighters / EMS are there?

How old are you?  In Canada and the US, public and private employers across wide swaths of professions and occupations have been actively working to recruit various "minorities" under pressure from governments at all levels since at least the 1970s.  (My memory only goes back that far.)

opcougar said:
I mean just look at the institution that is marriage. 1 in every 2 goes South

Actually it is closer to 2 in 5 as per Employment and Social Development Canada: http://well-being.esdc.gc.ca/misme-iowb/.3ndic.1t.4r@-eng.jsp?iid=76

See what I did there?  Disagreed with you and provided proof.  You should do the same sometime.

medicineman said:
BTW, about half the coppers in my town are minorities, and about a third of the EMS here are as well.

Brad Sallows said:
>In the town you live in, how many minority cops / firefighters / EMS are there?

How old are you?  In Canada and the US, public and private employers across wide swaths of professions and occupations have been actively working to recruit various "minorities" under pressure from governments at all levels since at least the 1970s.  (My memory only goes back that far.)

There were no women, and only five visible minorities, on the job when I hired on. None were in Communications ie: Call Takers and Emergency Medical Dispatchers - EMDs ( because you first had to work in Operations back then ).
It was, and still is, the largest municipal EMS operation in Canada.

When approached in public by a citizen about Diversity ( or lack of ), I did not argue. But, I encouraged them to put in an application to the Paramedic college of their choice.

Since then, the department has come a long way in achieving Diversity. From 2006:
"Twenty-five of the 46 paramedic recruits are women, as are nine of the thirteen new EMDs."
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=af71df79b2df6410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&nrkey=15552D6A7792CEC18525718E00734C7A

An explanation from the ( now President ) Secretary - Treasurer of the Toronto Professional Fire Fighters’ Association, I.A.F.F. Local 3888:

"It was at this event that I was approached by an Afro-Canadian male in his 40’s who complained that, by viewing the members we had in attendance at Union Station, it was clear to him that we do not reflect the community. The man was upset and was very articulate at getting his point across. I listened patiently to him and I acknowledged what he was saying. I was fortunate to be familiar with the TFS hiring process and was able to assure him that the suggestions he was making were already implemented within the Toronto Fire Service. I explained to him that, regardless of the fact that the TFS has thousands of applicants each year, we still have a Recruitment Division and their primary goal is to get candidates to apply that reflect the community. I also explained that women and visible minorities, once qualified, are placed in their own group and that each class hired would require 50% from that group and 50% from the white male group. I further explained, that usually after the first class, the visible minority group is exhausted. We discussed the changes toward hiring out of the community colleges and the fact that their representation of visible minorities currently is low and that if the TFS continues down that road then it will be a new challenge for our recruitment outreach program to see higher numbers apply to the colleges. I went over the courses the TFS offers and the assistance they provide to individuals trying to join the Fire Service.
The discussion then turned to how we treat out visible minorities. While I was careful to state that I did not want to speak on behalf of individuals and their experiences, I was more than willing to share my own experiences. I was open and honest and I think he sensed that I was being sincere. The conversation took about 20 minutes but his attitude from the start of it to the end had drastically changed for the better. He was very appreciative and told me he felt a lot more comfortable with how the TFS was working toward being reflective of the community it serves."
https://www.torontofirefighters.org/wp-content/uploads/firewatch/Spring2009.pdf
Page 8.

Back