• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

• Thread starter Thread starter Yard Ape
  • Start date Start date
Expecting a reserve force to train to modern standards without modern facilities, especially for support trades like vehicles techs is peak stupidity on the part of the CAF. Our tool boxes are a mess because the original lists were made in the 80s, and they just kept adding to it, some tools could easily be replaced with more modern ones to save space and weight but alas the institution is slow to move so we get 5 checklists to complete instead of 1.

Expecting a reserve force to train to modern standards without modern facilities, especially for support trades like vehicles techs is peak stupidity on the part of the CAF. Our tool boxes are a mess because the original lists were made in the 80s, and they just kept adding to it, some tools could easily be replaced with more modern ones to save space and weight but alas the institution is slow to move so we get 5 checklists to complete instead of 1.

There's your first dodgy assumption ;)

Speaking of Minto Armoury, after years of battles, in the late 90's. I had the 17 Wing P Med condemn ALL the washrooms. Once that happened, the yellow truck that sleeps six people HAD to fix them. Believe it was the first overall in several decades.

We also had no heat in Minto one Winter. We held Levee Day in a module tent on the parade square. In waltzes in the 17 Wing Comd et al, in service dress tunics while we were wearing parkas. Two of the overhead heaters were fixed shortly after.

Speaking of Minto Armoury, after years of battles, in the late 90's. I had the 17 Wing P Med condemn ALL the washrooms. Once that happened, the yellow truck that sleeps six people HAD to fix them. Believe it was the first overall in several decades.

We also had no heat in Minto one Winter. We held Levee Day in a module tent on the parade square. In waltzes in the 17 Wing Comd et al, in service dress tunics while we were wearing parkas. Two of the overhead heaters were fixed shortly after.
I don’t recall that winter fondly. We could have done winter Indoc IN Minto

I have to account for 10 tone jacks to our LAVs that haven’t been usable since the LAV 6 upgrade because no one bothered to adjust the EIS. Were bad at this stuff

I have to account for 10 tone jacks to our LAVs that haven’t been usable since the LAV 6 upgrade because no one bothered to adjust the EIS. Were bad at this stuff
Had a CQ get posted in anything not used in 6 months was returned to depot. Cleared a lot of room

You're absolutely correct, that's a problem with our LCMMs and SMs.

You should see the material that's on the SHARP; and more specifically the GSL and ESL, for a CPF that's meant to support systems that aren't even on the ship anymore. But when we return them, the bounce right back to us on the next pick wave because the LCMMs and SMs wont kill our Max/Mins.

I will echo what I have said before the major issues that I see in our Sustainment and Supply systems lay at the feet of poor/lazy LCMMs and SMs.

You're absolutely correct, that's a problem with our LCMMs and SMs.

You should see the material that's on the SHARP; and more specifically the GSL and ESL, for a CPF that's meant to support systems that aren't even on the ship anymore. But when we return them, the bounce right back to us on the next pick wave because the LCMMs and SMs wont kill our Max/Mins.

I will echo what I have said before the major issues that I see in our Sustainment and Supply systems lay at the feet of poor/lazy LCMMs and SMs.
I agree that in some shops there is a lack of understanding of their roles, but even in good ones they are just as bogged down as we are dealing with an inefficient system. Much of the issue is we have made the system in some ways more complex and despite better automation tools, we insist on inserting manual steps. The new 4766(?) HPR form is a prime example. The instructions are confusing on how to put it into the system, there is no ability for staff to do any oversight (one of the reasons it was introduced) and the work inordinately falls on the young Pte/S1 - MCpl/MS to figure it all out. It is an absolute time wasting manual step.

There are super responsive SM/LCMMs and not so responsive ones but I have found that most of them care and will make changes if prompted. Sometimes they don't even realize it is an issue.

As for the max/mins you can remove them yourself. I do it all the time for depot stuff without issue as they were probably set three SM ago and they have no clue they are set or how to remove them.

I agree that in some shops there is a lack of understanding of their roles, but even in good ones they are just as bogged down as we are dealing with an inefficient system. Much of the issue is we have made the system in some ways more complex and despite better automation tools, we insist on inserting manual steps. The new 4766(?) HPR form is a prime example. The instructions are confusing on how to put it into the system, there is no ability for staff to do any oversight (one of the reasons it was introduced) and the work inordinately falls on the young Pte/S1 - MCpl/MS to figure it all out. It is an absolute time wasting manual step.

It amazes me how we have a single supply system but we operate differently. I am aware of the 4766(whatever). In the RCN we now use an app to submit our HPRs. And EMREQs and MATREQs are still sent out to the TG via MCOIN. Perhaps the HPR Cells use that form, but the ships wont and don't.

There are super responsive SM/LCMMs and not so responsive ones but I have found that most of them care and will make changes if prompted. Sometimes they don't even realize it is an issue.

