• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Do you carry a pocketknife? "

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Guessing many here already do, but just a tip some who may not....
“Without a pocketknife, a man isn’t properly dressed.”
- My Father.

According to the Los Angeles Times, an 11-month-old girl died in a burning car 28 Aug 11 because no one on the scene had a knife to cut her out of a car seat. The article clearly illustrates that a knife would have saved the child’s life while another article illustrates just the opposite result:  Father’s Day knife saves accident victim’s life.

I wonder how many times events like this happen without comment in the accident report or news media?

I always have one on me wherever I go.  They are just too handy to have.  Better to have and not need, then need and not have.

For the record, when I don't have my small Swiss Army knife in my back pocket, I always have this on my keyring:
utlil-key-open.jpg

I've got 3-4 small knives that I picked up for about $2 each at a surplus store in Toronto.  Better than nothing, and cheap enough that when I inevitably leave it in my pocket as I pass through airport security I feel no real pangs of regret on leaving it behind.

milnews.ca said:
For the record, when I don't have my small Swiss Army knife in my back pocket, I always have this on my keyring:
utlil-key-open.jpg

Where did you find that at?

Look here Jimmy
https://www.swisstechstore.com/home.php?cat=75

Pretty cool products.

It's precisely sad stories like that which keep my Leatherman MUT on my belt at all times.

Canadian.Trucker said:
Look here Jimmy
https://www.swisstechstore.com/home.php?cat=75

Pretty cool products.
A couple of other places to order a Utilikey, Jimmy_D:
CAVEAT:  Don't assume it will make it through security screening at an airport - I've had it taken away at Canadian and American screenings, and I've had it pass when I forgot about it at Canadian and American screenings. 

I always carry (in uniform) a CRKT Ignitor with me.  I did order a Smith & Wesson M&P MAGIC Assisted 3.6" Combo Blade, Black Handle, Window Breaker knife as a replacement, but I think that someone liked it better than me as it never arrived in the mail.  I'll get one next time I'm in Norfolk I guess.

A Russell Trout #1, a small stainless steel German made compass, and flint and steel.  Always.  They were given to me by my brother who inherited them from his father.  The Russell is dated 1959, the compass the same, the flint steel are much older and excellent fire starters.

In uniform I try to keep my Gerber with me, or at least a small knife.

For extra preparedness, I keep a simple pocket first aid kit with me. If I have a knapsack, a small pouch of medical supplies.

The pocket one was quite handy in field ex.

I got 1 in the first aid kit in the car.  In uniform a gerber, but other than that I don't have one for day to day activities unless I foresee a need for it.

Doesn't everybody?  Although the knife type and size vary depending on the situation/uniform, I have one available everyday since it is such a useful tool.

We were issued folding knives for hangings. 

For seat belts, we were issued "tuff cuts" as they reduced the risk of cutting the patient ( or yourself ). 

My Swiss Army knife has crossed the ocean with me several times both the slow and the fast way, it's been reliable, has opened cans, bottles, unscrewed signs from the walls of many a bar, has opened and repaired various bits of gear on the ships I've sailed on.  Always handy.

I miss the days when I could fly with it.

NS

Yup the swiss army is the best. As backup my Canadian U.S. Army issue which I still have. And a Rueber compass combat Knife,,, 8 inch blade,, Compass, Line and hook's(fishing), Wet-stone. Best blade's (pocket).
Cheer's,, Scoty B

Back