• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CV3, anyone? My Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaketnk

Inactive
Reaction score
My father served as an FCS Tech (Electronic Optronic Technician these days, I believe) for 25 years, and I've always had an enormous interest in both the military and its technology. As a result of that, I spent a lot of my free time as a youth at my dad's EME shop, often after hours where he let me play with cool toys such as small arms, Leopard C2s, and all kinds of stuff in between. As a kid, my dad would always make sure I had a pair of old CF Combat trousers and tunic to wear when I went out into the forest with other kids to play army. So, for nearly as long as I could remember, I've wanted to be in the CF.

Fast forward a decade or so later, realizing that I maybe didn't want the nomadic life of a member of the Forces, I decided it would be a better idea to get into some kind of civilian occupation. In high school, I discovered another passion of mine: Video production. For the end of my High School, and into my CEGEP(Pre-University for those non-Quebecois), it was the centre of my life. I worked full time at a Television station, covered live events, and all that jazz. When my father retired, he had a short stint working with FATS before getting snatched up by the Coast Guard, which forced him to move out to the Maritimes. I, hoping to put an end to the nomadic life I've lived thus far, decided to stay back and stay on the course of getting into the Television industry.

In the couple of years I've lived on my own, my confidence grew to the point I felt confidant enough to apply for the Canadian Forces reserves, which to me, seemed like an ideal situation because I got to stay where I was with my friends and familiar environment, but I got the experience all the adventure I've always wanted to with the CF. I applied to a reserve signals unit here in Montreal after weeks of contemplation and perfecting my application. After thinking what I was about to do, I realized I had made the wrong choice. The only thing that prevented me from making the right choice was fear of change, and fear of uncertainty. A couple of weeks after submitting my application to the Primary Reserves, I filled out another application; This time for Regulars. My three choices were as folllows: Weapon Tech, Infanteer, Armoured Soldier.

My dream was to become a weapon tech; it's a subject I've been fascinated about my whole life, to the point that when I was a child, I suggested to my Catholic school principal that it would be a really good subject to teach. The only reason I bothered to put down anything else was because of a slight problem I couldn't do anything about; I was colourblind. To what extent my colourblindness affected me I didn't know, as my optometrist used a different method than the Forces supposedly did (according to this site). In any case, I got a call to do my CFAT, so I bought myself a Public Service Exam Preparation book, which helped refresh my problem solving skills which have been unused for years, and got me used to test taking again. I went to do my CFAT, and, while I found some sections challenging, I was told I passed. I got a date for my medical and interview (both on the same day)

When the interview/medical day came about, I was eager to find out wether my dreams of a weapons tech were realistic or not. The Medical came around, everything was fine, then we got to the seeing section. Eyesight, periphery, all that was fine (though I was given a paper to be filled my optometrist, who happened to be my best friends' dad, so that wasn't an issue) and I failed the Coloured-dots test (can't recall the name) outright, and when they brought the D-X test (The coloured pots in a row) test, I did it twice, she told me I was borderline, so I did it a second time, and the Corporal that administered the test told me that it wasn't conclusive, and she noted it in my file for when I went to see the Sergeant. And the Sergeant immediately looked at the tests and wrote down the dreaded "CV3"  right on the front of the stack of papers in a nice, bold circle.

When interview time came, Obviously my choice of Weapon Tech had been eliminated (as well as most other trades in the CF) by my poor colour vision (Which, according to my Optometrist is Protanopia, if anyone's interested). The rest of the interview (Now I was applying for infantry in the RCR) went splendidly; the Captain told me I had received extraordinary marks on my CFAT, and she was really nice, friendly, and informal about everything. At the end of the interview, she told me she would recommend me for employment, and that she looks forward to seeing me in Uniform.

I brought back the optometrist's form earlier this week, and I was told my file is on it's way to Ottawa now. I can't wait to get the call to get sworn in and sent off to St Jean (which is only about 40 mins from where I live).

I may have not achieved what I had hoped to (Weapon Tech) but hey, everything happens for a reason, and I will certainly pour everything I have into being the best Infanteer I can be. I know that sounded cheesy, but I digress.

Has anyone else run into problems with the little devil CV3?

Theres a million threads on eyesight problems....

milnet.ca staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back