We must have very different LCMMS and SM interactions. I am continually underwhelmed by their provided support and knowledge in how to provide support.

As for the max/mins you can remove them yourself. I do it all the time for depot stuff without issue as they were probably set three SM ago and they have no clue they are set or how to remove them.

We (ships) cannot remove max/mins. These are controlled by the LCMM/SM teams. They are established by class of ship.

It amazes me how we have a single supply system but we operate differently. I am aware of the 4766(whatever). In the RCN we now use an app to submit our HPRs. And EMREQs and MATREQs are still sent out to the TG via MCOIN. Perhaps the HPR Cells use that form, but the ships wont and don't.

We must have very different LCMMS and SM interactions. I am continually underwhelmed by their provided support and knowledge in how to provide support.

We (ships) cannot remove max/mins. These are controlled by the LCMM/SM teams. They are established by class of ship.
Fair enough. The HPR thing I find is more a problem for the RCAF and CA as their HPR cells are nascent and way they work are very different from the RCN.

As for min/max if they authorize returns but still have min/max set, then they really don't understand the system. I get what you are saying but I suspect they wouldn't even realize that you adjusted them. I have cancelled many and deleted so many more PREQs/STOs over the years and no has yet to say anything. If your SM/LCMMs are that unresponsive then they likely are not looking at their levels in DRMIS. Mostly because most people don't have a clue how the system works anyway.

Fair enough. The HPR thing I find is more a problem for the RCAF and CA as their HPR cells are nascent and way they work are very different from the RCN.

I honestly don't remember their being an HPR cell when I was with the CA. Perhaps I just wasn't exposed; do they exist ?

I have no RCAF experience.

As for min/max if they authorize returns but still have min/max set, then they really don't understand the system. I get what you are saying but I suspect they wouldn't even realize that you adjusted them. I have cancelled many and deleted so many more PREQs/STOs over the years and no has yet to say anything. If your SM/LCMMs are that unresponsive then they likely are not looking at their levels in DRMIS. Mostly because most people don't have a clue how the system works anyway.

They either get a notification, as its all class based, or the system puts them back when the deployed server fib/fobs (I know MIMS reference).

Its probably a deployedism. Its similar to when we cancel STOs we then have to reach back to 2nd line and get them to cancel on their end, or they will still end up pushing us the demand even though its canceled on our end. The deployed server creates a lot of extra work. Do you know is this is something MISL is supposed to address ?

I honestly don't remember their being an HPR cell when I was with the CA. Perhaps I just wasn't exposed; do they exist ?

I have no RCAF experience.
Some places have them, most don't or rather they just make HPR duties an inherent part of 2nd line without explicitly tasking pers (or they just ignore it). The CA is most affected by HPR policy as the vast majority of their orders are automated via work order release and they all almost go from 1st line to 2nd line to 3rd line. Each of those creates its own PREQ and STO that are not linked (changes made to WO, or orders lower have no affect on the higher level order same as your example below). While not all work orders are high priority, it takes some knowledge to be able to find your HPRs that were automatically generated and attach the proper paperwork
They either get a notification, as its all class based, or the system puts them back when the deployed server fib/fobs (I know MIMS reference).

Its probably a deployedism. Its similar to when we cancel STOs we then have to reach back to 2nd line and get them to cancel on their end, or they will still end up pushing us the demand even though its canceled on our end. The deployed server creates a lot of extra work. Do you know is this is something MISL is supposed to address ?
The min/max is set in the Materiel Master Record under the MRP1 tab. I would be surprised they get a notification, there is no standard functionality in SAP/DRMIS for that. They could have created a bespoke ABAP (SAP programming language) query that does that but highly doubtful we are that smart. They can of course manually look at changes people make but it isn't easy.

The deployed server creates a lot of work, but that reaching to 2nd line happens for everyone becasue of how we set up the system. We set DRMIS to do auto STO which means a PREQ is automatically converted to a STO at every level a demand is needed. Once the next level is generated it never refers back to the original PREQ or STO. That is why any changes at the unit level have to be manually made at the 2nd/3rd line level as well. SAP standard is to only convert a PREQ to a STO when it is going to be fulfilled and any changes to a PREQ at the unit level adjust all other related orders. Plus at the 2nd and 3rd line it will combine quantities so they deal with 1 order rather than 10. It is being looked at for implementation, but it significanty slowed by the fact most senior folks it goes through don't have enough knowledge on the system to understand what a game changer it can be.

MISL will solve none of this as it is focused on pulling in 3 bespoke systems (AIMS, FMS, NMDS) and upgrading our warehouse managenment module to enhanced warehouse mananegent. The auto STO and other MRP issues reside in the core componment of DRMIS and that is not changing

Back