• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

It was more about “mechanized unitscant so urban” I probably over reacted. In general I agree with what you’re saying, but structurally including reservists in sections was already something we did in force 2013, with 2 per section.
Personally I think that the Russian experience in Ukraine argues against planning for Reservists to fill out under strength Reg Force sections.

Much of the difficulties that the Russians had in the initial invasion was that they (like us) have most of their units at 70% manning during peacetime. In practice that means that for Mechanized Infantry units the vehicle positions get manned at the expense of dismounts. As a result they didn't have enough dismounts to properly support their armour and they were chopped up by Ukrainian AT teams.

There is no guarantee that we will have enough notice when we're forced to deploy our forces to call up the Reservists to fill out our sections and we could face the exact same problem.

I'm strongly in favour of keeping our Reg Force units at 100% manning within at least sub-units. That way when they deploy they have all the personnel they need to be combat effective (that goes for CS elements as well). FJAG's 70/30 and 30/70 models are somewhat different in that the Reg Force Companies within the units are fully manned and it's the additional Companies to fill out the unit that are made up of primarily Reservists.

And Mechanized units are definitely the go to type of units for urban combat. The extra Reservist dismounts are just there to provide additional support for the Mech units because urban combat in particular is so manpower intensive. I recall reading somewhere that in US urban warfare planning a major highrise office complex would be considered a Battalion objective.

Personally I think that the Russian experience in Ukraine argues against planning for Reservists to fill out under strength Reg Force sections.

The Russian and Ukrainian expereince in Ukraine suggests that the CAF is light years behind a couple of basket case countries in building any kind of credible, sizeable military force.

US Army Reserves are primarily focused on CSS units including Support and Sustainment Battalions. No reason some of our many Reserve Regiments couldn't be re-roled as Transport Companies.
While the ARNG provides light infantry, Stryker and Armoured brigades as well as everything else.

We currently have ten ResF service battalions which could easily be rerolled into larger transport and even maintenance battalions which would be more than sufficient to fill our needs for sustainment units above brigade level, even if three or four of them were to be retained as full-sized service battalions for three or four full-sized ResF brigades rather than the ten rump administrative entities that currently form the CBGs.

I'm not against re-rolling superfluous infantry battalions and armoured regiments but while I see a need for amalgamating units into fewer numbers, I really don't see a need for re-rolling at this point. We can do pretty much everything we need within the current number of all units available and simply control the structures by more judicious recruiting in the future to round out or bulk up specific units.

🍻

One of the potential problems with plans for closer Reserve Force augmentation/Total Force integration with Reg Force units is geography. The bulk of our Reserve units are not located very close to our Reg Force bases/training areas.

What is a reasonable travel distance between a Reserve unit and a parent Reg Force unit in order for augmentation/integration to be feasible? Or do they have to be geographically nearby? Is sending your deployable Reserve Platoon (as part of your Reserve Battalion's Task Grouped Company) off to exercise with your affiliated Reg Force Battalion once or twice a year enough? The rest of the year you train the amalgamated Company in local training areas?

One of the potential problems with plans for closer Reserve Force augmentation/Total Force integration with Reg Force units is geography. The bulk of our Reserve units are not located very close to our Reg Force bases/training areas.

What is a reasonable travel distance between a Reserve unit and a parent Reg Force unit in order for augmentation/integration to be feasible? Or do they have to be geographically nearby? Is sending your deployable Reserve Platoon (as part of your Reserve Battalion's Task Grouped Company) off to exercise with your affiliated Reg Force Battalion once or twice a year enough? The rest of the year you train the amalgamated Company in local training areas?

It's entirely feasible to do that.

As long as the Reg F can conduct their 'culminating' exercise when Reservists are available, and the Reservists have a couple of weeks to get ramped up through progressively more complex scenarios.

When you drop a militia rifle company, some of whom haven't ever worked together before, into a 'test exercise' scenario on Day 1 of a big exercise you will get what you deserve... a hot mess.

And, TBF to the RegF, I'm sure the militia higher ups played a roll in these chaotic events by overpromising what the Reservists could accomplish from Day 1.

Regardless, I could only stomach going through that nightmare during two summers, and never went back for more spankings ;)

It's entirely feasible to do that.

As long as the Reg F can conduct their 'culminating' exercise when Reservists are available, and the Reservists have a couple of weeks to get ramped up through progressively more complex scenarios.

When you drop a militia rifle company, some of whom haven't ever worked together before, into a 'test exercise' scenario on Day 1 of a big exercise you will get what you deserve... a hot mess.

And, TBF to the RegF, I'm sure the militia higher ups played a roll in these chaotic events by overpromising what the Reservists could accomplish from Day 1.

Regardless, I could only stomach going through that nightmare during two summers, and never went back for more spankings ;)
So in your opinion, as long as the Reserve units that are contributing Platoons to an augmentation Rifle Company are geographically close enough to train together regularly through the year and work up together as a cohesive sub-unit in prep for an annual culminating exercise with their Reg Force parent unit then geographic proximity to the Reg Force unit isn't critical?

