• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defining Foreign and Defence Policy (and hence our Military Force)

Humphrey Bogart said:
I happen to personally know the owner of the company that does this work.  Here is an interesting tidbit for you George, the rubber used isn't the best rubber but it is not the company doing this. 

Track pads and wheels use synthetic rubber instead of natural rubber.  The reason for this is because in WWII the Axis controlled nearly all the Worlds natural rubber supply.  There was a rubber shortage so it was mandated that track pads be made with synthetic rubber.

The problem is synthetic rubber is 4x the cost of natural rubber and has a lifespan that's a quarter that of synthetic rubber. 

He actually made a pitch to make track pads using natural rubber; however, the military refused to change their specs.  In the end, he is more than happy to take more money  ;D

...And we replaced roadwheels daily, if not more often, instead of weekly or longer.  [:(

We had roadwheels where the rubber actually caught fire (from the inside of rubber) in the middle of traces.  Roadwheels that may have been put on that very morning.  We then got very picky as to what the NSN were on the wheels.

George Wallace said:
...And we replaced roadwheels daily, if not more often, instead of weekly or longer.  [:(

We had roadwheels where the rubber actually caught fire (from the inside of rubber) in the middle of traces.  Roadwheels that may have been put on that very morning.  We then got very picky as to what the NSN were on the wheels.

Yep, now if the military would get around to changing the specs, you could use natural rubber and only need to pound track once a week  ;D

Humphrey Bogart said:
Yep, now if the military would get around to changing the specs, you could use natural rubber and only need to pound track once a week  ;D

But how would you keep Tankers fit?

MilEME09 said:
The hatch is round, so shouldn't the soldier be round to fit?  >:D

Pear also works!  Who needs hatches when your love handles will catch you if you happen to get blown out of the turret  ;D

Also, You should always have a Reserve!  I think a nice beer belly fits the bill!

GnyHwy said:
That is quite the rag! Read this article too. It's a couple years old, but I doubt they have changed their mind since then. There are a few doozies in there.

"A Canadian Defence and Security Policy for the 21st Century"
http://www.ceasefire.ca/?p=20741

Does anyone know in contrast to a "staggering $62B" [more] spent on defence in the next 20 years, what adjective would be used to describe the approximately $340B* spent on EI in the same period? ???

Regards
G2G

* - Annual Financial Report of the Government of Canada for Fiscal Year 2015–2016

Loachman said:
MCG said:
Generally, lowest cost compliant has been a discouraged selection criteria for major projects as it is not seen to get good value.
Good. Has this helped?
Good question.  I don't know, but you will have seen its outputs.  It has been over a decade now that the philosophy in ADM(Mat) has been that lowest cost compliant is the wrong procurement method for new capabilities or major equipment.  Instead, they talk about "best value for money" which really boils down to recognizing that spending more to get something better often pays off in lower lifecycle costs, longer equipment relevance (ie. does not need to be replaced as soon), and/or greater operational capability.  So, we define the minimum compliance standard and then some calculus to compare cost and performance above minimum compliance across all proposals.  This will have made a difference both in the proposals that industry has packaged together in response to RFPs (they know they can get more money by offering something that exceeds the minimum requirements) and in the proposals that are eventually selected by the project team. 

However, I worry that we lack the professional competencies to always craft beneficial statements of requirement or cost-per-point selection criteria.  On the Army side, we send people to our requirements staff without having put them through technical staff training, and we have people with technical staff training who spend little to no time in requirements staff.  The RCEME capbage is seemingly believed to imbue the wearer great abilities in the field of capitol equipment procurement projects, when what we really need is expert civilian procurement project managers who take the outputs of the requirement staffs and then buy the things we need; the RCEME capbadges should focus on maintenance management (which could include in-service equipment management, and it should include inputs to requirement writing) and leave strategic purchasing to professionals in that field.

