• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defence Analyst Sunil Ram

Greymatters,

For one thing, since he's a member here, I'm hoping he'll direct me to the location of his MA.

Secondly, he does influence public opinion on the Afghanistan mission which I would say is relevant to this forum.  Because I'm going to Afghanistan in 2011, I tend to pay close attention to individuals who speak on defence issues especially re: Afghanistan.

Thirdly, since the content of the thread deals with Sunil Ram's  identiy/legitimacy as a Defence Analyst, I thought I'd objectively submit this information for the forum's consideration. 

I have strong feelings about this indivdual's legitimacy but prefer not to air them in public--since he's a member.

Do you find the post objectionable?

Edit: spellin' ag'in

The man is viable loon... Soldier, Academic, CIA Op...next he'll be the founding member of JTF2 and have been running around on secret Canadian missions saving the world and never spilling his martini  ::)

BulletMagnet said:
The man is viable loon... Soldier, Academic, CIA Op...next he'll be the founding member of JTF2 and have been running around on secret Canadian missions saving the world and never spilling his martini  ::)

Thought that was James Bond

;D

I tried watching the video....

I couldn't get passed the point that JM mentioned. But what caught me the most is how Sunil seemingly knew the conversations and occurrence in the white house war room. He spouts them off like it was first hand info and then drops his CIA mission he turns down and says to them this is crazy..then of course he drops in how he is an advisor to the Saudi's and his view should have been all for Iraq invasion...

The man is a waste of good clean air

*The above is my personal opinion of the man and in no way does it refelect Army.ca the Mods or the owner Mike Bobbit*

the 48th regulator said:
:rofl:

Bruce, you may wonder where I find the time for my shennanigans, but man you are the king of the zingers, mate.

+1

dileas

tess

48th, I think you, Bruce and I ought'a make a visit to the Gladstone-comedy hour one night!

Some good, clean heckling-fun ;D

BulletMagnet said:

You forgot to mention he's also now a "Security Consultant for Alexis International." 

leroi said:
Do you find the post objectionable? 

No, I was just wondering where you were going with the postings.  Whether you see him to be a legitmate source of authentic information, that is your decision...

leroi said:

You forgot to mention he's also now a "Security Consultant for Alexis International."

You mean this Alexis International?

The one with these posted as "Mission Statements":

"No one can draw more out of things,
books included, than he already knows.
A man has no ears for that to which
experience has given him no access."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Every morning in Africa,
a lion wakes up.
It must outrun
the slowest gazelle or
it will starve.

Every morning in Africa,
a gazelle wakes up.
It must outrun
the fastest lion
or it will be killed.

It doesn't matter whether
you're a lion or a gazelle.

When the sun comes up
you'd better be running
Source: The Economist

I think that spinning e-mail icons were considered passé by professional web designers about a decade ago.

Who sponsors them? The Comedy Channel?

Michael O'Leary said:
You mean this Alexis International?

The one with these posted as "Mission Statements":

I think that spinning e-mail icons were considered passé by professional web designers about a decade ago.

Who sponsors them? The Comedy Channel?

He's given that credit in the Gladstone clip ... I've never heard of them  Alexis...

If you go back to this, where Sunil Ram came on to the site you can follow his discussion and we won`t have to rehash it:

oldlineman said:
This is Prof. Sunil Ram speaking... the real one not the guy up in Hunstville.

For what it is worth I started at 734 Comm Sqn Regina, I have served briefly with 1CSR Kingston and 731 Com Sqn CFB Shilo and I was a lineman!
Now if any of you know what the Pine Tree Line was and know anything about CFB Shilo at the height of the Cold War... then I don't need to explain myself anymore. For those of you who do not... read your own CF military history. Years later due to shortages of CELE officers I came back to the CF for a short stint as a SIGS officer. Now unless you happen to have a TS/level 3 SC you don't need to know any more.