So in your opinion, as long as the Reserve units that are contributing Platoons to an augmentation Rifle Company are geographically close enough to train together regularly through the year and work up together as a cohesive sub-unit in prep for an annual culminating exercise with their Reg Force parent unit then geographic proximity to the Reg Force unit isn't critical?

Yes, absolutely.

What would be good though is regular communications between the Ops teams throughout the training year to ensure that the training being delivered aligns with what will be required during the summer exercise period.

Medics are in fact one of the professions that give me pause as to how reasonable it is to have professionals in the reserves. This is not because of the value that they bring day to day, which is substantial, but how useable they are in an emergency or disaster when they will probably be even more required in their civilian role. They are already essential workers. Will their skill be as well utilized in the role of a military medic as they would be as a civilian nurse or paramedic.

If the intent is to expand the availability of skilled workers in an emergency through activating a military reserve don't we have to position those essential "military" skills in a civilian workforce that is not inherently essential during an emergency?

:unsure:
This battle has raged (whimpered) since the early 80's. Still no resolution in sight!

What percentage combat arms and CS PRes Regiments on the books are currently large enough to deliver a platoon if so tasked?

What percentage combat arms and CS PRes Regiments on the books are currently large enough to deliver a platoon if so tasked?

Random guess would be almost 100%.

I've never seen a unit that couldn't scrape together at least one 'trained' platoon, and approximately another full of trainees at various stages in the qualification process.

I'm sure that someone will be along in a minute to correct me, though ;)

Random guess would be almost 100%.

I've never seen a unit that couldn't scrape together at least one 'trained' platoon, and approximately another full of trainees at various stages in the qualification process.

I'm sure that someone will be along in a minute to correct me, though ;)
Thanks. Is there a material number that can do 2 or more?

That to my mind should be one of the first things to be looked at in restructuring the Reserves. I'm thinking that a reasonable goal would be for each Infantry unit to be able to muster a complete Company strength with 3 x Platoons of trained personnel plus a Recruit Platoon. So 150-180 troops minimum?

That would allow each unit to deploy a Platoon for exercises using only 1/3 of their trained strength. Platoons could run through a readiness cycle so that you have the same Platoon being your High Readiness Platoon and working with the Platoons from the other units making up the augmentation Company in prop for the annual exercise with their Reg Force parent unit.

The 2nd Platoon can be focusing on Platoon-level training while the 3rd Platoon can work on catching up on individual training, integrating newly trained recruits, etc.

I do like FJAG's idea of centralized Training Depots where recruits from all of the units making up the Reserve Battalion that is tasked to force generate the augmentation company can train together to get at least their DP1 qualifications before joining their individual units. Doing basic training together with troops from your affiliated units would also help with cohesion as the Platoons from each unit train together. Perhaps the Training Depot could be co-located with a Transport Company that can maintain a centralized pool of vehicles for the augmentation Company to train on throughout the year?

There are those who 'claim' to be able to produce more than one platoon, especially those with two 'mission elements' on the books, but their actual capacity fluctuates like the tides.

At least with the two or three I've seen in the past.
My old unit (Foresters) could spool up 2 platoons easily IF we are talking short term DOM OP. Sadly, the poor civilian employment prospects in Simcoe, Grey and Bruce Counties though make that quite possibly.

That to my mind should be one of the first things to be looked at in restructuring the Reserves. I'm thinking that a reasonable goal would be for each Infantry unit to be able to muster a complete Company strength with 3 x Platoons of trained personnel plus a Recruit Platoon. So 150-180 troops minimum?

We are so far away from that capability you'd need a crystal ball to see it from here ;)

We are so far away from that capability you'd need a crystal ball to see it from here ;)
How many Reserve Infantry units currently would be able to muster those kind of numbers (150-180)? If they can't then that's where I think consolidation could occur. I don't see an issue however with having satellite Platoon locations if the trained numbers are there to support them, but they should be under a Company-level command.

Other than showing the flag in the community and having a disciplined and organized body of personnel to fill sandbags, etc. in case of a crisis is there much real military utility in a unit smaller than that? Can a unit smaller than that realistically hope to consistently field a trained Platoon on pretty much a permanent basis?

How many Reserve Infantry units currently would be able to muster those kind of numbers (150-180)? If they can't then that's where I think consolidation could occur. I don't see an issue however with having satellite Platoon locations if the trained numbers are there to support them, but they should be under a Company-level command.

Other than showing the flag in the community and having a disciplined and organized body of personnel to fill sandbags, etc. in case of a crisis is there much real military utility in a unit smaller than that? Can a unit smaller than that realistically hope to consistently field a trained Platoon on pretty much a permanent basis?

If the Reg F can't consistently produce those numbers, why would you expect the ARes to do so? ;)

If the Reg F can't consistently produce those numbers, why would you expect the ARes to do so? ;)
Sadly for the Reg Force that situation is by design with the Generation vs Establishment manning numbers. Something that I believe needs to change or we could find ourselves in a pretty nasty situation if we ever have to deploy rapidly to face a threat.

Sadly for the Reg Force that situation is by design with the Generation vs Establishment manning numbers. Something that I believe needs to change or we could find ourselves in a pretty nasty situation if we ever have to deploy rapidly to face a threat.
Can’t get there anyway ;)
All by design…

Back