George Wallace said:
If you really want to nit pick...
No.  It is not nit picking to want to differentiate between some guy's assumptions and known facts when having an informed discussion.  This goes directly to the credibility, value and weight to be given to statements being made.  So, you made a blanket statement based on assumption but presented as though it were truth in order to segue into a broad-brush slagging of people that you don't even know. When a little light was shone onto the assumption, you doubled down with decades old examples (at least one going back to 4 CMBG and potentially both being linked to your lowest-cost conclusion by, again, an assumption) and threw-out "nit pick" to trivialize the distinction between facts vs "invented facts".  I too have had "conversations with some people a little closer to the inner workings of those decision makers" (in fact, for a brief period I was one of those people), and I have followed a few SITREPS through this site that indicated there were trials involved in the selection process that you have written off as just being handed to the lowest bidder.  Maybe one does not agree with the conclusion of those trials, but that is a different story.  Based on my observations it appears to me that the foundational premise, in your argument accusing "penny pinching" procurement officers of not caring for the troops, is probably wrong.  More so than malice, individual incompetencies and/or a dysfunctional system could be the driving factor(s) behind symptoms that you see.

The adoption of Performance Based Contracting comes to mind.  How well it is being used or understood is another matter but other countries seem to be doing well by it.

jmt18325 said:
16. Modernized CH-146
17. Modernized CH-149
18. New ground based air defence systems.

To the person you were responding to - it would be a good idea to read the plan before criticizing it, I'd say.

i had the GBAD but missed the ISR platform to augment SOF, i wonder if they are thinking of king airs or maybe something more substantial based on the global express?

Do the Germans use natural rubber on their tanks?

suffolkowner said:
ISR platform to augment SOF, i wonder if they are thinking of king airs or maybe something more substantial based on the global express?

http://army.ca/forums/threads/111835.0.html

MAISR project.

suffolkowner said:
i had the GBAD but missed the ISR platform to augment SOF, i wonder if they are thinking of king airs or maybe something more substantial based on the global express?

I missed both that part of your list, and the ISR part of the review.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Idea been around a while, see from 2014 (King Air airframe):

RCAF Acquiring (a few) ISR Planes from US for Special Forces[?]
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/mark-collins-rcaf-acquiring-a-few-isr-planes-from-us-for-special-forces/

Mark
Ottawa

suffolkowner said:

Do the Germans use natural rubber on their tanks?

At least in NATO, everyone uses synthetic rubber now because it's the spec.  In WWII, 95% of natural rubber at the time was grown in SE Asia.  One of the first things the Japanese did was seize control of all the rubber plantations in Indonesia immediately gaining control of the world supply of natural rubber.  A massive industrial effort commenced to develop synthetic alternatives and also ration rubber.

Natural Rubber is now grown elsewhere and it would be far more difficult to completely choke off supply. 

You can read a bit about it here:

http://historyofrubber.weebly.com/wwii.html

Natural rubber does not like ethanol and woe to thee that uses the wrong brake fluid in a English vehicle with natural rubber seals.

Colin P said:
Natural rubber does not like ethanol and woe to thee that uses the wrong brake fluid in a English vehicle with natural rubber seals.

This is true; however, for track pads this wouldn't be as much of an issue.  Now if we were talking about hoses, we would be having a different conversation.

Humphrey Bogart said:
This is true; however, for track pads this wouldn't be as much of an issue.  Now if we were talking about hoses, we would be having a different conversation.

Just keep the zipperheads away from the distillery and you should be golden.

Missing from this discussion is what is missing from the new Defence budget: a clear outlining of Canada's National Interests, the Grand Strategy to achieve or execute the interests and a realistic assessment of what sorts of resources and manpower we have and are willing to employ in the furtherance of these interests.

Edward has written some very good assessments of this in the past in other threads (it would be nice to gather them up again), and it would be even better if Parliament and the Canadian public would discuss these issues openly. If the majority of the Canadian public are not interested in spending money on defense and are willing to accept the consequences (to essentially become someone else's client and have no independent voice), then at least put it out in the open so *we* are not flailing around in a vacuum.

Back