• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Current Dress Regs

I think hair colour is often a distraction from the main complaint that I hear, people look scraggly and unkempt. Neon hair in a professional looking style (short, up in a bun, brushed shoulder length, etc.) is better than hair in a natural colour that is all over the place.
Absolutely. Between here and other social media, there seems to be a widespread conflation of those two concepts.

Or, even weirder, dress regs in general - such as ill-fitting uniforms or badges out of place. That didn’t start in 2022.

Last edited:
There are lots of problems, ill fitting uniforms being one. But control the things within your own control - a professional appearance. And yes, there needs to be some fencing on what the organization considers professional - it can't be left up to "individuals" to decide.

While a person's hair colour doesn't generally matter to me, I can say that most fluorescent hair colours don't appeal to me personally. However, I have yet to have anyone provide any empirical data that indicates it poses more of a threat in an operational environment than someone with bleach blonde or pure white hair, both of which have always been allowed in the dress Regs.
Well it provides more of a threat because now with the increased allowed length it is obvious.

Short hair didn’t really matter what colour it was as it wasn’t visible. Fluorescent beards with long hair stand out a lot more.

While a person's hair colour doesn't generally matter to me, I can say that most fluorescent hair colours don't appeal to me personally. However, I have yet to have anyone provide any empirical data that indicates it poses more of a threat in an operational environment than someone with bleach blonde or pure white hair, both of which have always been allowed in the dress Regs.
On the other hand, I don't know of any religious requirements for coloured hair. While I am sure that there may be other perceptions of coloured hair in other parts of the world, coloured hair in the West is normally used for someone to express individuality or rebel against expectations, but of which is counterintuitive to the conformity that is required in the CAF.

If the average professional organization wouldn't hire someone based on their physical appearance, why should the Forces allow it?

Well it provides more of a threat because now with the increased allowed length it is obvious.

Short hair didn’t really matter what colour it was as it wasn’t visible. Fluorescent beards with long hair stand out a lot more.
…and it goes back to the point that COs, etc can order it cut or coloured for operational reasons, which people seem to forget. It’s the same as BEARDFORGEN.

If we’re in that sort of level within Canada, then there are bigger issues. We don’t walk around with our gas masks - I would suspect that a good portion of the CAF doesn’t even know where theirs is, or have a canister.

…and it goes back to the point that COs, etc can order it cut or coloured for operational reasons, which people seem to forget. It’s the same as BEARDFORGEN.

If we’re in that sort of level within Canada, then there are bigger issues. We don’t walk around with our gas masks - I would suspect that a good portion of the CAF doesn’t even know where theirs is, or have a canister.
Short hair, natural colour, clean shaven for all. That is a military hair style as learned from lessons in two world wars and Korea.

No religious exemptions, no exemptions based off sex, no exemptions based off nationality. One standard for all thats completely justifiable from a health and safety standpoint.

If we want to rebuild the CAF we might want to start with giving them something to take pride in, as what they have pushed out over the last decade is anything but.

Individuality doesn’t work well in a military setting. If anything it undermines it.

Short hair, natural colour, clean shaven for all. That is a military hair style as learned from lessons in two world wars and Korea.

No religious exemptions, no exemptions based off sex, no exemptions based off nationality. One standard for all thats completely justifiable from a health and safety standpoint.

If we want to rebuild the CAF we might want to start with giving them something to take pride in, as what they have pushed out over the last decade is anything but.

Individuality doesn’t work well in a military setting. If anything it undermines it.
That's like suggesting everybody be issued a unicorn after basic...

No professional military requires the same hair standards for men and women. It's ridiculous to even suggest it. So ridiculous that it undermines any point you may have wanted to make.

Yeah great, that’ll help recruitment

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Well, that may be Army lessons learned (even then, I am not so sure), but not Navy: We had long hair ( as compared to the army anyway) with some even long enough for seamen to have them in a ponytail in WW1 and WW2, they weren't coloured, but then colouring hair was unknown in those days, and clean shaven??? Hello! Beards on sailors all around.

Tie beard growing to APS, like playoffs in hockey. APS over? Shave it!

That's like suggesting everybody be issued a unicorn after basic...

No professional military requires the same hair standards for men and women. It's ridiculous to even suggest it. So ridiculous that it undermines any point you may have wanted to make.
It’s sexist to not have the same standards for men and women. The fact we didn’t have the same standard when we started letting women into the ranks is what started the whole sexist, racist dress policies we had before we completely let them go.

I understand it wouldn’t be popular with many, however from a operational standpoint it is what the standard should be. Everything else is just mediating risk.
Well, that may be Army lessons learned (even then, I am not so sure), but not Navy: We had long hair ( as compared to the army anyway) with some even long enough for seamen to have them in a ponytail in WW1 and WW2, they weren't coloured, but then colouring hair was unknown in those days, and clean shaven??? Hello! Beards on sailors all around.

It is army lessons learned. Pre-WWI we had long hair, beards, etc. the trenches changed that.

Navy is a bit different for longer hair as there is the facilities to deal with it. However for beards that is the main organization which 100% of the time shouldn’t have it due to the firefighting requirements.

Others its for respirators, gas masks, etc. which can be argued for a different standard based off what is going on at the given time.

I have no delusions in my mind we will go back to that standard, my opinion is simply that it is the best practice all around. And as the best practice it should be what we strive for.

It’s sexist to not have the same standards for men and women. The fact we didn’t have the same standard when we started letting women into the ranks is what started the whole sexist, racist dress policies we had before we completely let them go.

I understand it wouldn’t be popular with many, however from a operational standpoint it is what the standard should be. Everything else is just mediating risk.

It is army lessons learned. Pre-WWI we had long hair, beards, etc. the trenches changed that.

Navy is a bit different for longer hair as there is the facilities to deal with it. However for beards that is the main organization which 100% of the time shouldn’t have it due to the firefighting requirements.

Others its for respirators, gas masks, etc. which can be argued for a different standard based off what is going on at the given time.

I have no delusions in my mind we will go back to that standard, my opinion is simply that it is the best practice all around. And as the best practice it should be what we strive for.
The policy allows commanders to restrict grooming standards for operational reasons.

Did women with long hair perform at lower standards than those other women with short hair in Afghanistan?

Yes, we need a single standard for all. That standard is not short hair for everyone. The environment between WW1 and now are very different and the reason short hair was mandated then may not apply today.

I was trying to say that and all I could come up with was a gif. Thank you!

Back