• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

I actually liked the two DEU uniforms the Airforce issues. Light weight and heavy weight. :unsure: :rolleyes:

The RCAF got rid of the two weight uniforms.

Why not bundle 2. and 2.1 together, at least as far as the base items and excluding mess dress? RCN and RCAF will be need enough of a limited number of patterns to enjoy some economy of scale, and the Army's kit boils down to high-collared jackets, striped trousers or kilt, and an assortment of caps/hats, generally in blue, dark green, or red.

Give everyone HCW jackets for summer ceremonial.

I put in 2.1 because I can recognize different regiments have an attachment to certain items, and I can appreciate that. I just don't think the tax payer should be footing the bill for it. So make it a regimentally/association funded item.

As for cuts and mix and match I am not concerned about that, that's an RSM problem. My point is streamlining the orders of dress, and make them make sense.

I actually liked the two DEU uniforms the Airforce issues. Light weight and heavy weight. :unsure: :rolleyes:
I liked the concept of two weights - and back with the Army Summer Tans and Winter Greens, was much nicer than a 1 weight garment - and honestly I felt the Tans where a better look for the Army than the Greens - but I think at the end of the day, 1 uniform is more practical.

That’s a Bingo

Frankly for the field force there isn’t much more need of anything other than the combat uniform, a dress uniform and a PT outfit.

Pretty sure the workers in the Air Force and Navy, don’t need another uniform as well.

Cost savings would be realized by not having several different uniforms to stock.

Office dress for those in offices - can be 3B, I mean it’s almost like this was though through
There is some pretty specific requirements for the NCDs and flight suits that the combats don't meet, and also some combats requirement that aren't needed for the NCDs and flight suits.

For the NCDs anyway though, oil rigs etc all have the same functional requirements, so the only difference is we slap a bunch of flair on ours. The new NCD black shirts are a lot thicker than I thought; instead of having a light weight shirt with just your name tag and ranks, with a double layer jacket when it was cold (and for extra FR with velcro for flair), the default is now one double layered (and hot) black shirt with a whack of flair. It may look more 'army' but it's a functional step back IMHO.

There is some pretty specific requirements for the NCDs and flight suits that the combats don't meet, and also some combats requirement that aren't needed for the NCDs and flight suits.
That’s an Army fail as there most definitely is a FR need in the Army.

For the NCDs anyway though, oil rigs etc all have the same functional requirements, so the only difference is we slap a bunch of flair on ours. The new NCD black shirts are a lot thicker than I thought; instead of having a light weight shirt with just your name tag and ranks, with a double layer jacket when it was cold (and for extra FR with velcro for flair), the default is now one double layered (and hot) black shirt with a whack of flair. It may look more 'army' but it's a functional step back IMHO.
I’m not suggesting the AF and Navy adopt Combats - I’m suggesting 1 operational uniform / service (or requirement if some services require more than 1 type of operational uniform).

I simply used combats as a catch all.

That’s an Army fail as there most definitely is a FR need in the Army.

I’m not suggesting the AF and Navy adopt Combats - I’m suggesting 1 operational uniform / service (or requirement if some services require more than 1 type of operational uniform).

I simply used combats as a catch all.
I think that can actually tend to cost more when you lump in all the requirements into one, then you end up with a universal uniform with a ton of compromises which is kind of shit for everyone.

It's not really rocket science though, the CAF just makes the process way more complicated then it needs to be.

Wrt FR, I think it may conflict with some of the other properties of the cadpat material, but do people like armored not have some kind of FR protection, outside a flash hood?

I've seen the actual testing, and the uniform we have is very effective against flash exposures (like a blast) and is the difference between almost no burns and third degree burns that would stop you from being able to evacuate. Not as bad as a bunny soot for being hot but probably would suck for something like arid combats. For cooler weather, or inside a climate control, having that second layer with the jacket was nice anyway as it gave you an option that wasn't the sweaty rain jacket or the goretex winter coat.

The RCAF got rid of the two weight uniforms.
Thats sad, at first I was like why two sets of DEUs. Then I was like wow this is nice.

The best thing about the Airforce Uniform was the summer weight pants. Throw a set of thermal underneath for Nov 11th parade. You were still good for the legion afterwards and not sweating.

I think that can actually tend to cost more when you lump in all the requirements into one, then you end up with a universal uniform with a ton of compromises which is kind of shit for everyone.
Again I am not saying 1 combat uniform, I am saying requirement specific operational uniforms.
It's not really rocket science though, the CAF just makes the process way more complicated then it needs to be.

Wrt FR, I think it may conflict with some of the other properties of the cadpat material, but do people like armored not have some kind of FR protection, outside a flash hood?
This is part of my point - a vehicle crew needs FR - regardless of trade.
I've seen the actual testing, and the uniform we have is very effective against flash exposures (like a blast) and is the difference between almost no burns and third degree burns that would stop you from being able to evacuate. Not as bad as a bunny soot for being hot but probably would suck for something like arid combats.
Hot weather sucks for everything unless you are at the beach - personally I will sacrifice a little comfort for not being a melted burned flesh-sicle - I may sacrifice a second FR layer if I'm doing dismounted SR work - but anything that has some degree of vehicle ops, I'll go for the double double ;)
For cooler weather, or inside a climate control, having that second layer with the jacket was nice anyway as it gave you an option that wasn't the sweaty rain jacket or the goretex winter coat.

15 apparently

Only if you read that outdated and abbreviated pam. If you scan the current "Part 1" of their dress regs . . .
. . . you'll find 20 orders of dress. Environmental considerations (tropical and greatcoat orders of dress) account for the additions.

And then there is "Part 2", that deals with uniforms for the Pipes and Drums.

Only if you read that outdated and abbreviated pam. If you scan the current "Part 1" of their dress regs . . .
. . . you'll find 20 orders of dress. Environmental considerations (tropical and greatcoat orders of dress) account for the additions.

And then there is "Part 2", that deals with uniforms for the Pipes and Drums.

Miscounted. There are 25 orders of dress. They doubled/tripled up in the entries for the tropical uniforms (No4A, 4B, 4C; No6A, 6B, 6C; No11A, 11B).

Time to cull the orders of dress and remove all public support for anything but the basics. If a unit can't find sugar daddies to pay for hats, skirts and jackets outside the basic DEU, you revert to the basic DEU.

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Time to cull the orders of dress and remove all public support for anything but the basics. If a unit can't find sugar daddies to pay for hats, skirts and jackets outside the basic DEU, you revert to the basic DEU.
It’s pretty much how it is now though? Maybe a small group of units total that can access public funds for unit uniforms?

Both guards units, the artillery. Anyone else?

It’s pretty much how it is now though? Maybe a small group of units total that can access public funds for unit uniforms?

Both guards units, the artillery. Anyone else?
Kilts and their related jackets and hats. Two or so orders of dress exclusively for MilCols. Weird hats in Sudbury.

Back