Why you find my background so curious I have no idea... but note the BIO that was posted is dated and not written by ME! AMU (where I teach edited it and left out all the good bits). Now for those who have been junior James Bond's looking into my background if they actually knew how to use the Internet as a tool they would find numerous corrections due to errors made by the media about me... it does not help that the Huntsville Sunil Ram is constantly confused with me since I was not that willing to chat with the media for years. As an aside I have appeared hundreds of times in the national and international media because I know what I am talking about and because I am consistently correct (well except of the Taliban 2007 Spring offensive-- but hey you can't be right all the time  :D).

Note due to my international work... please never confuse me with some local Canadian analyst, ..................

I will note that he claims to have joined at the age of 17 in 1980 into a Comms Regiment in Regina as a Linesman, not even as a Teletype Op as most girls were in the Comms Regiments of the Day, and well in advance of the IT Training required of LCIS Techs today.  He was in the Comms Reserve until 1986, giving him five or six years as a Reservist.  He also states that he returned to the Comms Reserve as an officer in 1997 and served until 1999, which adds up to another two to three years, and the chance to advance from OCdt to LT.  He may have a maximum total of 9 years as a Reservist which may include perhaps 3 years as an junior officer.

Having been in the Shilo bunker, in the 1970's, I call BS on any "super Secret" claims on his part in reference to it.

Reading this whole thread, we can see that there are glaring errors made by taken advantage of "ommission" on his part to beef up his credentials.  We even see him admit to his credentials having errors on some sites, and his not having corrected them.  He even goes on to advise others to research his credentials online, after admitting that some are not correct. 

If anyone really does their research, his credibility would be clearly defined as not being anywhere near what it is.

"Having been in the Shilo bunker, in the 1970's, I call BS on any "super Secret" claims on his part in reference to it."

Been in the Bunker many a time while still operational, including a tour of the facility after constuction was completed in the early 60's. Not super secret.

leroi, are you Sunil Ram's sister?

Rifleman62,

No I'm not. I'm the least of his fans.

I realize I've inadvertently led people to think otherwise but only in my zeal to expose Ram's latest exploits (in a neutral way so that the forum could judge by seeing the actual stuff Ram's saying/doing).

If I made my real feelings public, I'm afraid I would get Mr. Bobbitt and this site into some trouble.

Sorry to everyone for being vague.

Rifleman62, feel free to pm me you wish me to further clarify my motives/intentions.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20101112/harper-afghan-extension-vote-101112/

I just saw some commentary from Sunil Ram (third video in the above link).  I'm curious if anybody knows what jacket he is wearing?  Is it the same regimental jacket mentioned earlier in this thread?  I found his comment about the Canadian Government lying about the combat nature of the extended training mission in Afghanistan interesting. 

Frankly I've always found his commentary questionable but was surprised to find this thread shedding some light on his background.

Snakedoc said:
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20101112/harper-afghan-extension-vote-101112/

I just saw some commentary from Sunil Ram (third video in the above link).  I'm curious if anybody knows what jacket he is wearing?  Is it the same regimental jacket mentioned earlier in this thread?  I found his comment about the Canadian Government lying about the combat nature of the extended training mission in Afghanistan interesting. 

Frankly I've always found his commentary questionable but was surprised to find this thread shedding some light on his background.

I was also wondering about his tie, looked like a kind of regimental/trade tie. Also wondering about his comment about the number of Afghan soldiers who are drug addicts.

Edit: Went back to the beginning and went through the whole thread. Took a look at the video from March 2009 where is with some panel called the "Real News" and noticed he is wearing the same tie, but a different blazer. Not sure what crest he had on the blazer because frankly after he stated that th had "fought through three wars in the Middle East" I hit the exit button.

The tie is from the Royal Canadian Military Institute -- a bar in Toronto. The blazer crest, I believe, is Signals corps.

