• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

Something I am interested in regarding the piping over there is what challenges were there for pipe maintenance?  What sort of drone reeds were you using - cane or tupperware?  What did you have to do to keep them going given the temperature and insect conditions?  I am sure this will only be a brief hijack of the thread!

Cheers,

englishmuffin said:
RHFC_piper,
My thoughts echo much of what has been posted. As piper, I am intrigued as to what tunes you played in the Panjwai valley and how they were chosen. I apologise if this has already been gone over however I don't have the time presently to go through 6 pages of posts.

I played Black Bear at the request of WO Mellish, then played that into Scotland the Brave, Wings then Flett from Flotta.
Then I just played around a bit; Caber Feidh, Patty's Leather breaches, Seann Triubhas + Highland laddie, probably a bunch of other tunes the boys requesed... I played for about an hour at sunset the night before, ending with Mull of Kintyre (one of my favs)

I can't remember what I played the next day.

redleafjumper said:
Something I am interested in regarding the piping over there is what challenges were there for pipe maintenance?  What sort of drone reeds were you using - cane or tupperware?  What did you have to do to keep them going given the temperature and insect conditions?  I am sure this will only be a brief hijack of the thread!

Cheers,

Well... I only pulled out my pipes once while I was there, and that was in Panjwayi... They stayed in the HQ G-Wagon, in a backpack I borrowed from my section 3IC, until then.

I was playing a set of old Gibsons (Drones and socks), Ross Zippered Gortex Bag with Canister, Mccallum chanter, MacGerity Ross Chanter Reeds (bought them just before they stopped making them), Eze-drone 'tupperware' drone reeds, and Ash Plugs (drone valves).

I even had an Arid Cadpat Bag Cover and Pipe ribbons made by a guy in Petawawa, who I'm going to have make a bunch of TW Cadpat bag covers.

Maintaining them wasn't hard, I brought My pipe kit over with me.  All you have to do is add a little more hemp to each connection, 'cause its a dryer climate, and if you have a canister bag, take some of the 'kitty litter' out of the canister for the same reason... you won't be blowing that much moisture into the bag, and you'll want to allow what little moisture there is to get through so your chanter reed doesn't dry out too much.

I thought playing there would have been harded due to elevation and such, but I actually had an easier time keeping air in the bag and drones playing stedy even after playing for an hour.  That might be due to the elevation and the dryness.

Anyway, if Hijacking this thread is an issue, I'm sure all this can be moved to another thread...

RHFC_piper said:
Anyway, if Hijacking this thread is an issue, I'm sure all this can be moved to another thread...
way I see it, it's your thread.

Thanks, that's great information.  I wondered if a Gortex bag might work better in that sort of climate when compared to hide and Hardies' Bag Seasoning!
If you follow through on the Cadpat bag covers, etc., please pm me about them.  In dry climates I tend to store my chanter reeds with some slow release moisture to keep them supple without having to resort to the destructive enzymes from licking them. I take it your McCallum chanter was a plastic one for the difficult conditions; they do have surprisingly good tone.

Anyway, thanks and good luck in your recovery.

Cheers

redleafjumper said:
Thanks, that's great information.  I wondered if a Gortex bag might work better in that sort of climate when compared to hide and Hardies' Bag Seasoning!
I haven't played a hide bag in years (that sounds really bad). Our band has had gortex for quite a while now. they're easier to maintain and you can't really use a canister with a hide bag (I haven't seen a hide bag with a zipper)

And in an Arid environment, Hide with seasoning plus sand equals bad.  I can only imagine what kind of mess that would make.

redleafjumper said:
If you follow through on the Cadpat bag covers, etc., please pm me about them.

I'm going to try to get in contact with the guy who's making them for me, and I'll get a price and put in an order.... I'll PM you (and anyone else who's interested) when I get the details.

redleafjumper said:
In dry climates I tend to store my chanter reeds with some slow release moisture to keep them supple without having to resort to the destructive enzymes from licking them.

Sounds like a good idea, I had about 3 spares in my pipe kit and figured they'd do me for the tour.

redleafjumper said:
I take it your McCallum chanter was a plastic one for the difficult conditions; they do have surprisingly good tone.

Yeah.  We've been playing plastic for a few years now.  It makes it easier to maintain tone within the bend when everyone is playing the same thing... especially plastic, less variance between chanters.  The McCallums are great for band tone... but I'd still rather play wood for solo tone.

RHFC_piper said:
I haven't played a hide bag in years (that sounds really bad). 

Good thing this is YOUR thread, or else we'd pummel you for that one

(j/k)

Cheers!

von G

MY dear Piper

I have never written a post before -I have just read  your story and it tears my heart apart, brings tears to my eyes and yet I feel a healing. We have ofthen wonderedhow the wounded in this incident were doing and have wanted to let them know they were in our thoughts and prayers too. In the 2 months since your experience I have learned what a military family really means - I have witnessed the love, the caring, the support that is given to one of their own. Unfortunately I have discovered that from losing my son - your comrade in arms  and friend  - Mark.  We are beginning the healing process as you are - but the scars never will go away. I understand how frightened your family must be for you to return - I have another son who will make that tough decision too. But you have done your job - your job now is too heal physically and emotionally, to share your experiences and to advocate for good care for those  who will return - maybe notwith physcial injuries but with emotional scars. As parents and Canadians we did not think our precious loved  ones would be experiencing what 8 Platoon did. ps did you know Mellish and Graham were distant cousins? if we ever meet I will tell the tale

