• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

When I was a very young officer, back when the earth was still cooling:

There were many names for "dinners" -
  • "Dining in" generally referred to an informal event involving the officers (or NCOs) of one unit only - it was a multi-course meal and each unit had its own rules (including when and how a member might leave the table before the loyal toasts), dress was, generally, patrol dress for serving officers and black tie, (dinner jacket, tuxedo) for retired officers;
  • "Mess dinners," sometimes called "guest nights," were a step up - more courses, more rules. Dress was mess kit for serving officers and white tie (tail coat) for retired members and civilian guests.
  • Ladies nights were of various levels of formality - I recall attending a couple low very formal ones - but the rules were relaxed.
Uniforms were worn only by serving members - retired members were expected to own both black tie and white tie, both fitted for medals.

Civilian, formal, highland dress was very popular because it was usually a bit cheaper than black tie plus white tie.

Uniforms were worn only by serving members - retired members were expected to own both black tie and white tie, both fitted for medals.

Civilian, formal, highland dress was very popular because it was usually a bit cheaper than black tie plus white tie.

This is what I can't get my head around... retired people wearing their Mess Kit with all the rank etc still attached.

Watching a serving soldier salute one of these people at a mess event was just... just... weird, and not in a good way.

@daftandbarmy

This is what I can't get my head around... retired people wearing their Mess Kit with all the rank etc still attached.

Watching a serving soldier salute one of these people at a mess event was just... just... weird, and not in a good way.

Exactly, I don't know why some want to play dress up or LARP after they get out; but I also don't think there is much the CAF can do about it unless they are actually trying to do something nefarious.

I will sell my Mess Kit once I finally retire or get buried in it. Which ever comes first! :oops:

Tuxedo for me when I get out. Will work with the one or two regimental events I’ll attend annually and the cruise circuit my wife wants to take. Cost efficient.

Back