Any interview that involves Sunil Ram commenting on statements made by Scott Taylor pretty much establishes the intellectual bankruptcy of the discussion.*

* Imagine how catastrophic the results had CTV News allowed Steven Staples' name to be worked into that sentence  ;D

See here for my earlier comments on his blazer crest. He is, as I said, wearing the crest of a corps of the Canadian Army in which he never served. His bio says he served in the CF from 1980 to 1999. The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals (the blazer crest he is wearing) was dead and buried well before 1980, replaced by the C&E Branch* which has its own crest and badge. The last person entitled to wear that crest on his blazer earned it when Ram was in knee pants. Thus, he is a Walt, a poseur, a fake and so on.

I 'm going to guess that he's wearing a Canadian Forces College tie.**

----------
* "1 October 1968 - integration of the Canadian Forces. RCSIGS personnel, RCEME radio and radar technicians, RCAF Technical Telecommunications personnel and RCN radiomen special were grouped together to form the new Communications and Electronics Branch. All former single element corps and branches ceased to exist."
Source:  http://www.commelec.forces.gc.ca/org/his/bh-hb/chapter-chapitre-06-eng.asp

** Edit: But I defer to JM's younger, keener eyes and agree it is probably the RCMI's tie.

Journeyman said:
Any interview that involves Sunil Ram commenting on statements made by Scott Taylor pretty much establishes the intellectual bankruptcy of the discussion.*

* Imagine how catastrophic the results had CTV News allowed Steven Staples' name to be worked into that sentence  ;D

Hey, hey, hey - those are real kittens dying here....

My favourite bit of Waltism is by Ram, himself:

oldlineman said:
This is Prof. Sunil Ram speaking... the real one not the guy up in Hunstville.

For what it is worth I started at 734 Comm Sqn Regina, I have served briefly with 1CSR Kingston and 731 Com Sqn CFB Shilo and I was a lineman!
Now if any of you know what the Pine Tree Line was and know anything about CFB Shilo at the height of the Cold War... then I don't need to explain myself anymore. For those of you who do not... read your own CF military history. Years later due to shortages of CELE officers I came back to the CF for a short stint as a SIGS officer. Now unless you happen to have a TS/level 3 SC you don't need to know any more.

The Pine Tree Line and the Comm Sqn at the Bridge Site (the bunker) in Shilo were only, ever, loosely related. The Pine Tree Line was a 1950s and early '60s NORAD radar project with its own, dedicated, Royal Canadian Air Force communications network – remember SAGE/BUIC (Semi-Automated Ground Environment and Back Up Interceptor Control?) Project Bridge was a Canadian Army semi-automated telecommunications system built circa 1960 to handle the Army's traffic. After unification in the mid to late 1960s the various single service telecomm networks were integrated into the Canadian Forces Communications System (CFCS) later Command (CFCC). The Bridge sites (bunkers at Nanaimo, Penhold, Shilo, Borden, Carp, etc) formed the main “nodes” of the network, but it was a standard, day-by-day, message handling system. SAGE, for example, continued in operation, passing radar/computer data from Pine Tree, Mid-Canada and DEW Line sites to NORAD Hqs in Canada and at Colorado Springs.

It may be that Sunil Ram need not explain himself to anyone but as a lineman at the “height of the Cold War” it is most likely that he has nothing to explain. Linemen are great folks, hard working, tough, fun to be around – and they work, at a Bridge site, mainly in the “frame room” and on the outside plant. Much of that work is now done by civilian contractors who have no security clearances at all because they have no real, meaningful access to the classified “traffic' that flows through (but rarely stops at) a telecommunications nodal point.

Without I stipulate knowing (or caring) anything about Ram's service, I will agree that as a C&E Branch (Land) officer (who wore Signals on their shoulder flashes but were not, in the 1990s, an official sub-classification, as they are now) he likely had a TS clearance – most C&E officers do - to handle crypto keying material. That task (crypto keymat control and handling) is an essentially clerical function. There are, as many members here know, several security clearance levels within and above TS. Security is a complex business.

I would remind you of Lao Tzu's wisdom which can be, roughly, translated as: “He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know.” (Tao Te Ching - Ch 56.) My appreciation of the situation, based on what he writes and says, is that Sunil Ram says a lot but knows much less. But that's just my opinion - and I say a lot, too.

Back