Hugs and kisses from Mom

mom of two soldiers said:
MY dear Piper

I have never written a post before -I have just read  your story and it tears my heart apart, brings tears to my eyes and yet I feel a healing. We have ofthen wonderedhow the wounded in this incident were doing and have wanted to let them know they were in our thoughts and prayers too. In the 2 months since your experience I have learned what a military family really means - I have witnessed the love, the caring, the support that is given to one of their own. Unfortunately I have discovered that from losing my son - your comrade in arms  and friend  - Mark.  We are beginning the healing process as you are - but the scars never will go away. I understand how frightened your family must be for you to return - I have another son who will make that tough decision too. But you have done your job - your job now is too heal physically and emotionally, to share your experiences and to advocate for good care for those  who will return - maybe notwith physcial injuries but with emotional scars. As parents and Canadians we did not think our precious loved  ones would be experiencing what 8 Platoon did. ps did you know Mellish and Graham were distant cousins? if we ever meet I will tell the tale

Hugs and kisses from Mom

Thank you for the service your sons provided to our country.  Thank you for raising fine men of character.  Please accept my thoughts and prayers for you, Mark's spirit, your son and for your entire family.  As Piper has made clear, the brothership of arms is a tight one...one that it is clear, Mark most certainly belonged to.

:cdn: :salute:

G2G

I was a Honour Guard for Mark's Funeral, even know i didn't know him, hearing the stories in Hamilton, made me realize he was a good man and a good soldier

mom of two soldiers said:
MY dear Piper

Hugs and kisses from Mom

I will make myself available anytime you need or want to talk. 

I only really started to get to know Mark just a few weeks before deployment, we had talked during work up but not as much.

He was an inspirational man, a proud soldier, an amazing athlete, and great Canadian... He will be missed by so many.

I would love any opportunity to learn more about him... expect an email mom of two soldiers... and thank you.  :salute: :cdn:

Mom of two Soldiers - Long before I heard of Mark Graham the soldier, I admired his accomplishments as an athlete.  I'm very sorry for your loss.

I took up piping when I turned 50.  Now I am curious about your - say- 10 favorite piping tunes. What are they?  Are you still playing them?  Any tips about pipe maintenance in a hostile climate?  Well done & thanks

HI I am a mom of a soldier who just returned to Afghanistan this week after bringing his best friend home to bury, this is a terrible thing to have to do, they are such young men. I am sure that my son feels the same way as you as when he was home he was getting anxious to get back to be with his "brothers". You have certainly done your time and did your country proud.

Mrs Graham. Permit me to offer my personal condolences and admiration to you. Your son was an outstanding soldier and his loss, to your and our Regimental family, will be felt for many, many years to come. May the Lord bless you during this time and forever.

Mike.

Remember1.jpg

:cdn:Hey Piper
Hang in there brother!  I to just recently came home from KAF.  It's been almost 2 months now, but the memories (bad and good) are still fresh.  Although I'm only a clk, I certainly understand the suffering of our "front line" soldiers.  All the while while on KAF we (clk's) felt for the "boys"everyday.  We all said that if we could give our danger pay away, we would, and give it to the soldiers such as yourselves.  I spent 7 months in Afghanistan, from Kabul to Bagram to Kandahar, but mostly in KAF.  We all were certainly under some threat pretty much everyday.  Wondering where the next rocket would land on base, to wondering when the next Comms lockout would be.  For those who don't know, when there is a comms lockout, someone is either injured seriously, or ....!  Alls I can say Piper is to hang in there man.  Believe it or not, there are numerous programs avail to us if and when you need them.

Weiner

Piper,

Just so you know, we've got this thread bookmarked on Charles' laptop and the guys have been checking it out. Very well put. We all send our best and Pinchy says Hi.

Ask HitorMiss who I am.

:cdn:cant say i know whats going on in your mind but i will say thank you. thank you for being there for our country.thank you for being you.life does go on, but wanting to go back is also understandable. however you have served your duty, wouldnt you like to start a family for yourself now? whatever you do i hope you choose to be happy, that is all that matters,and no mater what you  choose as a canadian  i for one am dang proud of you and the rest of the men and women over there .

Piper, Play Black Bear!!!

Thank-you for sharing your feelings and experiences.  I'm speechless, THANK-YOU from the bottom of my heart.

I have been trying to track you down since I first read your story.  Your an inspiration, you are dedicated and you are loyal.  A true ROYAL!!!

We will meet one day face to face, I'll have a group hug waiting for you from all of us.

I wish you a speedy recovery, stay strong, and soldier on!

To Charles Company, 1RCR, my thoughts and prays are with you all as the battle continues.
Stay strong and soldier on!!
Frank was proud to be your WO, he was proud to be a ROYAL!!!
He wrote:

"In my time I have been around the world and lived it's news headlines.  I have been boo-ed and applauded.  I have seen death and despair. Seen birth and growth.  Lived through horrors and held onto hope. I have lived times that others would say were best forgotten, after it all, I will be able to say that, I am proud of who I am... A soldier 
Pro Patria/Airborne!
F.R. Mellish
WO
8Pl, Charles Coy,
1RCR"

Nov 11th will be a little harder this year, but we will stand there proud, tears and all!

Our lives have change forever, 
Kendra Mellish  :salute: :salute: :salute:

this november 11th, i know personally i will be thinking about everyone,not just the vets and the past of ww1 n ww2, but mostly of the men and women there now.they deserve our praise and applause as well, and yes most certainly so do men and women of the past wars. :salute: :cdn:

Back