• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Disrespectful facebook profile

Trueblue

Inactive
Reaction score
I was browsing facebook and came across a facebook profile

The privates profile picture is him carrying a casket of a fallen heroe in CFB trenton.

Am I the only one who finds this extremely disrespectful to have something like that as his facebook profile picture? As if he's proud of it?

I already messaged him over a week ago requesting he removed it but he has yet to do so.

Maybe I do not see it, but I find that too be the quite a moving and honourable picture.

How do you know if he is not in some way connected to that picture, personally?  Would you not be disrespecting him, with your demands?

dileas

tess

If you read his comment about the other photo he states he didn't know the soldier.

Maybe I'm just seeing it in a different light... however moving the picture may be, I don't believe it belongs on facebook.

Why would he remove it ? What happens if thats his brother or fauther or cousin in that casket or even a fellow brother.

Way i see it your over reacting thats your belief and you would not do it. But maybe its his way of copping with the loss of a love one or friend.

Either way r.i.p brother

Have to agree with Tess, a lot of people put pictures of decesed as their profile picture as their way of honouring the soldier.  Also having being part of a repatration ceremony it is a moving experiance and that might be how he deals with it.  As long as he is not using the picture as advertising or something like that I say let it be.  That is my opinion.

Trueblue,

What are you going to do next?

Go to every bridge that spans the Highway of heroes, and take people's camera's away?  Tell them to get off the bridge?

I find no offence in the picture, and I am stoked that someone is honouring our fallen that way.

dileas

tess

Got to agree with everyone else on this one. What better way to honour a hero than put it where millions will see it and remember the sacfrifice ALL our troops are making. If you want it off Facebook then take it off CBC, CTV, Global, Toronto Star, etc.

I vote leave it and think about it!!

Picture seems to be taken in a public venue (not appearing to betray confidences, as in, say, posting private funeral pix from a cell phone), very similar to many we see in papers, on TV and the internet.  If he's not making disparaging comments on his page, I see nothing wrong with the photo being shared this way, either.

I have to chime in as well, in that I also interpret posting that photo as respectful, as opposed to not.

I really don't see it as disrespectful. Just because one person wouldn't choose to honor the fallen in such a manner, does not make it wrong, or disrespectful.

People put memorials on facebook to fallen soldiers, police officers . . . etc. all the time.

To be honest I'm shocked at the replys here, I can see where you're coming from and I think it's because most of you don't have the mind set of a 20-some year old fresh out of basic private.

There is nothing wrong with photographing the memorials of fallen heroes in fact I encourage it, it's just... putting this as his facebook profile picture comes across to me insantly as "hey, I'm in the army, look at me." and comes across to me (and every co-worker I've shown this to in person) as a means of him using the death of one of our comrades as a way of getting attention.

To quote his own comment on the photo
really sad moment. i have this picture up to respect this man who had died and his family. hearing his family cry two feet away from me was by hard the hardest thing.

The last bit of that is what made it strike me as him trying to get attention from this, I know MANY vets who have came back from over seas and wouldn't consider posting "feel bad for me" comments like that on their facebook of all things.

In any case, maybe I am just a hateful person... also I am going to edit my post and remove his profile from it that probably wasn't the most considerate thing to do.

You are reading far too much into what he has said. Take it for what is actually said and the spirit of how it was said and move on. Personally I think you were out of line for asking him to take something down that was done as a gesture of respect and respectfully displayed.

Trueblue.  I've seen many a facebook profile pics of people's children, respected passed love ones, etc.  They are important to the poster and mark an important part of their lives.  This troop was obviously moved by his experience and felt the need to share that important event with his "friends".  Nothing wrong with it at all.
"The mind-set of a 20-some year old fresh out of basic private"  ? Not sure what you mean by this.  Nothing at all wrong with a young person just entering the military showing respect and emotion towards a fallen brother.  I would think that was a good thing.  I'm sure he felt honoured and humbled by his task, and proud to be a part of something so important.

Trueblue said:
To be honest I'm shocked at the replys here, I can see where you're coming from and I think it's because most of you don't have the mind set of a 20-some year old fresh out of basic private.

Yep, because we all have forgotten what it was to be 20 and serving, and lost our respect for the military in our age induced haze....

Trueblue said:
There is nothing wrong with photographing the memorials of fallen heroes in fact I encourage it, it's just... putting this as his facebook profile picture comes across to me insantly as "hey, I'm in the army, look at me." and comes across to me (and every co-worker I've shown this to in person) as a means of him using the death of one of our comrades as a way of getting attention.

And I assume you do not see the irony of your actions towards the guy, and this thread.

Trueblue said:
To quote his own comment on the photo;

really sad moment. i have this picture up to respect this man who had died and his family. hearing his family cry two feet away from me was by hard the hardest thing.

The last bit of that is what made it strike me as him trying to get attention from this, I know MANY vets who have came back from over seas and wouldn't consider posting "feel bad for me" comments like that on their facebook of all things.

When you one day, God forbid, ever have to perform such a task, come on back to this thread and explain if your feelings are the same.  He had to carry the body of a fallen soldier.  Forget momentarily (I know this is a bit harsh) about the fallen soldier and think what the six guys are going through. Carrying the body of a Fellow Warrior and listening to the pains of the family.  I find it crass, that you are too callous to concern for this Pallbearer as your Fellow soldier.  He must have died with every step, and wail that he heard that day.  He may have not had the privelage of knowing the soldier, he had the honour of carrying him on his last journey, and he wants to show that to everyone so we will never forget.

Trueblue said:
In any case, maybe I am just a hateful person... also I am going to edit my post and remove his profile from it that probably wasn't the most considerate thing to do.

No not hateful at all.  Your heart is in the right place, however you need to switch your mind in tune with it. 

dileas

tess

Trueblue: When you fill out your profile, then we'll chat. Until then, suffice it to say I think you're way out of your arcs of fire here.
Look at my facebook profile and look at the pic on my profile here.

I've had the honour of carrying three friends of mine to their final rest, thankfully none from the present conflict, as my days of service are long over.  At the risk of sounding callous, the man inside the casket has the easy part, he is beyond any kind of care.  It tore my guts out each time, and I would have traded places with any of them, having to look those families in the eye at the worst moment of their lives.

don't know where I'm going with this, whiskey makes me stupid.

I say 50/50.

He might be honouring the fallen or might be showing off that he's in the looking for praise/sympathy.  Really hard to say, depends on the person.

Back