• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Did I get a measles shot during my career?

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
There is a lot of attention lately on having a current measles shot.
I don't have a record of what shots I got over the years. Is there someone on here with info on what vaccinations we normally receive?

You may or may not have recieved an MMR (measles/mumps/rubella) shot during your career depending on what shots you had coming in. MMR is usually given a couple times in a life time so if you only had one shot before you joined there is a good chance you got another one after you got in.
If you are concerned you can go to your Dr. (maybe even public health?) and ask for a titre for measles to be drawn. They will take some of your blood and test you to see if you are immune. If you are not they can give you another shot.
Hope this helps.
RT

Or if in doubt, just get another shot, they're not expensive and insurance will usually cover vaccines.

I got an arm-load of of vaccines and boosters at a private clinic recently, other than the consultation fee, insurance covered pretty much everything.

Hamish Seggie said:
Got your yellow vaccine book?
I'm a little older than you Hamish.  ;) Last saw it two moves ago.
I'll go with the replies to my query. Thx.

Baden Guy said:
I'm a little older than you Hamish.  ;) Last saw it two moves ago.

At that age, it may not be a worry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/healthy-living/canadian-immunization-guide-part-4-active-vaccines/page-12-measles-vaccine.html#p4c11t1
Routine immunization

Adults born before 1970 are generally presumed to have acquired natural immunity to measles; however, some of these individuals may be susceptible.

Adults without contraindications, born in or after 1970 who do not meet the definition of measles immunity (refer to Table 1 for criteria for immunity) should be immunized with 1 dose of MMR vaccine.

. . .

Military Personnel
Documentation of vaccination with 2 doses (regardless of year of birth)
OR
History of laboratory confirmed infection
OR
Laboratory evidence of immunity

MMR only became available in the early 1980s.  Prior to that, a measles vaccine was not in the immunization routine for the CF.  I don't remember what the roll-out consisted of, but I do not have an MMR in my yellow book.  I thought I had received it, but I checked my records before drafting this post.  Now that I think about it, when I went through BOTC Chilliwack in the 1980s, MMR was on the list of shots that candidates were to get however I avoided it because (like the others from the ranks) I was there on TD, and they didn't have my med docs to confirm what I already had.  Plus, I knew some of the people running the immunization parade so they took my word that I was up to date.  I was, at least according to the schedule that I used at NDHQ MIR where I worked prior to commissioning (one of my duties was immunizations).

It seems probable that MMR was not given routinely except as part of the initial series at basic training.  In the years between BOTC and my retirement I went through a number of DAGs and received a number of new and booster immunizations but the PMEDs never indicated that I should receive an MMR.  I'm not too worried about it since I (kinda) remember having had measles and mumps as a child and I definitely remember getting German measles (rubella) - that one showed up on graduation day at Cornwallis in the 1970s.  I (and a couple of others) was not permitted to be on or attend grad parade, not because of any weakness or infirmity but because we might come into contact with a pregnant female.

One thing I did notice by checking my yellow book is that I'm past due for my TD booster.

(edited to add)

Depending on your province of residence it may be provided as part of the routine immunization schedule.  In Alberta, for example, the following is what an adult could receive.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/info/hp/cdc/if-hp-cdc-ipsm-routine-imm-schedule.pdf
Booster doses: dTap (1 dose) then Td every 10 years, if pregnant see below
Hepatitis B (3 doses for unprotected adults born in 1981 or later)
MMR (1 or 2 doses if born in 1957 or later and no record showing given in childhood)
Varicella (chickenpox) for unprotected adults (2 doses)
Pneumococcal polysaccharide (PNEUMO-P) at 65 years of age or older

Back